Remove Advertisements

Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Anyone play MTG?

Postby Aergis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Just getting back into it myself. Played a (very small) bit in college and well, now that we have a comic store next to a game store we started selling Magic singles, which of course made me want to learn to play.

What are some good places for play testing deck ideas?
I've been using tappedout.net and a iphone app called decked, but not really happy with em.
Aergis
Site Admin

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Nooska » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 am

Ooooh, haven't played in... 12 or 13 years.. (that reminds me, I should check out the value of some of those old cards I have laying around in card protectors because they weren't cheap back when I used them).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

Only recently started buying some new cards as I haven't really had anyone to play with the past few years. If you find a good place to play test decks... I'd definitely love to have that info as well. I know they have MTG Online, but unfortunately you have to buy/trade cards on there in order to play with them in decks.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Delphineas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:59 pm

tappedout.com is what i kinda use.
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: FF xiv once it's up.
Delphineas

Postby aureon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Cockatrice is pretty good.

Have a look at Commander mode for something a bit less ruthless than normal.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm

I've been playing again since going back to school. Been using http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/ to update and test my old decks.
Invisusira

Postby Gracerath » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:13 am

I used to play quite a lot back in jr. high/highschool. Every week I'd take my allowance and go buy some booster packs and have dinner at the mall. I still have my decks in boxes but they don't see the light of day too often. I stopped playing after the Urza's Legacy set. It is hard to keep up with all the new mechanics. I recently started playing the Duels of the Planeswalker games and holy crap, the rare cards seem insanely powerful compared to stuff in the past. Of course there is nothing quite as classic as ball lightning + bloodlust + fling.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:35 pm

I play a bit... recently got back into it circa Avacyn
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Passionario » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 am

I used to play for a while, from Stronghold to Guildpact, then had to quit due to a combination of WoW, local distributors ceasing to import English cards and some thief stealing my entire trading binder.

However, my biggest MTG passion has always been the creation of my own cards and sets. I shudder to think how many hundreds and thousands of hours I've spent on WotC's You Make The Card and Brainburst/TCGPlayer Fantasy Card forums.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Barathorn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am

Aergis wrote:Just getting back into it myself. Played a (very small) bit in college and well, now that we have a comic store next to a game store we started selling Magic singles, which of course made me want to learn to play.

What are some good places for play testing deck ideas?
I've been using tappedout.net and a iphone app called decked, but not really happy with em.

The best option according to friends was Cockatrice but thats gone now. I can't really recommend MTGO as it is the best for testing but it involves a heaving financial commitment to test the best current decks [I do use MTGO but mainly for drafting]. You might want to look at Magic Workstation, its a pain to set up but allows a lot of flexibility in deck building.

I have found sitting round a kitchen table works best with friends after we have emailed ideas around the 20 or so of us that contribute to our team pool. If anyone wants to bounce any ideas off me please feel free. I have a pretty good grasp of all of the current formats.

The sites you absolutely should read daily if you are serious about the game are,

Starcity Games
Channel Fireball
TCGPlayer

If I can help anyone with anything just PM me.

Please note I am a pretty serious tournement player so I won't necessarily know much about formats like Commander or kitchen table magic.

Bara.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

bara bara bara

I has an idea

it's a red/white Boros deck that has a bunch of creatures in it

what do you think!?!?!?!?!

:D
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am

Needs more red with a dash of white.

Seriously though, I'm trying to think of decent ways to break the Extort and Evolve mechanics.

Typically I'm a Blue/Black kind of guy (Dimir is definitely my favorite guild) but the Cipher mechanic is just kinda "meh" to me. Then again, I'm all about atypical win conditions (decking your opponent, poison counters, Phage the Untouchable, etc.) Or an amusing deck with a more traditional win condition (opponents life = 0.)

Barring either of those... I like to create rules nightmares that likely have no chance of winning, but create Theck-like headaches :D.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Sabindeus wrote:bara bara bara

I has an idea

OMG...so I have to keep slapping Aergis's hand to not dip into the merchandise. We have sold probably more than 30 Boros Reckoners since we started selling singles, it does really well. Now Aergis thought of an idea to use with his deck and some Boros Reckoners, now wants to take the ones from the store, we have 4 right now I think one a foiled one. So I told him he could borrow them lol. He loves building decks and I think with all the magic single "candy" at the store it will be a huge temptation.

We are selling so many singles now we are expanding our counter space cuz the people don't fit in the little area we have for them. We do Buy/Sell/Trade and it has gone nuts, we are very fortunate.

Lola
Thalia

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 am

Sabindeus wrote:bara bara bara

I has an idea

@ Sab

Did you list a deck as I can't see it?

Is it for fun times around a kitchen table, local event or for bigger tournament play? For kitchen table it would seem fine, for a local tournament again probably fine, for a bigger event unless it is 100% tuned probably not viable currently although a lot would depend on your local metagame which obviously I don't know anything about.

R/W humans is probably almost tier 1 but not quite. Champion of the Parish into Gather the Townsfolk into Silverblade Paladin is still a very good start though. Then I guess it comes down to whether you have a Boros Charm for their Supreme Verdict.

@ Skye1013

Black/Blue is my favourite control deck but currently the cards would not appear to support it which makes me sad.

@ Thalia

Magic has boomed since Innistraad, we ended up with crazy numbers for the pre-releases that we ran so its definately a good time to be able to sell singles. Don't get sucked in and over order for Dragons Maze though as the 3rd sets always tend to be under powered for the block.

The Reckoner is probably going to take a nose dive fairly soon and then rise again in price July/August time. I pre-ordered mine from China and got a playset for £9 [about $15?] so I was fairly happy. He is a very powerful card indeed though for a rare.

I hope the store continues to go well, people love some cardboard crack and will do pretty much anything to get the cards they need so selling singles is definately a plan.

FWIW I am currently playing a cross between the UWR deck that Joel Larsson ran at PT Gatecrash and the latest UWR builds that Gerry Thompson is advocating. It seems quite good although the undisputed best deck currently in my opinion due to a massive metagame shift is Junk Reanimator. Its horrid to play against.

Bara.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 am

@ Sab - this is the Naya [G/R/W] list that is doing reasonably well at the moment [Won a Grand Prix and consistently places top 8 in events but is definately a glass cannon]

Top 8 SCG Washington List

1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Experiment One
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Boros Elite
4 Frontline Medic
4 Searing Spear
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Cavern of Souls
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Champion of the Parish
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Rootbound Crag
2 Sunpetal Grove
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard
2 Boros Reckoner
3 Boros Charm
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Nearheath Pilgrim
2 Fiend Hunter
1 War Priest of Thune
3 Pacifism

Hope that gives you a few ideas!

Barathorn

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum