All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Klaudandus wrote:This is all Selig's fault in the first place -- Everyone knew he was a terrible owner from his days as the owner of the Montreal Expos. They allow him to sell the Expos to the MLB, so the Expos become a team owned by the other 29 teams, then he buys the Marlins... and screws them just as bad?

Yeah, that is a mess. I wonder how and why he rated so highly above the other potential buyers for the Marlins?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://nflspinzone.com/2013/02/16/texas-governor-rick-perry-hopes-san-diego-chargers-consider-san-antonio/

So crazy it might potato.

Anyplace but LA. Anyplace but LA..

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:05 am

halabar wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://nflspinzone.com/2013/02/16/texas-governor-rick-perry-hopes-san-diego-chargers-consider-san-antonio/

Well, LA has its own drama right now
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4446.story
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:

Well, LA has its own drama right now
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4446.story

No drama there, other than the infighting between the son and daughter.

halabar

Postby Teranoid » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm

It's cool I'm sure the Lakers will dedicate the rest of their losses this season to his memory.
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Teranoid wrote:It's cool I'm sure the Lakers will dedicate the rest of their losses this season to his memory.

I can only pray that they miss the playoffs...

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Was reading MMQB and holy crap...

The Niners will have eight picks in the first five rounds and six in the final two -- including a compensatory in either the third or fourth round, and two in the seventh.

And that's not counting what they might get for Smith, should they decide to trade him. A talented team, with that many pics.. they may be the new Patriots.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:32 pm

I hate Harbaugh but that's smart dealing.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I hate Harbaugh but that's smart dealing.

Need to get over my loathing for the Chin, but I fear for what my newly adopted Seahawks will have to deal with in the 9ers for the next decade or so..

halabar

Postby Koatanga » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Seahawks have a total of 10 picks in the draft, but the roster is pretty tight and it will be difficult for the later round picks to make the team.

If SF is similar, then it doesn't really matter how many picks they have - they still have to trim down to a 54-man roster just like everyone else.

Seattle has the 54 from last season less minimal free agent losses, but will be adding back in some injured reserve players, and possibly free agent signings. They will most likely look to trade up in order to shed some draft picks.

I hear SF is finding trouble dealing Smith - nobody wants him for $8 mil/yr, or nobody wants to give up picks for him.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 am

There are some things glaringly wrong in the article.

Josh Gordon
The biggest, is that they call Josh Gordon an undrafted rookie free agent. No. No. No. We spent a second round pick in the supplemental draft on him.

Did this guy watch a game?
It also just looks at stats, and doesn't look at injuries. When Phil Taylor was on the field, our rush defense was better. When Haden was at CB we were better. When Skrine wasn't on the @)#(&*(#&!*(#%@#(^*(#&%@*(%&@*(&@(#*&*(!@#^$!&*^$ING field at Defense we were better.

QB's
I hate basing things off of one game, but with the three QB's that we have, anything short of a completely open competition for the starting job is a failure. Let's compare two games with different starting QB's.

Cleveland V Steelers, Game 1.
Weeden - 17/26 | 158 yds | 1 TD | 1 INT | 4 SCK -28YDS | 78.7 RAT

Cleveland V Steelers, Game 2.
Lewis - 22/32 | 204 yds | 1 TD | 1 INT | 3 SCK -14 YDS | 83.3 RAT

Now, I'm not saying that Lewis is a HUGE Improvement over Weeden. But what I am saying, is that against the same opponent, Lewis looked at least "as good" as Weeden. If that isn't a call to open up the competition, I'm not sure what is. Lewis also played in a game where he wasn't gifted 8 turnovers.

Don't try to sell us on the "Give Weeden a chance". He had 15 games to prove that he had the ability to become a Starter. He never proved he was better than the backups.

Personally, I would like to see Cleveland try and pick up Alex Smith, or trade for Matt Flynn, or Kirk Cousins. Smith would come into camp as the starter, Flynn and Cousins could compete for the job. I say this, because let's be honest, who actually sees Colt McCoy getting a chance to prove himself with the Browns?

WR
Mo Mass isn't a "great" WR. But we don't have to pay him "great" WR money either if we try to sign him. What are the other options? Veteran WR? Why? We have Gordon, Little, Benjamin, and Cooper (who was pretty electric in his time on the field, but was then, injured)

Let's look at the Free Agents.
Mike Wallace - Does anyone actually think he's leaving Pitt?
Greg Jennings - Would need to be a #1 WR. I think Gordon and Little should have a chance to fight it out for #1. I know, if you didn't watch, or pay attention to the second half of the season, you might not know this, but Little learned how to catch along the way. Surprising, I know, but the guy was a much better target in the last 8 games.
Dwayne Bowe - Again. A "need to be #1" guy.
Wes Welker - I just don't know if he's going to leave NE. I think that deal gets done. Brady will hold the Kraft family hostage if it doesn't.
Amendola - Is this the type of "Vet WR" we're looking for? He's productive, when he's on the field, but he's ended up hurt in two straight seasons.
Hartline - Does anyone think he's going from Miami to Cleveland? Really?

So, we roll with the WR's we have, and sign Mo Mass to a cheap deal. He'll be 4th or 5th WR anyway.

The absence of talk about TE
It mentions that Watson is a Free Agent. But it doesn't speak to the void we have at Tight End. Look at the winning, PLayoff Caliber Teams. Baltimore has Pitta. While he isn't a household name, he's a good TE. SF has V. Davis. Uh... Yeah. He's good. NE has two of the best TE's in the league, even if Gronk is starting to seem like a Bull made out of China. Atlanta had the Ageless Wonder in Tony G. A Good, Pass Catching TE, is your QB's best friend (especially a young QB), and a great mismatch creator.

Why is there no talk about improving our TE Position?

The only thing that I think this article really got, 100% right? KEEP PHIL DAWSON.

From a fan's standpoint, the Browns need to address the following:

1.) Qb - Get someone in FA or Trade to compete or take job.
2.) LB - Our LB's are rough. We need to give D Jackson some help.
3.) TE - We need a TE. An above average pass catching TE.
4.) FB - This is the AFC North. You need a good FB. Owen Marecic, is not one of them.
5.) CB - We need someone opposite Haden
6.) S - We need safety help. We have 4 safeties on our roster right now, and they just aren't... "good." They're barely adequate. Ventrone has been mostly a ST player. He has a lot of heart, and I love him on ST, but I'm not sure he's an every down Safety. TJ Ward has the "hitting" potential, but he disappears in games sometimes. Hagg? I don't ever remember seeing him in a game. Usama Young, while good, just isn't enoough to pull the rest up to par.

Then, we need to figure out what Horton is planning on doing. he's wants to play a "multi front" "Hybrid" "attacking" Defense, and he wants to use a 3-4 set. We don't have the personnel for that. We don't have the LB's to do it. We don't have the linemen to do it. If we are really going to try and be an "Agressive" defense, we need to do something to shore them up.

Draft
If I were the Browns, I'd be looking at LB in the First Round. A lot of people are high on Jarvis Jones. If we are really going to play a multi front scheme, there is no other pick to be had here, unless we can smuggle Clowney out of SC. I'd probably spend most of my draft picks on the Defensive Side of the ball this season, since we are weakest there, and we aren't going after a QB. I would probably invite 100 TE's (I know you can't) who aren't drafted, and work them all out.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm drinking whatever koolaid the Seahawks have to offer at this point, because to get from where we were to where we are now in 3 years is pretty amazing stuff.

There is a lot of "outside the box" stuff happening on both offense and defense, the system is being adapted to the personnel (quite effectively), and there is competition at every position.

At first there was tremendous roster turnover. Some 250 roster moves in the first year. Bat-crap-crazy stuff. But out of that we found our starters, and kept churning the replacements until we started to get guys who weren't getting beat by other guys we brought in.

When Brandon Browner was serving his suspension, we were down to our 5th-string cornerback on that side, and our defense didn't slip. That's excellent depth.

There are still some holes - we need some interior pass rush in a bad way, although Red Bryant was suffering from a foot injury most of the season and could return to better form. But the Seahakws are the most bet-on team to win the Super Bowl for this coming season.

If I were the Browns, I would have a very long look at what the Seahawks have done. You already have Richardson, so you can focus on a strong ground game. Add the oppressive defense, and start winning games on the back of those strengths while you look for your QB.

Then get amazingly lucky and draft Russell Wilson.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am

I honestly, wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on a Guy in the 4th round for QB. I just don't want them to do it with their first 2 picks, since we don't have a second rounder this season. not that I'm complaining, because Gordon looks like he'll be a great receiver.

Oh, and SHOCKER! Earlier this week, The Indians made the Front Page of ESPN MLB, as a cover story.... That was weird.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General