patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Teranoid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:28 am

They said new content. Scaling old instances isn't new content and I refuse to believe after all the shit of ZA/ZG they'd be stupid enough to not only do it again but have that be a selling point of anything let alone a bridge to a new expansion.
Teranoid

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 am

Lieris wrote:As for scaling old content, I have absolutely no interest and I say this as someone who did A LOT of old content in the past. I don't like the way they continue to reheat yesterday's content and serve it up as new; it's a waste of resources. The expansion only has 8 dungeons and yet they are wasting their time with this.

I disagree. I've been advocating for using old content for years, in some scope or another. Instead of rehasing 8 dungeons for dailies, why not let us run one of 76 dungeons instead? If they mix old raid instances as well that number hits the 90s or so. This is an absurd amount of content lying fallow.

While that old stuff is old to those of us who have been playing forever, it would be new -- or somewhat fresh -- to people who started playing later. Do "new" players outnumber "old" players?

I'd prefer if they could work in randomly generated dungeons somehow, personally, but making old stuff applicable in a *fun* way as an optional method of VP grinding isn't a bad second choice.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 am

Maraudon? quit the dungeon
UBRS? quit the dungeon
WC? quit the dungeon

I can list many others...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:56 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Lieris wrote:As for scaling old content, I have absolutely no interest and I say this as someone who did A LOT of old content in the past. I don't like the way they continue to reheat yesterday's content and serve it up as new; it's a waste of resources. The expansion only has 8 dungeons and yet they are wasting their time with this.

I disagree. I've been advocating for using old content for years, in some scope or another. Instead of rehasing 8 dungeons for dailies, why not let us run one of 76 dungeons instead? If they mix old raid instances as well that number hits the 90s or so. This is an absurd amount of content lying fallow.

While that old stuff is old to those of us who have been playing forever, it would be new -- or somewhat fresh -- to people who started playing later. Do "new" players outnumber "old" players?

I'd prefer if they could work in randomly generated dungeons somehow, personally, but making old stuff applicable in a *fun* way as an optional method of VP grinding isn't a bad second choice.

It's also an absurd waste of development time. Unless you're one of the people who appreciated Cataclysm's lack of anything to do because so much time was wasted revamping 1-60.
Teranoid

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:31 am

The new dungeons get pretty boring after a while (although that's true of anything), but it doesn't help thatt two of them are old content.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am

If they are going to just scale everything up and leave the instances largely untouched then really the idea is kind of naff. It's completely uninteresting.

However if they are going to do it properly and put in new mechanics on the bosses, more interesting trash, re-itemised loot, challenge mode targets etc. then it's a massive undertaking that has taken considerable resources away from making new dungeons in an expansion that only has 6 (plus 2 remade old ones).

I just don't like this constant mining of past glories to pad out expansions. The new raid in 5.2 looks like it could be the best raid since Ulduar... that's the sort of content that will get me to resubscribe and what I want them to be piling 100% of their resources into.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Problem is the largest part of the playerbase, the people who started playing from late WotLK onwards when the game has become "more casual", have never seen all the vanilla/tbc/most of wotlk stuff, and would be interested in it.

To this not saying I'd approve, but I'm quite sure the new feature will be about mentoring and possibly rerunning old dungeons.

Would be glad to be proven wrong, obviously.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 pm

I just really I dont get them as part of my daily heroic... like I said, there are tons of old dungeons I despise with all my guts. I'd rather get 30 mins deserter debuffs than do those runs.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:33 pm

I'd rather have the old raids available as at-level LFRs. But any scaling down would be very meh at best. Old dungeons? I'd never touch them.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 pm

halabar wrote:I'd rather have the old raids available as at-level LFRs. But any scaling down would be very meh at best. Old dungeons? I'd never touch them.

Yeah, old raids id do... Old dungeons? Fuck no
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:54 pm

I'd suggest something like they have in the RBG queuing where you can pick a handful of instances that you don't want (with 76 instances, maybe 5ish that you could "ban.") While not a perfect solution, it would allow you to remove your absolute least favorite.

Edit: Also, not sure when the last time was you ran some of those dungeons you listed Klaud, but a lot of them have been reworked (ie. broken up) to be far less annoying.

WC - Dungeon shrank to be less mazey with a couple removed bosses (iirc, the thunderlizard and elemental bosses are gone.)

Maraudon - Broken into three parts, with each being considered a separate instance, but still allowing a full clear if a group desires it.

UBRS - haven't noticed any changes, but I don't think I've gotten any random queues of it thus far.

BRD - broken into four or five sections (like Mara) that doesn't require a full clear for completion credit.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 pm

I saw the new versions, still dont like them
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm

BRD is still ridiculously terrible no matter how much you break it up.
Teranoid

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Would be nice to have some sort of indicator that you're even heading towards the correct bosses for completion (particularly when leveling.) I had one group in there that was somewhere around the Dwarven Council when I joined them. We finished up the Princess/Emperor... nobody got loot bags. Come to find out the one boss they needed to kill was the only one they didn't (the first one in the Detention Block.)

Maybe take a page from Rift and have auto-"quests" that start when you enter the dungeon, and tell you which boss/mobs you're supposed to be killing (kill X hounds and Y prison guards, something you should be killing on the way to the correct boss anyhow) with it auto-updating as you complete each section. I know they have quests like that already in the dungeons, but they do nothing to steer the person towards completion of RDF.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Looks like it is Tues, according to tweets.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General