Path of Exile - ARPG

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:16 am

Shoju wrote:The crafting/bartering system is still a little "meh", but I like the game more than I did a few weeks ago.



I love the crafting/bartering system but to each his own. It isn't very "noob" friendly and you can certainly make some costly mistakes if you don't know what you're doing. There are plenty of guides, Krip's are pretty good.

Have a 42 LA ranger that I use for group play and a 48 summoner witch for solo play, both hardcore. Also have several default toons, either HC deaths or "experiment" builds.

This game has far more depth than D3 and just a generally more hardcore mentality. Death experience penality in default, no skill swapping unless you spend a ton on Orbs of Regret etc...

I've already put more hours into it than I did for D3 and it isn't even close to getting stale as far as I can tell.

Edit: Also loving the races.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

bldavis wrote:shield templar?

Indeed. Just finished up Normal with him, headed to Cruel. Would love to try hardcore, but I've been having far too many disconnects to even bother. I'm doing the whole Shield Charge - Glacial Hammer - Ice Nova - Enduring Cry - Warlord's Mark thing. I have tried to use Immortal Call, but I'm just not digging it. i'm probably going to swap that out with Molten Shell, and see how that works for a bit.

Gab wrote:
Shoju wrote:The crafting/bartering system is still a little "meh", but I like the game more than I did a few weeks ago.



I love the crafting/bartering system but to each his own. It isn't very "noob" friendly and you can certainly make some costly mistakes if you don't know what you're doing. There are plenty of guides, Krip's are pretty good.

Have a 42 LA ranger that I use for group play and a 48 summoner witch for solo play, both hardcore. Also have several default toons, either HC deaths or "experiment" builds.

This game has far more depth than D3 and just a generally more hardcore mentality. Death experience penality in default, no skill swapping unless you spend a ton on Orbs of Regret etc...

I've already put more hours into it than I did for D3 and it isn't even close to getting stale as far as I can tell.

Edit: Also loving the races.


For me, the problem with the crafting system, is that it's the currency system. I've had terrible luck getting people to trade. To date, I've sold

2 Uniques
1- 5 attribute rare Quiver that rolled perfect on Attack Speed, and Chaos Resist
1- Gem

I've bought

1- 2h'er

I've been following the guides on how to make the more simple stuff, and I've been using the vendors to build up my stockpile of some things, I just hate that there is no currency. Because of the way I've been playing, with so little "purchased" gear, when i sell things, what I want, and what I'm looking for as "valuable" isn't to others.

So, it's hard to get people to come off of things, or be interested in trading with me, because I'm after far different things than they have.

I'm sure that will change now that I'm working on this character, and feeling more comfortable with him.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Haven't had any connection issues but I did lose my first LA Ranger to desync at level 37 and have had some other close calls. It's beta and to be expected even though it's still a bit frustrating.

Are you trying to trade gear for other gear? I've found that selling gear for "currency" and using that "currency" to purchase other gear is the way to go. Also at low levels (sub 50ish) it's almost always better to buy gear than try crafting unless you want to throw an orb of chance here or there on a nicely socketed quality piece or a +20 onyx ammy etc... You can also mess around with a couple dozen less "valuable" currency items here and there (alt, transmorg, jeweler's, chromatic etc...).

And since the forum search feature is awful you might want to check out http://poe.xyz.is/. It's much better at finding items than browsing tons of forum threads that may or may not still be relevant. Many times you can find some great items in 1 alch/fusing shops. Even some shops that are selling for alt/jeweller's/chance Especially for default.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Gab wrote:Haven't had any connection issues but I did lose my first LA Ranger to desync at level 37 and have had some other close calls. It's beta and to be expected even though it's still a bit frustrating.

Are you trying to trade gear for other gear? I've found that selling gear for "currency" and using that "currency" to purchase other gear is the way to go. Also at low levels (sub 50ish) it's almost always better to buy gear than try crafting unless you want to throw an orb of chance here or there on a nicely socketed quality piece or a +20 onyx ammy etc... You can also mess around with a couple dozen less "valuable" currency items here and there (alt, transmorg, jeweler's, chromatic etc...).

And since the forum search feature is awful you might want to check out http://poe.xyz.is/. It's much better at finding items than browsing tons of forum threads that may or may not still be relevant. Many times you can find some great items in 1 alch/fusing shops. Even some shops that are selling for alt/jeweller's/chance Especially for default.


I've tried to trade gear for gear, gear for currency, gear for gems, etc... and it just hasn't worked out for me. No one is interested in what I have, So I end up vendoring it off to get the best stuff I can, and then I craft my own stuff.

I tried poe.xyz.is for a bit, and didn't have much better luck than I did using the forum feature. Sure, I found Gear I was after, but instead of not being able to afford it, it was all gone.

I'll probably just keep truckin' along as I am for now, and when I hit Maps (if I hit maps) I'll try to sell stuff again. My little thread on the boards goes largely overlooked. I'd assume because the gear is lower level, the uniques aren't that good, and the gem market is flooded to the point where even my Quality gems are worthless.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am

Yeah I imagine the default economy is a lot rougher than HC economy. Q Gems, for example, never leave the economy unless they are crap anyway and get vendored for GCPs. So unless you have 12%+ desirable (AKA OP, FotM) gems (LA, Frost Shock, Ground Slam, Summons or supports etc...) they probably aren't worth much.

In HC low-mid level gear still sells pretty consistantly because you are trying to squeeze out every bit of improvement you can to help you not die so people are always looking for upgrades. Same thing for Q gems, some Q gems are insanely better than their normal equivalent. Where in default it doesn't really matter if you die (arguable at merciless since the exp penalty starts becoming pretty significant but that's not mid-low level) so min/maxxing isn't nearly as important.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 am

Gab wrote:Yeah I imagine the default economy is a lot rougher than HC economy. Q Gems, for example, never leave the economy unless they are crap anyway and get vendored for GCPs. So unless you have 12%+ desirable (AKA OP, FotM) gems (LA, Frost Shock, Ground Slam, Summons or supports etc...) they probably aren't worth much.

In HC low-mid level gear still sells pretty consistantly because you are trying to squeeze out every bit of improvement you can to help you not die so people are always looking for upgrades. Same thing for Q gems, some Q gems are insanely better than their normal equivalent. Where in default it doesn't really matter if you die (arguable at merciless since the exp penalty starts becoming pretty significant but that's not mid-low level) so min/maxxing isn't nearly as important.


Yeah, the default economy is in the toilet. I found a quiver for level 35, that had rolled

Chaos Resist,
Improved Attack Speed,
+Cold and +Lightning damage mods

It was ilvl 41 (Go go Fetid Pools :roll: ), I had two people offer me on it. One guy, wanted to give me 2GCP for it. Wow! That's cool, right? Well, sure, if I were end game, but I'm not. I'm still leveling, slow as molasses, enjoying the sights, planning my build, etc... I had another guy offer me 5 Alch, and 2 Chaos for it.

I took the 5 alch and 2 chaos. I can use those. The 2 GCP would have sat, and sat, and sat, and sat. Maybe, once I hit Merciless on something, I might care.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 am

This should be used as a general rule of thumb and not taken as gospel but these exchange rates are pretty close (especially for default), some people go by them explicitly while some people are enraged (because they can't rip off unaware players?).

http://www.poeex.info/

Generally speaking you didn't make a bad trade but 2 Chaos, 5 alch is more or less equivalent to 4.5 chaos or 1.5 GCP. I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to craft immediately or if you want to look for some deals and trade the GCPs for gear or wait to trade them for alchs/chaos... It's really hard to say. Which is what I like about the economy, everything is worth something but it's all relative.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Gab wrote:This should be used as a general rule of thumb and not taken as gospel but these exchange rates are pretty close (especially for default), some people go by them explicitly while some people are enraged (because they can't rip off unaware players?).

http://www.poeex.info/

Generally speaking you didn't make a bad trade but 2 Chaos, 5 alch is more or less equivalent to 4.5 chaos or 1.5 GCP. I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to craft immediately or if you want to look for some deals and trade the GCPs for gear or wait to trade them for alchs/chaos... It's really hard to say. Which is what I like about the economy, everything is worth something but it's all relative.


I've got that site marked, and I'd probably use it a lot more if I were able to get more trades going. But with trading being the way it has been for me, I've really been trying to get what I'm after, to craft as I go.

Back to my character for just a second:

One of the things that I love about a shield templar, is that it opens up gearing to a much wider level than what I had with the Marauder. With my Marauder, I needed to find gear that had Life, Chaos Resist, and Ele Resists. With the templar, I have picked up skill points in such a way, that I get 30% Ele resist just from carrying a shield, I'm trying to stick to the Ceremonial Type Kite Shields that have 24% resist on them, and then I picked up a 15% resist node, and 2x body and soul nodes.

Just from the random pieces of gear I have, I'm able to cap my Ele Resists in Cruel (I'm still just in Act I with this Char), I've drug myself out of the negatives on Chaos resist, and then after that, I really just want Life, Armor, ES, and offensive abilities at this point.

I know it will get harder once I make it to Merc, and I have an even stiffer penalty on my resists, But, from just the Shield type I want to use, I will have the penalty covered, which means I'm not fretting on trying to get specific gear.

If I do retire my Marauder (looking likely), I will probably move over one ring from him, which will vastly improve my HP levels (it's got +79 life on it, and I'm currently at a +80% modifier), and then I'll be looking to part with some pretty freaking awesome Marauder Gear for leveling. The chest, is mid 30's, and is a 4L piece, the 2h'er is a little slow, but huge damage range. (reqs level 40, sitting at 280 damage between phys and ele), and most of the other gear is top quality, and pretty decent stuff. Here's hoping I can make something off of it.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Templar has amazingly strong starting skills compared to pretty much everyone, in addittion to being in a very versatile location in the tree. Cataclyse, Celestial Walker, Elementalist, D & T, B & S to name a few. Compare those to other classes early skills and you get the idea.

You see wand, bow, minion, 2h, sword and board, staff etc... Templar builds that are viable end game builds, no other class offer even close to that.

Going shield specced has significant advantages especially when it comes to map gearing. You can get decently geared, with respectable dps for far far less investment because of all the great resist and ele damage nodes. And when you finally do get some insanely expensive +ele damage, +life, +chaos resist, +x resist gear you can just scour out a couple of those resist nodes. It's pretty fantastic if a little low on damage compared to the more popular builds.

Marauder has some of those same options but is not nearly as strong early-mid game and not nearly as versatile.

I imagine you're going LS/TS/MS?
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Right now, I'm using

Tempest Shield
Shield Charge for mobility (and against elementally resistant rares/uniques, since it always hits, even if the damage isn't "great")
Glacial Hammer
Ice Nova
Enduring Cry
Immortal Call (Wont lie, I'm debating cutting it)
Warlord's Mark.

I'm Kind of a... Damage Mitigation nut, so I'm using the Cold Damage, because Chilled Enemies attack Slower, and Frozen Enemies don't beat on you at all (while frozen). I've skilled into an extra endurance charge, and once I finish off where I'm at in the skill tree, I'm headed to Marauder country to pick up another Endurance Charge, and RT. (so... within the next 15 skill points) I'm also debating trying to pick up a Koam's Sign, since that's another Endurance Charge, and they seem to be the single best way to mitigate damage in the game.

I would like to swap over to using Frostbite, but without a significant investment to get 2x curse, I need to get a little further in the life leech/on hit department before I can commit to not using Warlord's Mark for some life leech on bigger packs. So, I'm debating with going towards Heavy Strike, and Ground Slam, but that's really what I was doing on my marauder, and I really like using the Cold skills. It's more of a "thing" that I would do.

I thought about switching to Lightning stuff, thinking that the damage increase from Shock would offset the survivability of chilled, but I'm not sure, and haven't messed with it yet. I'm probably going to toss the lightning gems in some open slots, get them leveled, and give it a whirl. I should be able to get them to a respectable level in time to use them in Act I, probably on the way to merveil.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm

So, In Act II Cruel, I realized that playing melee, and not having Resolute Technique is the worst thing ever.

EVER

I ended up deleting my Marauder, and have migrated a ton of gems over to my Templar, respecced some, and picked up Resolute Technique, and have been driving forward, with a lot less problems. I've also swapped to Infernal Blow over Glacial Hammer, even though I still use Ice Nova for AoE. The Damage Mitigation of Glacial Hammer in a single target perspective was minimal enough in size that swapping over to the massive DPS increase of Infernal blow hasn't made me feel less tanky.

On the other hand, Ice Nova-ing large packs to chill and Freeze is still a massive boon to my Damage Mitigation, so it stays. I've also given up on trying to use Immortal call. It's cool, and maybe at higher levels of the gem if it gets a longer duration, it might be better, but right now, blowing 4 endurance charges for 1.2 seconds of damage immunity isn't helping much. So I've been tinkering with other gems to see what I like, and what I don't.

I have to say, maybe it's just that the marauder was my first char, or maybe they are just not good, but I am having a much better time on the Templar than I did on the Marauder.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 am

Leap Slam is quite awesome. Not because of it's damage ability or because I can use it to get out of combat/in combat, but because I can use it to JUMP OVER WALLS instead of having to walk around the entire path just to get somewhere...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 am

Skye1013 wrote:Leap Slam is quite awesome. Not because of it's damage ability or because I can use it to get out of combat/in combat, but because I can use it to JUMP OVER WALLS instead of having to walk around the entire path just to get somewhere...


I have thought about running it on my templar just for the mobility, even though I LOVE Shield Charge when the pathing doesn't fail.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

Haven't had a chance to play much lately with 5.2 out but found this gem in chat yesterday. Inadvertently racist random prefix/sufix/tilesets, something GGG might want to look into.

I know it's wrong... but I couldn't help a chuckle...

http://imgur.com/xvWulgP
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 am

Gab wrote:Haven't had a chance to play much lately with 5.2 out but found this gem in chat yesterday. Inadvertently racist random prefix/sufix/tilesets, something GGG might want to look into.

I know it's wrong... but I couldn't help a chuckle...

http://imgur.com/xvWulgP


Before I clicked the link, I thought, well... Maybe it's something a NZ'er wouldn't know... But... Yeah... That's going to need coded to not happen.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest