Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How would you F2P WoW

Postby Paxen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 am

I like the TSW (GW2) model.
Paxen

Postby Lieris » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:48 am

I would charge for server transfers, faction changes and build an online shop that sells mounts and pets instead of making them earnable in-game.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I think it would be far more profitable for them to introduce cheaper and bulk package server transfers / faction changes, then start merging realms with high A/H differentials. Those measures would increase player patience for a slowing rate of quality content output, and if MoP is any indication they really are planning only to accelerate their output.

At some point ludicrously far in the future when they are prepared to release another major subscription-based MMO to take the crown, they will roll the entire concept of a WoW subscription into a Battle.Net subscription and charge the standard $60/$65 for the new game. It would be some, cheaper monthly amount to play WoW only at that point.

The only reason F2P really works is that nobody wants to be paying more than one subscription. As long as Blizzard doesn't compete with themselves, they have no reason to descend from the throne of money.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Teranoid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Except for Blizzard they see merging servers as "our game is dying". CRZ is a painfully obvious and desperate attempt to deflect that very idea.
Teranoid

Postby Arnock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Disclaimer: I quit the night before cata released, so I'm not too in touch with what's happened since.

I'd try to follow something similar to League of Legends, mostly offering convenience/aesthetic things for microtransaction purchase.

Perhaps transmogrification could cost a small fee($1-$2 or so), same with haircuts/dance studio. Players might be able to buy additional textures for tier/pvp sets. Pay to unlock additional character customization options etc.

Pay for alt bonuses, such as bind on account items, low level mounts, temporary xp boosts or perhaps xp nerfs for the completionists out there. These would ONLY be available for people with characters at level cap, and are temporarily disabled when a new xpac releases until the account gets a character to level cap.

Pay to transfer characters between accounts.

Pay to unlock additional character slots on a given server.

Perhaps offering a pay to unlock epic mount and epic flight training, all other traingings still only available for gold.

Perhaps vanity pets/special mounts could be transitioned to be mostly paid items.

Maybe offer other convenience incentives, like paying for faster flight path times, or faster cast speed when crafting items

New item only available for cash purchase: Rose tinted goggles of <insert raid name>

Equipping rose tinted goggles for a particular raid will reduce your character to the appropriate level for the raid in question, give whatever abilities and talent trees were current with that raid's release, and a tier set for that raid.

Basically, pay to unlock old school content with content-appropriate talents, skills, and equipment, for those who are nostalgic.

I seriously would consider picking wow back up again if this was a thing.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Previous

Return to General