Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 pm

The worst part is that the reason that wrestling got the boot was to make room for Golf!? Really?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:34 am

Klaudandus wrote:

I'd rather them drop ping pong

Or synchronized swimming.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:55 am

Ribbon twirling should get the boot too.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 am

How about dropping all but the 4 things people actually watch to begin with?
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 am

Teranoid wrote:How about dropping all but the 4 things people actually watch to begin with?

I watched a fair bit of the olympics this past summer. I've been surprised to hear about the wrestling, even though it's not something that I watched.

To me, the logical solution, would be to remove some of the overlap and redundancy. While I have great respect for the people who compete in gymnastics, the shear volume of gymnastic type games is astounding. I enjoyed watching the prop based floor exercises, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. Some of the ball routines were pretty interesting (I know, that sounds a little lame)

But to cut Wrestling seems silly.

The Olympics should be about achieving the pinnacle of your sport. To that end, I don't understand why they want to include Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, or Soccer.

Each of these Sports have a dedicated network of professional sporting leagues across the globe. Achieving the "pinnacle" of your sport has little to do with the Olympic Games. While adding them to the olympics is indeed a "badge of honor", it is by no means the pinnacle of the sport.

For me, There is no "pinnacle of sport" for "real" wrestling, outside of the Olympics. that could be a culture thing, or a personal thing, but I just don't see the WWE, or Japanese Wrestling, or TNA as even the same discipline as Olympic Wrestling.
Shoju

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 am

Shoju wrote:The Olympics should be about achieving the pinnacle of your sport. To that end, I don't understand why they want to include Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, or Soccer.

But even then, the four latter sports don't even send in their best players to the Olympics more often than not.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 am

Fenrìr wrote:
Shoju wrote:The Olympics should be about achieving the pinnacle of your sport. To that end, I don't understand why they want to include Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, or Soccer.

But even then, the four latter sports don't even send in their best players to the Olympics more often than not.

Another reason that they shouldn't be Olympic Competitions.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 am

Shoju wrote:
Teranoid wrote:How about dropping all but the 4 things people actually watch to begin with?

I watched a fair bit of the olympics this past summer. I've been surprised to hear about the wrestling, even though it's not something that I watched.

To add to this, I'm a wrestling fan. I always try to watch a few rounds of it at the Olympics but this last year that was really impossible because they only televised it at like three in the morning. I was mostly only able to catch the American Wrestling highlights.

Obviously though the overall popularity of wrestling as a spectator sport isn't all that high, but you make some excellent points as to why it's a better fit than some other sports for the Olympics.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 am

NBC's mobile app was pretty good at letting you watch whatever you wanted to watch.

I'm actually surprised Basketball wasn't cut with how dominate the US mens and womens teams have been, on the other hand the international star power of the NBA is fairly high so I'm sure it is good for revenue.

Also, from what I understand, you wouldn't be just dropping the lesser gymnastic events but pretty much all gymnastic events.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

Flex wrote:Also, from what I understand, you wouldn't be just dropping the lesser gymnastic events but pretty much all gymnastic events.

Which really doesn't make sense.
Why they feel the need to make it an "all or nothing" type thing, is baffling.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 pm

I think the Olympics should be about personal achievement, so i would toss out all team sports.

And yes, I say that as a rabid rugby fan who is delighted that Rugby Sevens will be in the next Olympics. If it's going to have team sports anyway, might as well have entertaining ones.

But yeah, kick out all team sports and get back to individual competition.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Koatanga wrote:I think the Olympics should be about personal achievement, so i would toss out all team sports.

And yes, I say that as a rabid rugby fan who is delighted that Rugby Sevens will be in the next Olympics. If it's going to have team sports anyway, might as well have entertaining ones.

But yeah, kick out all team sports and get back to individual competition.

So no track and swimming relay events? No team pursuit?!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

What about relays in track and field or swimming? That's a "team" sport. Seems silly to go the whole individual route.

How the voting IOC subcommittee considers trampoline, modern pentathlon (which really isn't modern by the way), rhythmic gymnastics, and horse jumping more fitting than wrestling to reflect the Olympic idea is beyond me.

Rulon Gardner beating Karelin, Karelin's 6-year streak without giving up a point, the Schultz brothers winning gold in LA, and Blatnick beating lymphoma, an Olympic lockout and then finally winning gold in '84.

Sorry, when you have moments like that, your sport should be grandfathered in for eternity at the Olympics.
Cogglamp

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Trampoline and Rhythmic Gymnastics are disciplines of the larger Gymnastics sport, horse jumping is part of Equestrian. The way it works is the Sport gets the spot, then they have various disciplines of the sport and then events for each discipline. So cutting those two disciplines doesn't free up the larger sport spot.

Modern Pentathlon on the other hand is its own sport that could have been cut instead.
Flex

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Fenrìr wrote:

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Basketball - Colangelo and Dr. K put together their team that they thought would mesh together and win with Spain and Argentina sending their best players.

Soccer - Tell that to any Mexico fan and you'll get punched in the face. Just because Messi, Rooney, and other top tier names weren't there doesn't mean countries are sending below-grade teams. Matching talent with teamwork is a difficult balance to master.

Also, do you really think Brazil didn't care about losing the gold medal match?

Softball - This really was their pinnacle until it was taken away with the always US sending their best as well as Australia and Japan.

Baseball - I'll grant you this one. Though Cuba would probably win regardless if every country sent their best.
Cogglamp

PreviousNext

Return to General