All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby CrimsonEyes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:14 pm

All three of the teams I feel fondness for have done well this offseason, so far.

The Seahawks (local team, girlfriend is nuts over them, and the brother like the 49ers, so familial spite is in play) got Harvin and Avril, bolstering an already formidable group.

My Colts look like they're fixing the OLine and the defense, both of which were several degrees of bad last year.

And Denver's (who I follow because of Peyton) are making some very, very solid pickups. DRC was a suprise yesterday after Welker.

Also, Klaud had it right the first time. Discord EEEXXCELLENT FTW.
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 pm

CrimsonEyes wrote:Also, Klaud had it right the first time. Discord EEEXXCELLENT FTW.

I don't "do" MLP, so "excellent" will always be a Burns meme for me.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Koatanga wrote:
CrimsonEyes wrote:Also, Klaud had it right the first time. Discord EEEXXCELLENT FTW.

I don't "do" MLP, so "excellent" will always be a Burns meme for me.

On the other hand, Discord is voiced by john de lancie, basically reprising his role as Q.

It is because of that episode that i became a fan if that show...but i digress...

Rodgers cromartie to denver
Kolb will be released, jets to pursue
Niners interested in asomugha
Vikings eyeing former packer jennings and bears urlacher, and matt cassel
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Klaudandus wrote:On the other hand, Discord is voiced by john de lancie, basically reprising his role as Q.

It is because of that episode that i became a fan if that show...but i digress...

Rodgers cromartie to denver
Kolb will be released, jets to pursue
Niners interested in asomugha
Vikings eyeing former packer jennings and bears urlacher, and matt cassel

I'm re-watching ST:TNG with my 8-year-old daughter because I reckon she's missing out if she doesn't understand what Star Trek is, and because it explores some interesting moral dilemmas. I find I hate Q just as much now as I did then.

Are the Eagles officially in free-fall yet?
Koln in NY... Nah, I don't see that working.
If Asomugha is the same as the Eagles version, I'm not bothered. If he's the Raiders version, I have more concern.
Jennings to the Vikes would make a lot of their fans happy. Not sold on Cassel at all. Urlacher should retire.

With the number of teams still looking for QBs and all fighting over the same mediocre bunch of backups, I am happier than ever that the Seahawks got Wilson.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm

oh, you're so stolid, you weren't like this before the beard. =P

I really enjoyed Q in Tapestry.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 pm

DE Michael Bennett to the Seahawks. Apparently, we're collecting the set.
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 am

Browns fans are driving me insane. At least we can agree that we don't think weeden is the answer, but.... they want to collect every freaking QB who gets released. Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Tebow even....

Ugh... I don't know anymore. Of the QB's on the market, I don't see one that I'm sold on. Maybe Mallet, but only if we get him in with the understanding that if it doesn't work, we're going in another direction. My list of Qb's I would have wanted to see come to Cleveland is

1.) Alex Smith (went to KC....)
2.) Matt Flynn (I think there is something there.)
3.) Kirk Cousins (isn't leaving Washington in light of RGIII taking a wicked twist to the knee)
A
REALLY
BIG
GAP
HERE
Mallet / Fitzpatrick / Jason Campbell
ANOTHER
REALLY
BIG
GAP
HERE
The apocalypse taking the team out of Cleveland... Again
ANOTHER
REALLY
BIG
GAP
HERE
Kolb / Cassel
ANOTHER
REALLY
BIG
GAP
HERE
The Rapture really happens
ANOTHER
REALLY
BIG
GAP
HERE
Te.... Oh wait... That can't happen now.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

Hey, Tebow won a playoff game, something the browns haven't done in years
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Hey, Tebow won a playoff game, something the browns haven't done in years

I honestly, wouldn't have a huge problem with Tebow being a in Cleveland, but I don't know if I could deal with a media circus that it would become, and the joke was funny enough in my head, I couldn't pass it up.

Honestly, from the word coming out of cleve, if Geno Smith is there at 6 (which is starting to look really likely, barring a trade) they would entertain the idea of taking him. Tebow in the bible belt would make Sundays to religious for me.
Shoju

Postby CrimsonEyes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Honestly, if he's there, it's probably not a terrible roll of the dice to take Geno. Barring that, the best QB on the open market right now is....probably Fitzpatrick, if only because he was moderately approaching competent for a stretch a year ago, which is more than you can say for most of the folks who have been let go. MAYBE Flynn, but I still don't know how much I trust him, and, to me, his body of work is questionable. With the threats Rodgers had, just about anyone could have lit it up. If Wilson hadn't been so good, we could have made some cracks about how Flynn got beat out for the starting job by a rookie, but Wilson was quality, so no shame on him in that.

If it was me, and I didn't think Smith was going to be there, I'd take a stab at Fitzy. Get him a couple of passable passcatchers, you've already got a solid RB, and see what happens.

Am I wrong in remembering that Cleveland's D wasn't wretched last year, or am I way off base on this?

EDIT: Doom cut his salary, and stays with the Denver Ponies. On paper, this team is really starting to look formidable. *fingers crossed*
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

CrimsonEyes wrote:Honestly, if he's there, it's probably not a terrible roll of the dice to take Geno. Barring that, the best QB on the open market right now is....probably Fitzpatrick, if only because he was moderately approaching competent for a stretch a year ago, which is more than you can say for most of the folks who have been let go. MAYBE Flynn, but I still don't know how much I trust him, and, to me, his body of work is questionable. With the threats Rodgers had, just about anyone could have lit it up. If Wilson hadn't been so good, we could have made some cracks about how Flynn got beat out for the starting job by a rookie, but Wilson was quality, so no shame on him in that.

If it was me, and I didn't think Smith was going to be there, I'd take a stab at Fitzy. Get him a couple of passable passcatchers, you've already got a solid RB, and see what happens.

We've got a core of really good young receivers. They just don't have many catchable balls thrown their way. Fitz might be ok. I'm not sure what to think of Geno. He started out last season on fire.

Am I wrong in remembering that Cleveland's D wasn't wretched last year, or am I way off base on this?

Well, you have to take that with the fact that for the first 4 games, our top flight corner was suspended.
And then for the next four games we were still without our monster DT's who were injured in early season / preseason.

Once we had Rubin, Taylor, and Haden on the field, we weren't terrible. We were weak at other CB spot, and had to play this garbage DB named Buster Skrine, who had more PI calls than the rest of the team (hyperbole, that could be true), and our safeties were young, and not good, and we had 1 good LB, 2 that were "meh" 1 that got hurt, and the Fujita debacle.

EDIT: Doom cut his salary, and stays with the Denver Ponies. On paper, this team is really starting to look formidable. *fingers crossed*

Schefter just tweeted that they didn't get it filed with the league in time, and he has in fact been cut. Not a joke.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 4072715264
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 9798837248
Shoju

Postby CrimsonEyes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Yep, you're spot on there.

Booo. Why the hell wait until the last minute?

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:46 pm

CrimsonEyes wrote:Yep, you're spot on there.

His agent was too busy texting... really.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 pm

halabar wrote:

What!? really? citation pls?
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:

What!? really? citation pls?

Read the news articles, agent was texting.. "bro, we got the deal done" or something like that.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General