Remove Advertisements

[25N] Horridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[25N] Horridon

Postby Sagara » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:30 am

So we got ten or tries on the guy last night. It was more "experimental" than anything because 23 peeps, 5 healers, among which 2 undergeared, so we decided to three-tank it. Here's the log if you're curious.

The boss in himself doesn't seem too though - good use of AM is the best way to handle Triple Puncture, and Paladins *rock* thanks to ShotR's nature. We just switched every door without too much trouble. Just have people move closer to the boss if they get charged to minimize the panic of a huge dino in the middle of an AoE-fest. Still, the adds seem to be a bit more problematic:

Farraki: easy as pie - stay closer to the side you come inside the room in, and move slowly to the other side of the gate as the sands start piling up. Get the stonegazers down ASAP, and you'll get through with minimal trouble.

Gurubashis are nasty little buggers compared to the Farraki - we often got upwards of 11 stacks of poison with the door littered in poison clouds. We had three dedicated interrupters on the Venomancers, but that didn't seem enough - should we rather focus the Effusions to limit the stacks, or the Venomancers to limit the amount of Effusion and speed things up? Also, if you got a MW Monk, Revival is awesome when you're done with Venomancers.

Drakkari didn't seem like much of a problem, but I got a hunch that we were wrong to just AoE the whole lot. The Mortal Strike debuff looks horrible, so maybe we should focus fire the Warlords and THEN wipe up the rest.

Amani: only got to those guys once, but they didn't seem too though. Just be careful to stop DPS'ing bears when another bear dies - the Beast Shaman is really nasty.

War-God seems easy enough, execution-wise: just have enough guys alive to burn him fast.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Re: [25N] Horridon

Postby Chronos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 am

In our 10 n the gurubashi and drakkari were definitely the hardest. We burned effusions as they have way less hp and cast the same aoe spell that the priests do. We also marked priests when more than one were up and burned it fast. The Drakkari was the hardest for us with only two paladins on dispels one of them prot. Again we marked a mortal strike mob and cleaved off it. Two other things helped us a lot. Get control orb ASAP! Prevent another wave from coming. We also had everyone move towards Amani door so that all Drakkari hsd to run thru me to get to them. Cleanse on cd too.
Chronos

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

Recommend heroing on one of the doors, second or third. Proper interrupting makes a world of difference to the raid damage on the second, so if you get that sorted hero on the third door. At least on 10 man the last phase is a joke. We had 4 people dead by the time we got to the last phase on our kill try (standing on totems on fourth door primarily >_<) and no heroism, and one tank, and killed it fine, though we had paladin tank + paladin healer rotating hops to clear the tank debuff.
Rhiannon

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 am

Rhiannon wrote:Recommend heroing on one of the doors, second or third. Proper interrupting makes a world of difference to the raid damage on the second, so if you get that sorted hero on the third door. At least on 10 man the last phase is a joke. We had 4 people dead by the time we got to the last phase on our kill try (standing on totems on fourth door primarily >_<) and no heroism, and one tank, and killed it fine, though we had paladin tank + paladin healer rotating hops to clear the tank debuff.

That's how we managed it. Assigned interrupts for second door, Lusted on third, laughed at 4th.

The only difference is that I tanked the boss the entire fight, using a /cancelaura macro and DS/HoP (with Clemency) to clear my stacks after each gate. Had a sustained 150k dps for it, while our Monk handled adds. Shield of the Righteous timed against Triple Puncture made tank healing a joke, so it was easier for our healers this way.

EDIT: for clarity.

But hey, challenge accepted :P
Last edited by Bellanka on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 am

Bellanka, so you just tanked the boss and the adds? Did you run into any issues with Double Swipe or anything?
Belloc

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Belloc wrote:Bellanka, so you just tanked the boss and the adds? Did you run into any issues with Double Swipe or anything?

No, JUST the boss. No Tank swaps. I had Horridon from engage until he died and our Monk tanked adds. He has much better AoE threat, and I have much better single target survivability. I edited my previous post for clarity, sorry!

But thinking about this ... it is possible to solo tank the encounter, but your skills and awareness as a tank are going to have to be pretty spot on. Letting a Triple Puncture (370k base on normal 10m, +10% per stack ... ouch) go off without SoTR up to mitigate it would be rough. The vengeance stacks alone would cement any threat issues, melee can stand inside the boss, or off to the side and strafing out of and back into Double Strike is easy. Would need someone kiting the orb droppers in P3 and have our Disc Priest and Holydins healing... and this is definitely possible.

I'm going to ask my team if they wouldn't mind letting me try this for a pull or two next week.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Shouldn't be too bad really, he will be charging into melee all the time anyway so they should be used to dodging swipes.

The only problem would be those orb dropping dicks, they Mortal Strike and hurt quite a bit. But if you Heroism that door with that much Vengeance and an extra DPS, they'll be dead before CDs fall.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 am

Sagara wrote:The boss in himself doesn't seem too though - good use of AM is the best way to handle Triple Puncture, and Paladins *rock* thanks to ShotR's nature. We just switched every door without too much trouble. Just have people move closer to the boss if they get charged to minimize the panic of a huge dino in the middle of an AoE-fest. Still, the adds seem to be a bit more problematic:

Good use of Aura Mastery? For a physical attack?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 am

I would guess he means Active Mitigation, so our SotR :p
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:57 am

Yea, that makes a lot more sense...lol. Similar acyronyms has me all confused.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 am

Whoooooops! Yeah, Active Mitigation :) I'm trying to stay class-neutral, which doesn't help ^^

Sagara

Postby Astronomic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 am

What's a good health percentage to have horridon at once you've finished the 4th door, and about how long does he have left on enrage? Also seems like horridon is the bane of our monk tank. He can get bursted down 500-600k hp in 2 seconds : /
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Sagara » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:28 am

Astronomic wrote:What's a good health percentage to have horridon at once you've finished the 4th door, and about how long does he have left on enrage? Also seems like horridon is the bane of our monk tank. He can get bursted down 500-600k hp in 2 seconds : /

THat's probably because he can't use much of his defensive model - dodge and parry don't work on Triple Puncture, so he has to rely on his Stagger/Purifying Brew. COnsidering every other TP immediatly follows a Double Swipe, I can imagine him getting trounced. How much is he Staggering?

Sagara

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:34 am

Astronomic wrote:What's a good health percentage to have horridon at once you've finished the 4th door, and about how long does he have left on enrage? Also seems like horridon is the bane of our monk tank. He can get bursted down 500-600k hp in 2 seconds : /

You can have horridion at 100% as far as i can see. We literally didn't touch him until the 4th door was closed and he melted in p5 with hero.
Winkle

Postby Bellanka » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 am

Sagara wrote:

THat's probably because he can't use much of his defensive model - dodge and parry don't work on Triple Puncture, so he has to rely on his Stagger/Purifying Brew. COnsidering every other TP immediatly follows a Double Swipe, I can imagine him getting trounced. How much is he Staggering?

Why would the Double Strike matter? That can be easily strafed out of, and strafed back into position when it's over. Triple Puncture and normal melee are the only boss abilities a tank should ever be hit by. I was talking to a few other tankadins last night after our raid (woo, whispers!) one of whom linked me a youtube of their attempts, and I saw their OT getting hit by Double Strike so often it was painful to watch, all because they were trying to run out backwards.

Double Strike is a cone AoE, which means it's narrower towards the boss. People who are having problems avoiding it can just straight towards the boss and a little out or, like I prefer, curve-strafe out and back in.

Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)