Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't like locking myself into having a ton of hit or expertise on a single item, it can make swapping in new pieces a pain in the backside. Especially not on a trinket.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nooska » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:28 am

I agree with Fetzie, that being said, it can be a nice stopgap to cap your expertise (I've noticed hit bieng very liberallya pplied to gear, expertise, not so much)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby towelliee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 pm

So my guild wants me back on ole faithful for 5.2 progression, so I basically got power carried through some heroics this week. Any thoughts so far? I am basically going 7.5/7.5 and Haste.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... e/advanced
towelliee

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 am

Better to go 7.5/15, then haste. If you're doing 25 man, don't neglect your health-pool either.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby towelliee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 am

Hmmmm then I'd have to go double expertise on red slots to hit it with current gear set
towelliee

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 am

Don't forget you can get 960 Expertise from the two JC gems. You might also find that Long Arm of the Law gets you faster movement when you need it; that way you don't lose your run speed bonus when you use WoG or ShoR.

Fetzie

Postby econ21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

I'm sitting on about 3k valor before the patch, but starting to wonder if I should spend half of it upgrading the VP stamina trinket.

The primary concern is wasting valor in week 2 of the new tier. In week 1, there's a SP-A neck available at neutral. But then to get to friendly, you have to kill a boss and there's a suggestion LFR will open two weeks later, rather than one week later. That means if I go into the patch with 3k valor, spend 1250 but can't kill a boss in week 2, I'll effectively waste 750 valor.

A secondary consideration is that there is only 1 stamina trinket in 5.2, so getting the 489 one up to 497 might mean it sees some use for quite a while. (I like the mastery on use feature, as well as the stamina).
econ21

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 am

Upgrading the trinket is not a bad idea, considering how powerful the on use is.

You can technically use the trinket 14 seconds before HA and your ShoR will still benefit from the mastery all the way through the end of the HA, assuming you get a buffed SotR up with HA and don't let the buff expire. That's 30-40+ seconds, depending on your haste, of buffed ShoR which isn't too shabby. Even if you don't game it, it's still a really solid trinket.

Keep in mind, if there is trash before the first boss, you might be able to hit friendly with trash runs. So you might not end up needing to "waste" any VP if you go that route.
Gab

Postby econ21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 am

Gab wrote:Keep in mind, if there is trash before the first boss, you might be able to hit friendly with trash runs. So you might not end up needing to "waste" any VP if you go that route.

Yeah, it's a nice trinket. I was silly to upgrade some tier pieces rather than it, on reflection.

On MMO Champion, people said you only get to 5999/6000 (neutral) on trash.

The only uncertainty in my mind is whether LFR opens after one week or two. Blizzard said they'd announce the schedule shortly before the patch. I guess they really mean shortly.

EDIT: Raid schedule says 1st wing of LFR opens after one week, not two.
econ21

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 am

Is this the best item to buy after the neck?
http://www.wowhead.com/item=95141
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 am

I bought http://www.wowhead.com/item=95140

The crit rating can be reforged to Expertise or Hit, and 645 Haste speaks for itself IMO.

Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 am

I don't know... I'd rather have two good stats than one better and half a good one - especially now that I'm hit/exp capped and almost fighting out of it.
Both sound about right honestly.
Related question: Shado-pan DPS trinket: yay or meh? I'm more of the "meh" approach, at least for progression, further complicated by expertise capping becoming very annoying without it.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby daishan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 am

With the standard haste/control AMR stat weights the haste/crit ring comes out on top and it's what I bought for my 2nd piece.
I really can't decide about the trinkets either, it's mostly the 75 sec icd that puts me off the dps one, looks like it'll be fairly low uptime compared with the will haste trinket I have atm.
I'm thinking I'll wait till I'm honored (hopefully early next week) and get the haste cloak as that looks like bis for normal modes even though the raid drops have sockets (not counting thunderforged).
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 am

Well, the only reason it's really that high on the list is because Exp/Hit is valued so high. On the long run, we're going to have an easier time capping, so the relative value of exp/hit would tank (one of the reason that DPS trinket suck so bad in my eyes)
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby theckhd » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 am

daishan wrote:With the standard haste/control AMR stat weights the haste/crit ring comes out on top ...

That's not strictly the case. It depends on a few factors. For example, using "absolute" ranking the Loop (tanking ring) will always beat the Band (DPS ring). They're certainly close, but the tanking ring should be numerically superior given those stat weights in an absolute ranking. Even though the Band has more haste than the Loop has mastery, it also means you get more hit/exp from the reforged dodge on the Loop than you do from the Crit on the Band. And the leftover dodge has a reasonably significant value as well.

If you switch it to relative ranking, then the Band can sneak ahead (it does for my setup as well, in fact, but not by very much). But keep in mind that this will fluctuate from player to player. A player that's farther from the hit/exp caps will find the Loop superior, a player that's dancing around the caps may find the Band superior because it wastes less hit/exp (smaller increment through reforging lets you optimize around the cap better under constraints).

I'm also pretty sure their relative rankings use a "quick optimize" algorithm rather than the full optimization you get from the "Optimize" button, otherwise it would take considerably longer to load up relative rankings. And their quick-optimize algorithm is notoriously inaccurate (as in, I can still beat their full optimization algorithm by hand sometimes, and I can almost always beat their quick-optimizes). So when one item comes out a hair ahead of another (like, <100 points), it's hard to say that either is better with any degree of certainty.

In any event, you shouldn't be ranking items purely based on the AMR score anyway. The "relative" AMR ranking optimizes around your current gear, and thus values hit and expertise at full value on these lists. That's fine if you want to know "what's the best upgrade right now." It isn't a very accurate reflection of how good the item is over time though. For example, if you're way over expertise and hit caps, it might suppress the hit/exp item because it can't make use of all of that rating. But if you know that you're going to replace a few expertise items within a few weeks, and will need those stats, then that isn't a smart long-term strategy. Similarly for the reverse - if you're going to gain a lot of expertise itemization in the near future, then that hit/exp might not be as valuable as it is in your current gear.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice