Remove Advertisements

5.4 Talent and Glyph Guide

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5.0 Talent and Glyph Guide

Postby theckhd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah, 10-man doesn't seem to be as stressful with tank damage, so I can see that gem strategy. I'm around 710k health fully raid buffed, and if I could pick up more for Lei Shi, I would.

I still don't think I'd ever take LAotL, though. I've never been a fan of uneven (i.e. on/off) speed boosts (it's one of the things that irritated me about Windwalk), and LAotL takes that to an extreme. In fact, if I could glyph PoJ to give me a 20% flat run speed, I would (the 15% base is the main reason I take that talent in the first place). But that may just be my bias.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:43 pm

You are not alone in your bias Theck ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm

I just dont get why you would go for haste (aka reliability) and then choose LAotL for unreliability ;(
Treck

Postby Cragwell » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

Eh, like I said. Its up almost always and the choice when I need to wait for a speed buff is a one or two second choice. Overall speed return is higher than either of the other two talents once your haste makes it so. Top PoJ returns require a constant store of HoPo which is sort of the same thing as choosing a slight change in rotation from time to time.

I will talent into Speed of Light when the fight suits it, I just haven't found there to be a fight where LAotL is outdone by PoJ in a haste build.

The word "inconsistent" keeps coming up for a speed buff that I have over half the time while doing my best rotation. I don't see how that can be considered inconsistent in any form. If I do choose to "game" the rotation to guarantee LA when I want it, then we are talking a loss of about one GCD. That's hardly an earth shattering change to a tank rotation. It should be noted that the times I have done this are few and far between.

Its not very different in practice to storing HoPo at all.

If PoJ was a 20% flat, then the math wouldn't work out in advantage for LA. So I wouldn't be bringing it up :) But its not and a 45% speed buff with over 50% uptime is quite nice.
Cragwell

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 am

So, after some objective comparisons, I have decided that in my particular case I perform much better with PoJ than LAotL. LAotL may feel much faster, and like I'm more in control of the situation, but I personally got a much better record avoiding mechanics with PoJ. And that's what counts.

On a side note, got a PERFECT run on LFR Will of the Emperor with PoJ, that was the nail in the coffin. Quite proud.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Treck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am

You dont have to hold off anything to have high uptime on PoJ with its full benefit, if you really want the 30% you dont use any holy power untill the second you have 5 and have any holy power generator available.
Holding off Judgement (a major holy power generator) isnt a very good idea, sure it will likely not make or break anything, due to when moving you are likely not beeing hit as hard anyway either.

Inconsistent doesnt mean that its uptime is inconsistent, but rather that your movementspeed is, cause at some point you run fast, the other times you run very slow.

I also dont see how PoJ beeing 20% flat would revolutionize PoJ either.

Pure math about whats uptime is highest compared to its movemenspeed increase is completely useless.
For me, I feel most fights can obviously be done without any of the movement talents, but what makes Speed of Light good is its ability to turn the tides if you have to move to prevent a wipe, I guess 45% could do the same, but 70% is flat out better obviously.
Many times in normal cases you dont wanna be outrunning the melee anyway.

On a fight like elegon, running out and resetting with SoL is fast, while its only once every 45sec, while with LAotL its slower each time, but you can do it more ofthen, but you still move at "normal" speed a bit of the way. I dont know how ofthen others reset their debuffs but I never reset more than once per phase atleast.
On WotE, i think we have been over this, but you can do the dodging completely without as well, PoJ makes it pretty brainless to dodge it tho.
In HoF, I feel LAotL does have more uses, theres a bit more running around on them (especially Amber shaper, beeing flinged is where LAotL shines)
Treck

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Cragwell wrote:Eh, like I said. Its up almost always and the choice when I need to wait for a speed buff is a one or two second choice. Overall speed return is higher than either of the other two talents once your haste makes it so. Top PoJ returns require a constant store of HoPo which is sort of the same thing as choosing a slight change in rotation from time to time.

Which is what most of us are doing anyway. Bank to 5, only spend when we have another HPG coming up immediately. In practice, I rarely have less than 25% movement speed from PoJ.

In any event, calculating which talent gives the highest average movement speed is sort of missing the point. Highest average movement speed means absolutely nothing - it's not a compelling metric by which to gauge the talents.

The on/off nature of LAotL would irritate the hell out of me, because it would be jarring to go from 45% to 0% movement speed in the middle of a kite, or while trying to get out of fire. I don't want it to be unavailable for the 2 seconds that I need it the most. Hence, give me a flat 15% movement speed any day. At least the 5% speed fluctuations aren't that noticeable (though again, I'd probably turn them off if I could).
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby econ21 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 am

Can anyone help me find a discussion of which talents and glyphs to use for which raid bosses? I recently read a very nice post with lots of tips on this - I think it was in maintankadin.com, but my google fu is failing me. It alerted me to using the dot reducing talent for Stone Guards, which is the one tip from it which has stuck with me, but as I wasn't raiding at the time, the others passed me by. Apologies if it is right under my nose.
Last edited by econ21 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econ21

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am

You're probably thinking of Matt Walsh's last WoWInsider article.

Note that I don't agree with all of his advice, though. Most of it is fine for normal modes, but a bunch of it is bad advice for heroic (which, admittedly, he's not claiming to be giving advice for in the first place).
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 am

Updated for 5.2. Let me know if you think I've missed anything.
theckhd

Postby jere » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Light's Hammer now generates threat from damage (Just tested tonight). Healing threat still has the old 25% modifier so they didn't fix that part, but at least the damage is generating threat correctly now.
jere

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 am

Excellent, I'll update that.
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Using Unbreakable Spirit will cause Divine Shield to come off cooldown about ten seconds before you need it again at Horridon.

Bubble at the end of P1, then HoP at the end of P2, the bubble will be ready again for the end of P3 leaving only the end of P4 requiring an external BoP (unless the other tank picks up the boss immediately and doesn't die until the debuff has expired naturally).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Thels » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:24 am

Fetzie wrote:Using Unbreakable Spirit will cause Divine Shield to come off cooldown about ten seconds before you need it again at Horridon.

Bubble at the end of P1, then HoP at the end of P2, the bubble will be ready again for the end of P3 leaving only the end of P4 requiring an external BoP (unless the other tank picks up the boss immediately and doesn't die until the debuff has expired naturally).

Is that easier than simply tank switching after every phase?

Also, wouldn't that favor clemency, as you can go BoP, BoP, Bubble, BoP, BoP?

EDIT: Miscalculated. You still need an external CD on the 4th one.
Last edited by Thels on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Sagara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 am

On 10-man it's going to help tons, while on 25, you can probably afford to three-tank it and not being worried about leftover adds wailing on the Horridon tank.

Honestly, I've found the ToT fights very forgiving of three-tanking.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents