Remove Advertisements

Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Passionario » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 am

Barathorn wrote:Don't get sucked in and over order for Dragons Maze though as the 3rd sets always tend to be under powered for the block.

Apocalypse was a good one. But other than that, I agree.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Thalia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 am

Yeah, we are right next to Uncle's Games, and we are at a mall.

So Uncle's holds events and pre-release events. Since we don't sell packs, just single we sponsor part of the prize pools. We have a great relationship with Uncle's staff in Redmond and with their blessing we started selling the singles, since they sell the packs and their main bosses don't ever want to dip their feet into the singles pool.

It's cool that we are in Bellevue, Washington, we are a stone's throw from Wizards of the Coast, so we get a lot of ex Wizard's employees bringing us some interesting cards.

For the Gatecrash Pre-release Uncle's ended up attracting about 275 players for their event, it was pretty big. And the designer of Dragon's Maze was there, was so cool! For Dragon's Maze we will also be sponsoring prize pool again, and Uncle's anticipates over 300 participants this time, so not sure how it is gonna go.

Lola
Thalia

Postby Aergis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 am

Aweosme Bara!
I was looking into naya for a while, but mostly just play for funzies. Lately I've been on an evolve kick, corpsejack menaace + bioshift + evolving creatures, maybe throw in some flickering bigger creatures with ghostly flicker. Seems fun and bioshifting the counters around with a corpsejack leads to some pretty interesting results. Last time I tried it I ended up with a 100/80 creature that got completely shut down by damn fogbank...

Sadly maintankadin got blocked at Microsoft, so I can't read anymore at work. :evil:
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm

lol dude i was joking around... seems like big aggro decks are all the rage nowadays... my roommate has been trying to make decks with unorthodox victory conditions for a while now and keeps getting stomped by creatures in his face.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Sabindeus wrote:lol dude i was joking around... seems like big aggro decks are all the rage nowadays... my roommate has been trying to make decks with unorthodox victory conditions for a while now and keeps getting stomped by creatures in his face.

Creature decks are certainly benefiting from a lot of power creep :).

I am still confident in the UWR but am likely to be playing something rogue as we have a decent 'team' deck we have all worked on for the WMCQ's.

Aergis wrote:Aweosme Bara!
I was looking into naya for a while, but mostly just play for funzies. Lately I've been on an evolve kick, corpsejack menaace + bioshift + evolving creatures, maybe throw in some flickering bigger creatures with ghostly flicker. Seems fun and bioshifting the counters around with a corpsejack leads to some pretty interesting results. Last time I tried it I ended up with a 100/80 creature that got completely shut down by damn fogbank...

Sadly maintankadin got blocked at Microsoft, so I can't read anymore at work. :evil:

Ah well if you have any ideas or rules interactions you need help with just shout :).
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Aergis wrote:Aweosme Bara!

fog bank ftw!
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Gracerath » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Dang. So my brother and his friend started playing again but they all play "fast magic" or basically, draw up to 7 every turn and you can lay down as many lands per turn as you want. When I started, that's how I first learned but then I learned how to play it the real way and haven't looked back. So sadly I can't play with them at all cause they have huge decks and I have standard 60 card decks. If I play fast magic with mine, I get stomped cause its not set up for that and if they play standard against mine, I poop all over them cause mine are better suited.

Just as well. My old dusty decks can't keep up with all the new mechanics.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Aergis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 pm

I know that overall Dragonmaze will be weak comparitively, but from a retail point of view I'm excited to have that many shocklands in a single set. Having 10+ rares top $10 means I want as many cases as possible...

How long before the price bottoms out to $5 or less?
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Barathorn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 am

Aergis wrote:I know that overall Dragonmaze will be weak comparitively, but from a retail point of view I'm excited to have that many shocklands in a single set. Having 10+ rares top $10 means I want as many cases as possible...

How long before the price bottoms out to $5 or less?

Probably not long as the demand will be lessened as the majority of competitive players will already have the full sets by now. This means you target groups will be new players and casual players so there could be an influx of shocklands sitting there going stagnant. Before Modern became a format you couldn't get rid of the shocklands for 2E each so I would be very careful from a retail point of view. The demand will be there but I expect it to be pretty low.

Gracerath wrote:Dang. So my brother and his friend started playing again but they all play "fast magic" or basically, draw up to 7 every turn and you can lay down as many lands per turn as you want. When I started, that's how I first learned but then I learned how to play it the real way and haven't looked back. So sadly I can't play with them at all cause they have huge decks and I have standard 60 card decks. If I play fast magic with mine, I get stomped cause its not set up for that and if they play standard against mine, I poop all over them cause mine are better suited.

Just as well. My old dusty decks can't keep up with all the new mechanics.

I have never played this way. It seems chaotic but then a lot of my friends used to play with no restrictions on card numbers and 250 card decks with 30 counterspells were commonplace. I didn't often play in that kind of game though as I wanted to play in competitions.

Its tricky, perhaps find some common ground somewhere if thats even possible?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:17 am

Do tournament decks have an upper limit now? I always thought it was just a minimum of 60 cards (no max) + 15 card sideboard. Or did you mean no limit to the number of each card on an individual basis (4+ "Counterspell", 4+ "Shock", etc.)?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Alacia » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Do tournament decks have an upper limit now? I always thought it was just a minimum of 60 cards (no max) + 15 card sideboard. Or did you mean no limit to the number of each card on an individual basis (4+ "Counterspell", 4+ "Shock", etc.)?

There's no upper limit, you just have to be able to shuffle it in a timely manner (3 minutes if memory serves). There were even some Battle of Wits decks around in tournaments last summer, back when we still had the tutor-ish effects from SoM block.
Alacia

Postby Erendis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm

I started playing again recently. Built a Red/Blue control deck on the cheap. I think the Sulfur Falls and Steam Vents are my most expensive cards.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 am

Alacia wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Do tournament decks have an upper limit now? I always thought it was just a minimum of 60 cards (no max) + 15 card sideboard. Or did you mean no limit to the number of each card on an individual basis (4+ "Counterspell", 4+ "Shock", etc.)?

There's no upper limit, you just have to be able to shuffle it in a timely manner (3 minutes if memory serves). There were even some Battle of Wits decks around in tournaments last summer, back when we still had the tutor-ish effects from SoM block.

This pretty much, 60 cards minimum for constructed decks with your sideboard being 15 cards exactly. Each card other than basic land may only have 4 copies of that card per deck in all constructed formats except vintage which has a restricted list of 1 of cards you may use.

Erendis wrote:I started playing again recently. Built a Red/Blue control deck on the cheap. I think the Sulfur Falls and Steam Vents are my most expensive cards.

Entirely viable but not tier 1 [yet :)]. I have a soft spot for Red/Blue, won a lot of games playing counterhammer in the late 90's.

Counterflux is strong currently, even with Cavern of Souls and creatures being a big thing.

Barathorn

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 am

I think the last time I played 'for real' was when Tolarian Academy was all the rage. I always played the same styles of decks. For a while, I was running Hidden Horror / Shallow Grave / Corpse Dance, which then led to Call of the Wild Living Death shenanigans.

I actually, for a while in the Tempest era, fielded a creatureless black Anvil of Bogardin / Megrim Deck that annihilated people. Did fairly well at the Origins tourney that year, cracking top 8, and then I met up with a crazy Counter deck that crushed my soul.

I've played Commander a few times since then, and My son wanted to learn how to play so I taught him, so I have a few constructed decks together, and I still have a "Black Sligh" deck that I'm sure would get decimated in the current environment of constructed.
Shoju

Postby Heil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm

It's nice to see a lot of familiar names from the forums be pretty into the MTG, I played for a bit in middle school circa 4th edition Ice Age and then basically quit when Exedous came out and it was time for HS. Anyways, I had saved all my cards and had an absolute BLAST going through all of them last year when I made the decision to sell them for extra cash, what with being a dad and all...

I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to find a professional buyer in Chicagoland and was even more lol'ed when the shop keepers had to go out and get more cash to pay me off. While I was doing, what I thought was the helpful thing, by sorting all of my cards by expansion and noting the rares, I did look into the state of the game and was pretty amazed at the Innistrad block. I swear, it took all my will power not to just give that store back all the money they paid me and buy back in.

I found the simplified Duels of the Plainswalkers games a lot of fun for some SERIOUS casual play, albeit ANYONE who played with the real cards will be srsly turned off by the no deck customization... I just wish the MTGO engine didn't look like such a throw back to 1998 internet, else I would prob be back into things in a big way.

For some lulz see: http://magiccardswithgooglyeyes.tumblr.com/ (it's nice to see this is still semi active!)
Name's Panda, G. D. Panda.
Heil

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum