Remove Advertisements

New to tanking, what instances are easy to start out on?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New to tanking, what instances are easy to start out on?

Postby Caradgar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:16 am

Im new to tanking having switched from holy to protection at lvl 67, so far the only instances i have tank have been Slave pens (not to much trouble, mage in the group was the only one to die) and Sethekk Halls (plenty of wipes due to fear, no one cared).

Im trying to get some good gear, so today I went into The Mechanar to try and get a Helm of the Righteous and a Jade-Skull Breastplate, but I didn't last that long, I saw my health drop and had a few bad pulls which led to everyone leaving... I was just wondering what are some good instances i could do at lvl 70 with this current gear? Do i still need more defensive stats or will I be fine for another go at Mech?

Thanks for any help!
Caradgar

Postby honorshammer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:31 am

I can't see your gear, but there are some quests in Netherstorm and Shadowmoon that give you a good starter kit.

I'd say start with SteamVaults. It's the easiest level 70 instance I've done and LOADED with good drops for Tanks.
honorshammer

Postby Downpour » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:45 am

SV has quite a few fearers and long silences. I'd probably recommend Shattered Halls. Take a few CC until you're used to managed multiple mobs, but they're virtually all melee with a couple of casters thrown in. No particularly nasty abilities to watch out for. Maybe SL for the same reasons, though there's less dedicated melee there.
Downpour

Postby Solthas » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:49 am

I recommend SV as it is generally pretty easy and oft-run. As above said, you gotta watch out for fears. Bring a fearward or a shaman if you can. As well, you get a bunch of loot from it. I still need that cloak badly...

SH is the ideal instance for pally tanks however, so you may want to do that. I recommend 1-2 good CC'ers to deal with the few mobs that you don't want to deal with right away, but otherwise aoe-tank away.
Solthas

Postby Alixander » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:55 am

Only thing to watch out for in Shattered Halls and Shadow Labs are large groups. While yes, a paladin excels at tanking large groups, it's something that requires a bit of experience at to really get down. Need to make sure you are keeping all the mobs in your frontal 180 degree zone, so you can parry and block as needed.
Alixander

Postby Aina » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 am

I see you have a Crystalforged Sword with Spelldamage enchant, so you're all set when it comes to threat output. Your ability to take hits can obviously use some upgrades - so, try and group with an uber-healer if you can. Someone that can keep you up regardless of your underpar mitigation.

Shattered Halls is indeed actually really really easy to tank. Make use of breaking Line of Sight to pull casters to you and then Concecrate the shit out of the group while keeping Holy Shield up.
Threat shouldn't be an issue for you, you're limited by how much your healer can take.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to simply run all the instances along the way. Even if it's just for the sake of completing quests. You'll automaticly get a smooth progression in difficulty, taking it from easy to harder, getting gear along the way, and maybe most importantly you build up some self-confidence.
Aina

Postby Leidus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 am

I'd say Botanica if you're not quite there gear-wise. Most of the pulls are 3 or less mobs, the boss strategies aren't overly complicated.

I'd stay away from Shadow Labs if you're still questioning your threat output, the warlock boss can be a pain since you pretty much need to burn him down as fast as possible. If your group's dps isn't good and/or your threat generation is lacking he can be a major roadblock.

Shattered Halls is insanely fun, though it can be a little rough tanking 6 mobs if your gear is lacking. The previous recommendation about line of sight pulling is very important. Make sure your group knows you're doing it, then throw your shield and hide around the corner so all the mobs, even the casters, run straight to you.

Also, Netherstorm is a gold mine of quest rewards to get you started on decent tank gear. There's good stuff in Shadowmoon too, but if memory serves right a lot of them are 5 man group quests, whereas Netherstorm a lot of the quests can be done with 1 or 2 people.
Leidus - 80 Human Paladin // Sudiel - 80 Human Death Knight

<Fluffy Dragon> <Epic Coalition> - Cenarion Circle
Leidus

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 am

To amplify what Honorshammer said - go to Netherstorm and absolutely clean it out. Do everything in Area 52 and everything from the annoying haunted town to the southeast.

I upgraded something like a third of my slots while in that zone, and it seemed like the gold rewards were unusually good out there as well.

If you're properly enchanted and wearing everything Netherstorm has to offer, you'll roll into Steamvault and do just fine.

Edit: I agree about Botanica being fairly simple pulls, except the room full of chemists which can get a bit wild even after the nerf...but make sure your DPS team is good. You won't be beating Warp Splinter if you can't pump out some decent damage.
Arcand

Postby roderick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:07 pm

the warlock boss can be a pain since you pretty much need to burn him down as fast as possible. If your group's dps isn't good and/or your threat generation is lacking he can be a major roadblock.

Enough people don't know about the strat for this guy (SLab) so I'll post it here. If you do it this way it is quite easy (assuming we're talking about the same fight). First off, leave all the summoned folks alone. All you need to do is tank the boss on the run. Each time you get summoned to the altar, switch directions. So walk backwards steering the boss between the summoned mobs. When you get summoned, swap directions and start walking backwards down the hallway behind the altar. This keeps the summoned mobs away, occasionally one will be in the way that you need to kill but not often. Only trick is making sure the healer keeps you in LoS and range. Repeat the direction swap until dead. Works great for my group.
roderick

Postby Leidus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Yep, that's the best way I've seen people take him down.

I did go with one group that killed him where he stood... and he died before one of his vw's could heal him... it rocked.
Leidus - 80 Human Paladin // Sudiel - 80 Human Death Knight

<Fluffy Dragon> <Epic Coalition> - Cenarion Circle
Leidus

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:26 pm

Stay off the sloping rock piles to the sides when you do that. One time I ran up the slope to get around a void and the boss evaded, then reset.
Arcand

Postby Caradgar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks for the help! Ill go clean out Netherstorm and have a try at Shattered halls (And pick up a Figurine of the Colossus along the way) and botanica.
Caradgar

Postby Gideon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:57 am

If you take a mage to SH you don't always have to LOS casters onto you (although it's a skill you'll need to develop). Just get the mage to counterspell them and they'll run into melee/consec range.

I think the mages I take to SH use CS a lot more than they sheep. It just fits my tanking style.
Gideon

Return to Basic Training & Talents