Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Yes. Just saying that it confirms that it was getting away with it on a technicality.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Yeah, I was gonna say that as far as I recall from the huge Braun brouhaha several months ago, the only one that defended Braun was Shoju =P

Braun was on a short list of players that I would say "no way!" about. But after this? I just... I can't honestly look at a single ballplayer and say "Yeah, I think they're clean".

When I first heard his explanation, I was like "oh, well that makes sense." but then I was reading another article, and it's just... so unbelievable. What did you go to him for? What expertise? Whatever. Bunch of cheats.

You giving up on the NFL as well? Or does it not matter then?

Any pro sport may have cheaters now, it has to be taken as a given. The question is, is the testing good enough that fans know that it's kept under control?

While the old school "purity" of baseball was nice, that notion really went out the window with the modern free agent contracts and owners like Loria in FL that don't give a damn about winning.

As for your son, anyone cheating in the minors or college will likely get caught, unless they have a sugar daddy.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 pm

I like reading old stories about baseball players you were basically taking meth to get up for the game.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Flex wrote:I like reading old stories about baseball players you were basically taking meth to get up for the game.

Yeah, anything past the 50's or early 60's can't really be counted as clean, unless those greenies that trainers put out in dishes in the late 60s and 70's were really M&Ms.

halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

For some reason, and I know this is a double standard, I just don't care as much about PED'S in football. Maybe because Football has always been violent and bloody? Maybe because we haven't had someone tear the fabric of the game the way that Canseco did with baseball? Maybe because no one "Super Famous" has been suspended for testing positive? Maybe, because my children have no desire to play football.

As for young kids, especially in High School, There is NO year round testing. They are conditioning now, and there isn't even random testing. Random Testing doesn't being for another 60 ish days. And then it only runs until your team is done in the tournaments. Even then, it isn't a guarantee to be tested even once in a season, since it's run by conferences, not local schools here.

You could juice from August to March, while working in the off season, and it would never be an issue here. Now, keeping that all going during the season would be tough, i don't know the regimens, but 8 months out of the year, there is no accountability, no questions, no anything.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

But the notion of baseball being truly clean vanished a long time ago.

So it's ok for the football "warriors" to juice?

This reminds me of all the old farts that still complain about post strike baseball, who supported the owners with no idea of the pockets that the owners were lining. Gimme a break.

halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 pm

halabar wrote:But the notion of baseball being truly clean vanished a long time ago.

So it's ok for the football "warriors" to juice?

This reminds me of all the old farts that still complain about post strike baseball, who supported the owners with no idea of the pockets that the owners were lining. Gimme a break.

I admitted that it's a double standard. You just don't hear as much about it. Maybe it's the way the league handles it business. You get suspended for PED's, and that's all that's said. It's not just me. Or maybe, It's Because we as a culture just don't care.

To be honest? I don't really want to listen to more stories about PED's. I'm burnt out. I don't care. I'm nauseated by it. I didn't watch ESPN for almost 10 days while the Lance Armstrong interview was going. I didn't want to listen anymore.

I only care about PED"s enough to try and keep my kids away from them. While my kids LOVE Sports, none of them are on their way to careers that would be defined as "athlete". I don't care about them it as much anymore. I've already said, let the ones who are associated with it in the hall, and let the biography and history of the game sort it out when it comes to the MLB.

The Medias coverage of PED's has been exhausting. I only cared to research this new story when Braun's name came up. And only because I had been a "believer" of his story.
Shoju

Postby Paxen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:31 pm

We don't care about football because the NFL is far, far better at handling the media angle. As long as there's no direct evidence that there's widespread cheating, fans turn a blind eye to it. And the NFL knows that.

Given that the NFL is a for-profit corporation, with no external oversight (except lawmakers who have tons of other things to worry about), who really has an interest in digging for dirty secrets? A single reporter? See how well that worked out for David Walsh when he took on Lance Armstrong.
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

On other MLB News

Brandon Webb to retire, and Chris Carpenter might follow suit, due to injuries.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm

And an extra twist in the Biogenesis thing
Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta is named in the records of Tony Bosch, the director of the Biogenesis wellness clinic in Coral Gables, Fla., that is the target of an MLB investigation into performance-enhancing drugs, according to sources familiar with the records.

Peralta brings to 12 the number of baseball players connected to Bosch's notes, and adds to one of the two threads that have emerged in the Biogenesis case: Peralta is the fifth client of the ACES agency of Seth and Sam Levinson and with an association with Juan Nunez, a former runner for the agency, to be connected to clinic records.

Previous ACES clients named in reports are Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero and Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera. Nunez was banned by baseball after he was tied to Cabrera's attempt to stage a web site selling a fake PED.

Peralta does not appear to be directly tied to PEDs in the records, as was the case with Montero. The Levinsons referred comment to an attorney for Peralta, Barry Boss, who released this statement on behalf of Peralta: "I have never used performance enhancing drugs. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is lying."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... z2KAKhk1tY
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:05 pm

http://college-football.si.com/2013/02/ ... &eref=sihp

Poor kid.. So you are about to start your college career, but your mamma doesn't like your school choice, so she runs off with your signing papers. Wow. He's gonna be mocked more than Teo if he winds up going to his mama's choice of school.

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Klaudandus wrote:On other MLB News

Brandon Webb to retire, and Chris Carpenter might follow suit, due to injuries.

Sad about Carpenter. A lotta bad breaks for him.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:14 pm

halabar wrote:http://college-football.si.com/2013/02/06/alex-collins-wants-to-play-for-arkansas-his-mom-apparently-does-not-concur/?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp

Poor kid.. So you are about to start your college career, but your mamma doesn't like your school choice, so she runs off with your signing papers. Wow. He's gonna be mocked more than Teo if he winds up going to his mama's choice of school.

I love the tweets about him not being able to outrun his mom/his mom being Bo Jackson
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 am

This is the reason why the NCAA, and colleges in general drive me nuts. You are 18. You are an adult. Everything else in your life is "Big Boy" Time. But when it comes to going to college, you are still just a kid. You have to claim your parents income, your parents have to sign Contracts with Colleges for you (Not just NCAA, my parents had to sign a contract when I went to college for my Performance Agreement)
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

halabar wrote:http://college-football.si.com/2013/02/06/alex-collins-wants-to-play-for-arkansas-his-mom-apparently-does-not-concur/?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp

Things just got weirder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General