Remove Advertisements

Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Jabari » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

My Nether Faerie Dragon has soloed (or nearly) all of the BoF so far. Life Exchange + Moonfire + Arc. Blast is pretty broken against them. 3 left that I haven't done.

Newsom wrote:Get 3 moths and you can beat anything. Seriously.

:lol:

Not enough detail, I'm afraid! PvE? PvP? Pandaria Spirits? (which I'm still having problems with - the MoP master tamers are easy, I 2-man those to power-level other stuff, but haven't beaten a single Spirit yet)

halabar wrote:How are the new Island of Giants pets in battles?...

The Anklebiters/Kneebiters etc? They seem decent - Wild Magic effect + Swarm effect on the same char seems pretty nice. Problem is that all of them are Beast-only attacks, no secondary types at all, so pretty limited that way. (Well, one of them might have had a Critter attack, don't remember now).
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 am

jere wrote:Their high HP makes them fairly susceptible to HP based attacks.

This makes the Clefthoof Runt an amazing pet for the BoFs. An every round attack that deals low beast damage+10% of the target's health, against critters you're looking at about 650 damage per round. The 10% triggers even if the primary attack is dodged or misses. On pretty much every BoF you can get them knocked down to extremely low health or solo them with the runt. Toxic Sting from wasp pets are pretty good, 6% of the target's health per round.

The three that I have had trouble with are the racoon in Jade Forest since it hits very hard, the skitterer in Krasarang, and the porcupine in Dreadwastes. The last one messed up my beast team setup as I used Lightning storm to buff two mechanicals but the bleed dot just wrecks my team if LS is up as well.

One other thing I noticed is that many of the "stun" effects now also give a "immune to stuns for 2-turns" effect. No more Chain-Frogging with things like Frog Kiss.

In PvP matches players would go in with three turkeys and just chain CC the opponent until they rage quit and forfeit the match.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 am

Finally finished the BoF and Spirit Tamers both yesterday. Great advice from whoever said to use a Snail - that made the Spirit Tamers so much easier! :)

Question now: I just can go repeat the Spirit Tamers as dailies and there's a chance to get the spirit pet in the reward bags?

Question about the Runt: The 10% attack uses current or max HP? Seems reasonable if it's max, but fairly weak if it's current. I actually have a level 25 Rare one of those, but was saving using it to combine with something decent with Dazzling Dance to make the 50% stun move completely broken instead of just pretty good. *chuckle*
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

The spirit you fight has a chance to drop itself in the reward bag.

10% health is max health, so it is always over 400 damage against the BoF pets. It isn't modified by anything it seems, so no extra damage with a beast against critter for example.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby jere » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Which of the moth 3rd attacks is the one most people use? The single big hit with moderate chance to miss, or the 5x hits with high chance to miss? I'm still working on my moth, so I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet.
jere

Postby Jabari » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Neither, really. *chuckle* Just Cocoon and Alpha Strike.

Moth Balls (the 5* hit) is probably a little better as a 3rd as it has a slow attached and alpha strike hits pretty hard as long as you're faster.

Hmm - does Moth Dust have a 25% chance to stun on it? If it does that's probably better.

Aside: I picked up a rare Kun-Lai Runt yesterday. What a neat little pet! A great skill load-out - I've got it set to Frost Shock -> auto-stun -> auto double-hit right now, but the other skills it has are pretty nice, too.

(Plus, it looks awesome in shadowform *laugh*)

Bug: The new "immune to stuns" thing doesn't work with the "25% chance to stun" stuff. I've had multiple instances of the Thundering Spirit Tamer going "Stun", "Big Hit with 25% to stun" with both attacks stunning my pet. Now, when it goes the other way - the "25% to stun" proc-ing (and giving the buff), the auto-stun on the next turn came up as "Immune", so that was correct. I guess chain-Frog-Kiss still can happen.
Jabari

Postby jere » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks!

The Kun-Lai Runt is a awesome pet to use against critters (high defense against critters, high damage to critters). It can solo or near solo the critter BoF. Rampage just destroys stuff. I do like the synergy of the ice based attacks for other types of enemies though.
jere

Postby Newsom » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 pm

jere wrote:Which of the moth 3rd attacks is the one most people use? The single big hit with moderate chance to miss, or the 5x hits with high chance to miss? I'm still working on my moth, so I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet.

Moth Dust. It's useful if you're slowed (or at low HP versus a fast pet), but if I attack first I always go with Alpha Strike. The miss chance isn't that bad, it hits realy hard, and if you're lucky you will make your target fall asleep for 1 turn.

I finally managed to snag a battle-stone and upgraded my Yellow Moth, which is the only P/P moth in the game. Just need to level it up now! :D
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Slowly going through Beast of Fables again,hope it won't bug again this time <.<

On the sides,made my feline familiar rare with a stone (even if he,as i stated before,is a totally useless pet) and captured the lightning...lizard...beaver...thing from island of thunder XD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Invisusira » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 am

Feline Familiar is actually a very good all-purpose pet; making him rare is a good call. I was using him for most of my Beasts of Fable teams to open; Prowl followed by Call Darkness is a fantastic combo that will take off about 1/4 of any of the beasts of fable's health. Not to mention 1-shot most non-legendary or player pets or ANY legendary dragon pet.

Beasts of Fable becomes pretty trivial once you have a 2nd counter-type for each. (ie 2x mechanical for the beasts, 2x beasts for the critters, 2x flyer for the aquatics.) Every now and then they'll get a lucky streak of dodges or whatever, but the whole quest can easily be finished in well under an hour - totally worth it considering the high panda/stone drop rate in the bag. The Brilliant Kaliri you get from the 125 pet achieve is a good one to level for this; Predatory Strike does about 400 damage and then kills any pet below 1/4 health. So get a beast of fable to 1400 health, game over.

On the note of teams for mobs, I really really really really recommend the addons PetBattleTeams and PetJournalEnhanced. The former does exactly what it sounds like - lets you save teams. It also saves the moves you have selected for your pets on said teams, so you don't have to go into battle for the 27th time with the wrong pet moves selected because they reset and you forgot about them. The latter simply gives you more sorting options for your pets and, more importantly, remembers your settings when you relog - no more defaulting to "sort by name" when you log back in.

Apologies if these addons have already been mentioned; I haven't really been keeping up with the thread.
Invisusira

Postby Jabari » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 am

Rare Minfernal! *jealous*

I'll have to check out the addons, esp. the team one. Stupid stupid wrong spells all the time. *laugh*

Anyone know the droprate for the Pandarian Spirits from those bags? I've been beating all 4 every day for a while, haven't gotten a pet from them yet. :(

The lightning croc thing from Isle of Thunder is decent against elementals - Taste for Blood is a huge hit. I still like the snail a bit more, Shield and Absorb keep its health up between Dives. (Except against the V4W trainer - the croc tears up the sunflower and turnip - easy big XP for leveling something else.)
Jabari

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am

no idea one the spirits drop rate, just took a couple weeks. On the other hand got all the pandas within 5 dailies.
Flex

Postby Fenris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 am

Feline Familiar is actually a very good all-purpose pet; making him rare is a good call. I was using him for most of my Beasts of Fable teams to open; Prowl followed by Call Darkness is a fantastic combo that will take off about 1/4 of any of the beasts of fable's health. Not to mention 1-shot most non-legendary or player pets or ANY legendary dragon pet.

I'll give him more chances then,i admit i never thought of prowl buffing coD damage...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Newsom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Got my rare Yellow Moth to 25 and decided to try some PvP with triple moths. So far I've only lost once out of 15 battles, with 2 people fleeing on sight now, and one guy started using moths. :D
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Fenris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Ok,after starting the last BoF battle with Prowl + Call of darkenss for 1250 damage (with a lvl23 familiar,since it lost 2 levels when upgraded to rare) i think i have to retract my previous statement XD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

PreviousNext

Return to General