[25N] Jin'rokh the Breaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[25N] Jin'rokh the Breaker

Postby Raive » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 am

So it took us 2 and a half hours but he went down on the first night of raid, was pretty happy with that. Just wish I had spent more time grinding rep on trash so the kill woulda brought me over friendly (got something like 330 rep from the boss kill).

The only thing that was really holding us back from the kill was people not kiting the orbs out of the puddle, so we replaced the troublemakers and had little trouble with the boss.

There were a few pulls early on that caused us some grievance with the tank debuff (it feels very backwards from the typical abilities that require tank swaps as it de-stacks over time as it were).
The main issue though is the timing of the debuff and the timing of the throw, when he throws his current tank he drops threat on the target and stuns him for 5 seconds, then almost immediately puts out the debuff. So, aside from having another player taunt the boss right when throw is about to come out (which could very well be a viable strategy and was something we were considering but didn't end up trying) you're stuck with a choice: either retaunt right before the boss is set to cast thundering throws or let him throw the tank that had just taunted off.
In the first scenario he'll switch back to the second tank and put the debuff up on him, landing a few hits with the full debuff before you can get back to retaunt the boss.
In the second, you'll end up getting more stacks of the debuff.
We tried both and ended up settling for me retaunting right before the throw (DBM timers seem very accurate).

Have players drop the fissures on the rectangles at the edge of the room when possible as the puddles don't cover the area.
Have a good coverage of raid CD's for lightning storm, it's a 15 second channel every 3 minutes, so chaining 3 minute CD's over the duration worked well for us.
Mark someone to stack on during Lightning Storm.
Save lust and damage CD's for the puddles.
The boss will usually break the statue behind him (not behind the tank as I was led to believe), so use this to control puddles (having them spawn in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction seems to work far better than spawning them across from each other).
The dps check seemed fairly trivial once we had the mechanics figured out, we killed the boss shortly after the fourth pool spawned.

Video of our kill, sorry it was from a stream so it gets choppy in places, forgot to turn fraps on.
http://www.twitch.tv/raininheaven/c/1994058
Raive

Re: [25N] Jin'rokh the Breaker

Postby Darielle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm

The boss will usually break the statue behind him (not behind the tank as I was led to believe), so use this to control puddles (having them spawn in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction seems to work far better than spawning them across from each other).

We didn't get this. The first time it did happen that way, but the second time I was facing into the entrance right, his back was to far side left, and he throw me into the entrace left pillar.
Previous attempts, it worked perfectly with him throwing into the entrace left pillar as I faced into it.
The theory I'm going to operate on now (and see if I can confirm it next week) is that he will throw into the quadrant he counts as standing in. If dead center, he will pick one at random.

But yeah, it's a really simple fight that comes down to "Drop fissures on the grill, don't stand in pool during raid aoe, collect loot".
Darielle

Postby Vayacondios » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Killed on the second pull with no PTR testing, super easy fight. So far I'm really unimpressed with ToT, sure hope the heroics have more teeth to them.

Kite orbs out of water, get out of water before the storm, loot boss.
Vayacondios

Postby Darielle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Not sure why you'd judge things on the difficulty of the Morchok/Marrowgar equivalent wing that's meant to be a gimme for simple mechanics.

Dark Animus, Durumu and stuff like that is where the fun is.
Darielle

Postby Chronos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 am

Seems more like he throws tank to the statue he is furthest from. Only saw two attempts before he died though.
Chronos

Postby mclem » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 pm

We're seeing some really inexplicable threat issues on this fight; it seems *far* too easy to accidentally get threat back when the staticed tank has had the boss taunted off them; even simple melee can do it. We adopted a strategy of kiting him to the side of the room immediately after the throw to minimise the hits with the debuff up and all-too-often the static tank would do a single melee hit while running to the edge and somehow get aggro from that.

I just can't figure out quite how that's happening.

The other really big problem we're seeing is people getting orbs just as the lightning storm starts; they can't stack up to be healed. Often they'll dump their fissure and then die when trying to get back to the pack.
mclem

Postby Heracles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 am

Myself and my Guild went in and did ToT for the first time last night and we found this boss fairly trivial. As with any semi-casual 3 day a week 25 man Guild (8/15 HC before the patch, inc Will HC)we had some people more prepared than others. We two shot the boss and kinda stumbled our way through it even with a few deaths due to one orb hitting the water early on.

The issues we had with the first wipe was people standing right in the middle of the water pool and basically nuking without moving, also some people failed big time on not kiting orbs. We called a wipe right after the electrified first pool due to half the raid being dead.

The second pull went a lot more smoothly as we reminded people to stand at the very edge of the pool and move as it grows. It's much easier to kite orbs and jump out of the pool when needed if you are at the edge of it rather than standing in the middle simply due to the distance you have to move. So yeah, even though distance travelled is the same, it's far better to DPS/heal for a few seconds > move > DPS/heal for a few seconds > move rinse and repeat.

We also found it useful to have someone call out orb targets on vent for a slap in the face to move prompt. We also found the handy hint on here of swapping just before throw useful so the tank with the debuff was the one to get thrown. I'm not too sure as to his priority as to where he throws the tank. We tried facing him to the pillar we wanted him to throw us, but he just seemed to do it randomly. I think next week we will try to pull him off of centre to see if he works like Feng and goes for the pillar of which quarter of the room he is in.

As for our savers we split them all basically in half. Used one half on the first electrified water phase, the other half on the 2nd, then the first lot were again off of CD for the third meaning that had we got there the 2nd lot of savers would have been off again for the fourth. It went down just after the third electrified pool.

Other than that there is not much to say, it's a pretty standard tank and spank fight, I hope the above helps someone out. Here is a video below of the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sfwsjT3Y8#!
Heracles

Postby Heracles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 am

Myself and my Guild went in and did ToT for the first time last night and we found this boss fairly trivial. As with any semi-casual 3 day a week 25 man Guild (8/15 HC before the patch, inc Will HC)we had some people more prepared than others. We two shot the boss and kinda stumbled our way through it even with a few deaths due to one orb hitting the water early on.

The issues we had with the first wipe was people standing right in the middle of the water pool and basically nuking without moving, also some people failed big time on not kiting orbs. We called a wipe right after the electrified first pool due to half the raid being dead.

The second pull went a lot more smoothly as we reminded people to stand at the very edge of the pool and move as it grows. It's much easier to kite orbs and jump out of the pool when needed if you are at the edge of it rather than standing in the middle simply due to the distance you have to move. So yeah, even though distance travelled is the same, it's far better to DPS/heal for a few seconds > move > DPS/heal for a few seconds > move rinse and repeat.

We also found it useful to have someone call out orb targets on vent for a slap in the face to move prompt. We also found the handy hint on here of swapping just before throw useful so the tank with the debuff was the one to get thrown. I'm not too sure as to his priority as to where he throws the tank. We tried facing him to the pillar we wanted him to throw us, but he just seemed to do it randomly. I think next week we will try to pull him off of centre to see if he works like Feng and goes for the pillar of which quarter of the room he is in.

As for our savers we split them all basically in half. Used one half on the first electrified water phase, the other half on the 2nd, then the first lot were again off of CD for the third meaning that had we got there the 2nd lot of savers would have been off again for the fourth. It went down just after the third electrified pool. This is the one we used Heroism on, though it'd probably be better to use it on the first (with everyone still alive :D).

Other than that there is not much to say, it's a pretty standard tank and spank fight. Here is a video below of the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sfwsjT3Y8#!
Heracles

Postby Raive » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm

mclem wrote:We're seeing some really inexplicable threat issues on this fight; it seems *far* too easy to accidentally get threat back when the staticed tank has had the boss taunted off them; even simple melee can do it. We adopted a strategy of kiting him to the side of the room immediately after the throw to minimise the hits with the debuff up and all-too-often the static tank would do a single melee hit while running to the edge and somehow get aggro from that.

I don't know if it's the issue you're describing, but keep in mind he does do a complete threat drop on whoever he throws.

As for the other concerns regarding the statue he picks, we were able to pick the order fairly well when we decided to just keep the boss dead center the whole fight and just had his back to the tower we wanted, I'm assuming it has something to do with the statue that the TANK is farthest away from now.

Hopefully should be able to figure things out for sure next time we get in.
Raive

Postby Heracles » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 am

As you can see on our video we didn't kite him, we just tanked him dead centre and tank swapped for the debuff, then the tank with the debuff taunted back just before "Throw." Do this literally 1-2 seconds before and you effectively have no aggro dump as the tank without the debuff stays waaaay on top.
Heracles

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)