Remove Advertisements

[10N] horridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10N] horridon

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 am

Anyone got some advice? We are dying on the 2nd door, in part because the adds doesn't wanna stick to the other tank.

I stopped doing aoe and my battle healer glyph and I still peel off the adds from the add tank for that door.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Re: [10N] horridon

Postby daishan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 am

I was having problems with my healing aggro taking adds off my co tank last night on heroic.
I ended up turning off RF after the 1st 40-60 sec of the fight, worked really well could even use the occasional AS to interrupt an add with out getting aggro.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Corthalis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 am

We had the same issue the first couple of weeks on Normal. I (Pally) solo tank the boss(Bubble, BOPx2, Bubble for triple puncture stacks), but make sure that I'm closer to the center of the room than I am to the door. My raiders stand at the top of the arc next to the door and the add tank (Warrior) runs around like a mad man trying to pick everything up. Our rogue and hunter tricks/md to him pretty much on cooldown. I still pick up the odd add now and then, but either my cleave wears them down or he taunts off me when/if he can.
Corthalis

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:17 am

I was thinking of solo tanking the boss, but tanking the boss is not the problem is that while tanking the boss, the adds would rather stick to me than to the add tank (warrior)
---
Klaudandus

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:I was thinking of solo tanking the boss, but tanking the boss is not the problem is that while tanking the boss, the adds would rather stick to me than to the add tank (warrior)

Do you have a Rogue or Hunter?

And do you mean the ones that come out of the gates, or the ones that that drop down?

The problem could also be positioning - if you're close enough that the Warrior is losing adds to you you'll want to tank the boss closer out to the middle of the arena.

The way we do it is I keep the boss about 1/4 of the arena away from the gate, with my dedicated healer between me and the raid so they can reach both. People who get Charge on them have to move right away and position so the boss's cone effect doesn't hit raid, then he comes back to me and I reposition.

The only gate this is different on is the 3rd gate, where I h ave the boss in the middle of the arena, with the DPS closer to the boss than the adds, and our OT between them and the gate - lots of CC on the ones that come from the gate because of their debuff - and I try to get in position to keep my beefy SS on the OT to help mitigate those mortal strikes. (We also Lust at this gate, because eff those jerks.)

Fourth gate is the same as the first two, then pull him to the middle away from orbs/totems for the last phase.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Chronos » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am

Helped our group a lot to have a good dps dedicated to skull marking priests and calling dinomancer inc in 5 and spawned. Tank had an easier time as threat was focused and priests and dinomancer died quick - fewer adds around. I bet your biggest problem is everyone is a bit too close to the door. When the priests drop down its easier to grab 'em if you give yourself some distance from the door so they spawn right on top of you, and not between you and the other tank.
Chronos

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 am

Hmm... I tank him halfway between the center and the halfcircle that gives the door a nice look =P

we do have a rogue, but even with tricks, I think the warrior cannot keep the threat on the guys, and the guys the tank has the most trouble with are the ones jumping down
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 am

Chronos wrote:Helped our group a lot to have a good dps dedicated to skull marking priests and calling dinomancer inc in 5 and spawned. Tank had an easier time as threat was focused and priests and dinomancer died quick - fewer adds around. I bet your biggest problem is everyone is a bit too close to the door. When the priests drop down its easier to grab 'em if you give yourself some distance from the door so they spawn right on top of you, and not between you and the other tank.

Do i want the guys that jump off to be on me!?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 am

Thinking about this some more - with the way Warrior Threat works, they shouldn't be having this many problems.

Are they saving Thunderclap for when the adds spawn from the gate? A Thunderclap+Cleave would go a long way there. The last time I saw a problem like this I noticed the biggest problem was that the Warrior was using all their rage on their AM - in a fight where add control is so important, they'll want to use their rage on threat. The adds don't hit hard enough to warrant high AM uptime until you're getting Mortal Strikes on the third gate, so controlling them should be his first priority.

For the adds that drop down - he might need some assistance getting them to him through MDs or ToT, but if he's not in the habit of doing it using his Heroic Leap+Charge back to current target or Taunt+Heroic Throw are things to consider.

Little things are also important here - often overlooked is using taunt first, THEN your ranged abilities. This way you establish threat and then add to it, as opposed to add damage and then baseline your threat. That could make the difference between a ranged enemy coming for you or saying "lolwut" and running for someone else when they're done casting.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Chronos wrote:Helped our group a lot to have a good dps dedicated to skull marking priests and calling dinomancer inc in 5 and spawned. Tank had an easier time as threat was focused and priests and dinomancer died quick - fewer adds around. I bet your biggest problem is everyone is a bit too close to the door. When the priests drop down its easier to grab 'em if you give yourself some distance from the door so they spawn right on top of you, and not between you and the other tank.

Do i want the guys that jump off to be on me!?

You do not. Those are typically the priority kill targets, so you want them with the other adds for cleaves/AoE. That might work for a clearer line of vision for your co-tank to see and taunt/gain aggro.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

I'll bring that up, but its my first time with this raid group.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:I'll bring that up, but its my first time with this raid group.

Don't be shy about speaking up!

Also, from everything you've said, I'd be willing to bet the issue IS that the Warrior is either using rage for AM instead of threat or possibly they aren't Hit/Exp capped and are starving themselves for the rage they need for that threat.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I saw two suggestions in this thread that will solve your problem:

1. Turn off RF after you've solidified your Horridon threat. This, alone, should be enough.

2. Tank the boss further away. If the adds are landing on you/the boss, you're too close.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you need to start looking into what your co-tank is doing wrong.
Belloc

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Well... Door 1 and Door 2 are cleanly done now for the most part... Door 3 is kicking our asses though.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Are you using hero on door 3? We used it when the first frost guy was around 60-70%. The warriors have very little health (around 700k?) while the champions have a lot more, so it's worth multi-dotting/cleaving down warriors while prioritising the frozen warlords and ignoring the champions. Both warriors and champions run around randomly targeting people, so throwing pets at them greatly reduces the damage takes from the disease stacks - army's great for this and I know works for sure, but logically stuff like mirror images, stampede, elementals etc should have similar effect.
Rhiannon

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)