Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 am

That that question even has to be asked...
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nooska » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Fetzie wrote:That that question even has to be asked...

Agreed
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm

As Jim pointed out, they shouldn't have to ask it... it's within their (legislature) power to say whether or not he has that as an option. If they're asking, then clearly they aren't doing their job (as if the sequestration didn't already show that.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm

In other news, the population of the Falkland Islands have held a referendum on whether to remain a British Overseas Territory.

1,672 Eligible voters
1,517 Votes cast (90.7% participation)
1,513 Votes were in favour of remaining a British Overseas Territory (99.7%)
3 Votes were in favour of revoking the status as a British Overseas Territory
1 Vote was voided

Now that is what I call voter participation. Elsewhere you are lucky to reach the 30-40% required for the result to be representative enough to count for anything.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Fetzie wrote:In other news, the population of the Falkland Islands have held a referendum on whether to remain a British Overseas Territory.

1,672 Eligible voters
1,517 Votes cast (90.7% participation)
1,513 Votes were in favour of remaining a British Overseas Territory (99.7%)
3 Votes were in favour of revoking the status as a British Overseas Territory
1 Vote was voided

Now that is what I call voter participation. Elsewhere you are lucky to reach the 30-40% required for the result to be representative enough to count for anything.

Strategic Sheep Purposes! Suck it Argentina!!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Skye1013 wrote:As Jim pointed out, they shouldn't have to ask it... it's within their (legislature) power to say whether or not he has that as an option. If they're asking, then clearly they aren't doing their job (as if the sequestration didn't already show that.)
The more I read from that guy, the more he sounds like every other blow hard demagogue out there. That's unfortunate, I was hoping he wasn't like that when I first read his blog.

The reason for the filibuster wasn't just about the question, is was because the first time the question was asked, it wasn't clearly answered. Granted Holder wasn't answering the non engaged aspect, so it wasn't that big of a deal, and it was mostly just a bunch of showboating. At least Jim, "Snark and sarcasm and political theater aside" finally admitted that there was some point.

Congress can't really stop a President's (or his attorney general's) interpretation of law. There is existing law that deals with this, I've read that Sen Paul referenced it quite a bit in his filibuster, but that law is open to interpretation. If the President were to believe that he was authorized such action, it wouldn't be dealt with legislatively until after the fact.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Fetzie wrote:Now that is what I call voter participation. Elsewhere you are lucky to reach the 30-40% required for the result to be representative enough to count for anything.

Why the high turnout? What caused the issue to come up for a vote?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am

Argentina and the UK have been at each other's throats for decades about those islands, especially now that the UK has begun digging up for oil.
One interesting point is that not every inhabitant of the islands could vote. Still, if memory serves, it was certainly over 60% of the population, so, with those restults, we can be pretty sure the vote result is legit.
Amusingly, though, Argentina decried the vote as "non-valid" since before the results because the voters aren't inhabitants, but the international equivalent of squatters on Argentinian land.

Business as usual, shall we say.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 am

The current Argentinian government are the ones that've made it an issue lately; they've been using it to stir up nationalist support.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:01 am

True. Sorry, I should have pointed that as well.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Nooska » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 am

My money is on Argentina making a fuss over it purely for domestic policy reasons, and then doing nothing - they tried once and got the behinds handed to them, I doubt very much if they would try again (its not like the power ratio has changed in favor of argentina, I'd guess quite the contrary.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Fetzie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 am

Sagara wrote:Argentina and the UK have been at each other's throats for decades about those islands, especially now that the UK has begun digging up for oil.
One interesting point is that not every inhabitant of the islands could vote. Still, if memory serves, it was certainly over 60% of the population, so, with those restults, we can be pretty sure the vote result is legit.
Amusingly, though, Argentina decried the vote as "non-valid" since before the results because the voters aren't inhabitants, but the international equivalent of squatters on Argentinian land.

Business as usual, shall we say.

The "non-eligible" could well be under-18s, who are generally non-eligible to vote in any election anywhere.

Argentina's armed forces have hardly been touched since the 1982 war. Their soldiers are under-paid, the machinery is under-maintained and a single destroyer from the British Navy could probably fend them off without breaking a sweat.

My money is on Argentina making a fuss over it purely for domestic policy reasons, and then doing nothing - they tried once and got the behinds handed to them, I doubt very much if they would try again (its not like the power ratio has changed in favor of argentina, I'd guess quite the contrary.

President Fernandez has been using the Falklands as a way to keep domestic policy busy, and to divert attention away from the fact that the State is pretty much bankrupt.

Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 am

I'd like argentina to try it... just for lulz
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:09 am

Maybe she'll stop the posturing when all of here military equipment has been destroyed...wait. This is Fernandez de Kirchner we're talking about. If she invades the Falkland Islands, she'll go to the UN and complain that we defended the islands.

Fucking hypocrite, talking about how Britain is acting all colonial while trying to assert control over the islands regardless of what the inhabitants want. SHE is the colonialist (or wannabe colonialist, given that she doesn't have the military power to actually become one).

Fetzie

Postby Paxen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 am

Fetzie wrote:Fucking hypocrite, talking about how Britain is acting all colonial while trying to assert control over the islands regardless of what the inhabitants want. SHE is the colonialist (or wannabe colonialist, given that she doesn't have the military power to actually become one).

I wonder what the indians* of Argentina think of all that "colonialist!" rethoric?

*amerindians/native argentinians/indigenous/whatever they want to be called
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum