Remove Advertisements

patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 pm

That was the stated reasoning why they haven't implemented it before.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Flex wrote:That was the stated reasoning why they haven't implemented it before.

And GC's response seems to indicate that they're willing to try to risk the griefing, much as they are with the new Trex world boss.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Judging how they had to implement changes to pet battles to prevent griefing in PvP matches I have little hope for this system to last longer than 2 weeks without big changes.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby melisandyr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Which is really sad. The shared looting and credit system in GW2 is one of the most refreshing features.

It's really a problem that the design team have made for themselves, with the acquisition of loot being at the pinnacle of WoW achievement for too many people.
melisandyr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

melisandyr wrote:Which is really sad. The shared looting and credit system in GW2 is one of the most refreshing features.

It's really a problem that the design team have made for themselves, with the acquisition of loot being at the pinnacle of WoW achievement for too many people.

I think your last point is important, but not the only problem.

I am not sure I even understand where another person tagging resulted boosting the health of the mob even seemed like a reasonable idea. It shouldn't have left the whiteboard. Now, the Diablo idea of boosting it if you were in a group and the other members were in the vicinity? Sure, though I think loot would also need to be added since it's no longer the original 1-on-1 encounter.

To be honest, I don't think I'd give a crap if someone else hit a mob once, got credit and a chance at loot if the fight and loot didn't change for me. Hell, it'd make questing a whole lot less annoying early on when zones are packed. I would definitely care if there was a way for a new player to 'steal' credit from me (say if they did more damage to a particular mob before it died).

If it is only being thought about for rare spawns... this is where I think it's the loot that becomes an issue more than achievements, etc. Either they'd have to adjust the spawn rates or individual drop rates (assuming each person gets a separate roll/loot table) or simply accept that what would probably be a small percentage more people will get said loot.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

benebarba wrote:
melisandyr wrote:Which is really sad. The shared looting and credit system in GW2 is one of the most refreshing features.

I think your last point is important, but not the only problem.

I am not sure I even understand where another person tagging resulted boosting the health of the mob even seemed like a reasonable idea. It shouldn't have left the whiteboard. Now, the Diablo idea of boosting it if you were in a group and the other members were in the vicinity? Sure, though I think loot would also need to be added since it's no longer the original 1-on-1 encounter.

To be honest, I don't think I'd give a crap if someone else hit a mob once, got credit and a chance at loot if the fight and loot didn't change for me. Hell, it'd make questing a whole lot less annoying early on when zones are packed. I would definitely care if there was a way for a new player to 'steal' credit from me (say if they did more damage to a particular mob before it died).

If it is only being thought about for rare spawns... this is where I think it's the loot that becomes an issue more than achievements, etc. Either they'd have to adjust the spawn rates or individual drop rates (assuming each person gets a separate roll/loot table) or simply accept that what would probably be a small percentage more people will get said loot.

It seemed like the rolls were individual (Sha system), but that wasn't totally clear.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby econ21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:39 am

I've been reading up on the first boss of the new raid (Jin'rokh). It sounds like a non-trivial dps check - for 10N, some calculate you need about 120k dps each dps player including the 40% buff you periodically get from the water sometimes, so maybe 100k dps without it. My guild is quite away off that (ilevel is typically 485-490ish) but I am wondering what is the best fight in the current tier to assess dps? i.e. to check when we have the 100k dps or so?

I guess the easiest thing is just to periodically try the Jin'rokh fight itself. But is there a current fight we could look without too much distortion from damage buffs or downtime when people can't dps? I guess the first three in MSV might qualify? The dps seem pretty free to go all out on them.
econ21

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 am

Gara'jal and Stone Guard are not good for judging, as there's the buff on one and cleave on the other. Feng is probably the best bet. First two in HoF aren't bad for it, though ranged have to move a lot. Empress is pretty stand-still during p1 and p3, as is Sha of Fear on the main platform.

You're right 100k per person could be close for a 10N guild. How often is that damage buff up?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 am

This is looking further than 5.2, but I dunno which other thread would be appropriate. Just read dev interview summaries on MMO-Champ. Stringing a few things together:

- They're sticking to the story-tier-story-tier patch cycle.
- They'll continue to release the patches every 2-3 months
- Orgrimmar will be patch 5.4 (another 3-tier expansion, then. Guess WotLK will prove to be the sole exception).
- They're organising their team to avoid the last tier being a long wait for the next expansion.

This suggests we'll have the final tier around September, and a new expansion possibly in the first half of 2014. (Could this be the first time they actually succeed in a 1.5 year expansion cycle instead of taking 2 years? I will remain skeptical unless they launch the public beta straight after Blizzcon (at the latest).)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby econ21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 am

KysenMurrin wrote:You're right 100k per person could be close for a 10N guild. How often is that damage buff up?

The back of the envelope calculation I read assumed 66% uptime.

Looking at Icy Veins, the 120k dps figure assumes 5 dps. It's 100k dps with 6 dps. So if we have a 40% buff for 66% of the time, I make it that you would need 80k dps. That's more attainable.
econ21

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 am

Oh, yeah, that'd be pretty easy to hit, then.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am

How long does the buff last? You could use blood-lust at a point in the fight when most/all have the 40% damage buff to inflate your dps higher than normal.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby econ21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 am

Fetzie wrote:How long does the buff last? You could use blood-lust at a point in the fight when most/all have the 40% damage buff to inflate your dps higher than normal.

I was reading the strategy on Icy Veins and yes, that's what they recommend. The buff comes from standing in some pools of water that periodically you have to leave. So using blood-lust when you have just settled down in a pool, well before you have to leave, is recommended. That would lessen the raw dps requirement as you say. It's all back of the envelope calculations - we'll know better when we see logs. The feedback from the ptr was that the dps check seemed a little tight and those testers had 502 gear, so I suspect it's not going to be feasible for my guild in high 480s/low 490s. But it might be worth a try.
econ21

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 am

The main encounter designer said that Jin'Rokh should be doable for people who are still on Garalon in the Tier 14 raids when the patch hits as it is more a fight dance than raw numbers encounter.
Flex

Postby honorshammer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 am

Lead Encounter Designer Ion Hazzikostas

guilds that haven't finished Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring are likely going to run into difficulty keeping up with the fights much past Council of Elders, the third encounter in Throne of Thunder. The zone is tuned for people who have completed the previous tier of raiding. When 5.2 arrives, we're reducing the difficulty of the 5.0 raids, in part to help guilds that weren't quite able to get through all the 5.0 bosses get caught up.

If your guild runs into a roadblock on Normal mode, consider revisiting any 5.0 raids that you never finished, or trying some of the 5.0 Heroics for more gear upgrades to complement the ilvl-522 and -528 gear you'll be getting from your Throne of Thunder kills each week.

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/02/28/guild ... zzikostas/
honorshammer

PreviousNext

Return to General