[10N] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: Tortos [10N]

Postby Donatist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:23 am

Sorry yes i mistyped un, glyph DP for this fight and you have can have CDs for every bat phase on top of Shotr for all bites. Before I tanked the boss i was on the adds and while it wasnt hard to pick them up necessarily, it was annoying since they descend, i just told dps to wait until they had landed and i was able to get one hammer off.

When i swapped to tanking the turtle tho the bats just came to be cause of the healing i did which is why i think we may one tank it for heroic this week.
Donatist

Postby Magnilda » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am

We ended up two tanking this. Our DK was having trouble taking the bats off me when I was tanking the boss so we swapped roles. The only Bats I had trouble picking up was the first wave, without vengeance stacks it was easy for one of them to wander off to the DK tank or a healer or a trigger happy DPS. But after the intiial pack my Vengeance stacks were high enough for me to aggro them with Battle Healer.

Hopefully try and solo tank it next week, would make the fight a lot simpler.
Magnilda

Postby Sagara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am

Hmmm... Maybe I'll try and tank the turtle myself and see if i can get healer aggro to help our warrior on adds.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Zothor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 am

On 25 at least I specifically stopped dpsing to AVOID picking up all the adds with Battle Healer while tanking the boss. Every time the whole bat pack came to me they did that crazy thing where their swing timers all line up and I got basically instagibbed for 400-500k damage... while dealing with the bite, which even after Shield of the Righteous still is definitively non-zero damage. Curious how (or if) people are surviving having the adds on them in 25.

This whole practice confused the hell out of my raid leader, because I couldn't AOE pick up the adds in the first pack like that, so I moved to the boss. Are people seeing vengeance dropping off between bat packs? I would have assumed it would, but if it doesn't, maybe I'll go back to add tanking and just worry about the first pack.
Zothor

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 am

Those of you having vengeance issues preventing you from collecting add: Have you tried taunting the boss right as the bats spawn (and having the tank immediately taunt back, of course)? You'll get half of the tank's vengeance, which should be somewhere around 60-70k.
Belloc

Postby Promdates » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Zothor wrote:On 25 at least I specifically stopped dpsing to AVOID picking up all the adds with Battle Healer while tanking the boss. Every time the whole bat pack came to me they did that crazy thing where their swing timers all line up and I got basically instagibbed for 400-500k damage... while dealing with the bite, which even after Shield of the Righteous still is definitively non-zero damage. Curious how (or if) people are surviving having the adds on them in 25.

This whole practice confused the hell out of my raid leader, because I couldn't AOE pick up the adds in the first pack like that, so I moved to the boss. Are people seeing vengeance dropping off between bat packs? I would have assumed it would, but if it doesn't, maybe I'll go back to add tanking and just worry about the first pack.

I just swap from tanking the boss to tanking adds. Chances are the bats will always come to me, so I mark myself with a raid icon and yell at people to run to that icon if they get bat aggro at any time for easier pick up. Being a block tank is beneficial on the adds, not to mention you can stand right in front/next to the boss to be able to get melee cleave/aoe and double dip your aoe's as well. Be sure you also have a spare turtle to shoot through the bats into the boss so you can the damage increase on both with cleaves.
Promdates

Postby Zothor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Belloc wrote:Those of you having vengeance issues preventing you from collecting add: Have you tried taunting the boss right as the bats spawn (and having the tank immediately taunt back, of course)? You'll get half of the tank's vengeance, which should be somewhere around 60-70k.

That's a really good idea... that I'm pretty certain would infuriate the fuck out of my other tank, who happens to be my GM. Sad day...
Zothor

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 am

Anyone have a problem where a snare is being overwritten and removed by another spell on the little turtles? We're getting chilblains up and using them on CD, but it seems to be getting overwritten and removed and we have no idea why.

Raid makeup:

Tank: paladin

Healers: druid, monk, paladin

DPS: enhance shaman, assass rogue, frost mage, lock (demo?), frost dk, shadow priest.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:15 am

I'm destro, and I reckon it is me after looking at other destro logs, at least some of the time, but there might be something else doing it as well. Unglyphed conflag and won't aoe conflag, see if that helps.
Rhiannon

Postby Schroom » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:23 am

In order to collect the adds we had our Holy Paladin use Righteous Fury, he got a mark on his head, as did I.

the bats spawn after the Boss has been interrupted by a turtle, every time this happened the Holy Paladin run into me an my consecration = no worry with the bats anymore.

I went full stamina for this (almost 800k HP) to make it easier for the healers to top me over 350k.

for the stomp we made a Bubble / BoP rotation with clemency on the healers, so at least one of the two wasn't interrupted.

also I started tanking the Boss from pull until the first Bats spawned in order to have a nice vengeance buff for those Bats and HA/AW/LH them to the ground.

almost 200k DPS at the end of the fight. boohyaaah.
Schroom

Postby ramboschox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 pm

tried glyph of blessed life on our kill try ( http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-e ... 277&e=8602 ) guess isn´t worth recommending it, only got 4 holy power out of it.
I WONT STOP YELLING CUZ THATS GONNA MEAN I LOST THE FIGHT

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/e ... s/advanced
ramboschox

Postby Fenris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Anyone have a problem where a snare is being overwritten and removed by another spell on the little turtles? We're getting chilblains up and using them on CD, but it seems to be getting overwritten and removed and we have no idea why.

Raid makeup:

Tank: paladin

Healers: druid, monk, paladin

DPS: enhance shaman, assass rogue, frost mage, lock (demo?), frost dk, shadow priest.

Light's hammer snare?

It's the only "short time" snare i can think of right now

Since the debuff actually last 1 second and gets re-applied each time the aoe ticks on the enemy,if the turtles jump into it that could cancel the other snare and then they'd be left with nothing on when the get out of the area of effect

And once again,like on the bosses before,my guild is having stupid problems on this one too and i can't understand how to fix them :roll:
Kind of sad to be left with 50% as best try when guilds that are usually below us already have it down :cry:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Sorry, I should've come back to clarify the issue. We found out what the problem was... it seems the slow from Chilblains was actually bugged for DKs. Was hotfixed on US servers Friday night but hadn't been done to the EU servers yet. Not sure if it's been resolved, but we ended up having our rogue use crippling poisons (or whatever is the one that slows stuff).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am

One thing we did was set up two ranged camps, kind of. Like, "you three try to stay on the right side of the map, you three try to stay on the left, so you're not all naffing each other with blue shit and clustered for blue turtleshell knockup." It changed the entire fight from "holy shit what the fuck" into a kill a few pulls later. Melee also moves as a group from one side of the turtle to the other.

I tank the turtle and bats, and try to position the bats so a kicked shell can debuff all the bats as well. We have a DK who does the AoE stun thing, and bats are usually dead by the time the stun wears off. I still pop a CD when the bats first come in, just in case. When we're feeling cheeky we also try to time the bat shell with the next wave of turtles so everything gets debuffed.

We also lust around 50% to clean up a bit as well.

We have melee switch to the first turtle that needs to die just to make sure we have one ready for the breath, then they go back to tunneling on the boss. Our first kill we had a 481 lock in the group, so the requirements are pretty forgiving once people get used to the flow of the fight.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby lakhesis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 am

Did it with one tank this week. Much prefer that version.

I caused a couple of wipes when I tried to actually mess around & tab target through the bats, which distracted me from Tortos and/or meant I tabbed to a bat/whirlyturtle I couldn't get a SotR off on just as Tortos snapped (ouch).

However when I just completely ignored the bats (beyond facing them somewhat) and stuck to tunnelling on snapping bite it worked great. Used Holy Avenger on the pull to get going, then used Avenging Wrath on the first group of bats (who always seemed fractionally more problematic than the others on the aggro). Trinket/DP/HA the bats and save other CDs for the end or ohshits.

We run 3x melee & 2x ranged (horrible comp, in process of adjusting), plus my OT made for an extra melee.

The two ranged were enough to deal with the turtles completely solo. They do nothing but turtles until they've got a solid backstock of dead ones to kick, using CDs on the first round of turtles to guarantee they've got one down in time.

The two cleave melee (frost dk & fury warrior) handle the bats. When I was solo tanking my feral druid cotank joined in with them. Our rogue tunnelled Tortos the whole time.

If anyone wants to check how they're doing on that fight, try:

Code: Select all
(spell = "Shield of the Righteous" and targetName != "Tortos") or spell = "Snapping Bite"

in expression editor for Worldoflogs. It filters out the damage portion of SotR & shows all snapping bites.

There should be a "Paladin gains Shield of the Righteous", then one (or more if chaining due to lvl75 talents) snapping bites, then "Shield of the Righteous fades from Paladin". Should be relatively obvious at a glance just from the 400k hits versus 200k hits, but having the SotR in there lets you be sure.

If you're still wiping and want to add in death events, so you can be sure the pally was dead when someone else got hit rather than just accidentally outranging the boss, it'd become:

(spell = "Shield of the Righteous" and targetName != "Tortos") or spell = "Snapping Bite" or (targetName = "REPLACE-WITH-NAME-OF-THE-PALADIN-TANK" and type = TYPE_DEATH)
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)