All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:he doesn't get any flak about it but Tebow does?

He gets tons of flack from it in the DC radio market.The religious but non-Born Again think it is over the top with the common expression being "God doesn't care about football". For me hearing how Born Again people feel about Jesus Lewis' talk is pretty much exactly the same.

Don't have access to the DC Market radio shows. Not really interesting in the DC radio shows, considering I hate both the skins and the nationals...

Now, to be honest, Tebow's overt expression of religiousness kinda rubs me the wrong way at times, but nowhere near as bad as Lewis...

That's a bit harsh on Tebow, since he's using a good part of his football money towards building an orphanage in the phillipines, if I remember correctly.

You also seem to mock Christians thanking God for anything?

Tebow has put his money and actions forward. I have yet to see Lewis do the same.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm

I know its Tebow on the pic, and yet it's not a jab at him... in fact, I often give him a free pass, which you can tell as I often say good things about Tebow on this thread -- it's actually more of a knock on Lewis... he comes off as fake

That was actually the real purpose of the pic.

If my google-fu had found a Ray Lewis version of that pic, thanking god for getting scott-free from murder and for winning two superbowls, I'd have used that instead.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I know its Tebow on the pic, and yet it's not a jab at him... in fact, I often give him a free pass, which you can tell as I often say good things about Tebow on this thread -- it's actually more of a knock on Lewis... he comes off as fake

That was actually the real purpose of the pic.

Agree on Lewis, and many of the other touchdown thankers that are stopped for duis and whatnot in the offseason, and have posses the size of Cleveland.

halabar

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Klaudandus wrote:If my google-fu had found a Ray Lewis version of that pic, thanking god for getting scott-free from murder and for winning two superbowls, I'd have used that instead.

Lewis was the only person involved in that to get any sort of punishment.

The two people in his entourage that were charged were acquitted because everyone's story was different.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... &eref=sihp

Braun linked to the same clinic A-Roid was using.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130205/ryan-braun-florida-clinic-records-peds.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Braun and his lawyers both came out and said that this guy was key in the defense he presented on taintedness.

Curious, does that make it "better" for braun, or worse? I mean. It's one thing to be a cheat, but if you use a cheat to get you out of being busted, what does that say?
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 am

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130205/ryan-braun-florida-clinic-records-peds.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Braun and his lawyers both came out and said that this guy was key in the defense he presented on taintedness.

Curious, does that make it "better" for braun, or worse? I mean. It's one thing to be a cheat, but if you use a cheat to get you out of being busted, what does that say?

Yep. It's rather damning to use a cheat to get off.

But here's what people are missing. Braun's admission of using that guy validates the records that the newspaper got. Which means MLB has more evidence that the records are legit. Which means much more trouble for the others named.

I think we are in for another summer of steroids.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 am

If you accept Braun's explanation, when he was in his darkest hour -- fighting MLB on a positive drug test -- to gather expertise he went to someone who not only is not a doctor and not licensed to practice medicine, not considered to have expertise in chain of custody issues, but who also had been connected by MLB and the DEA, and known to the players association, to the 2009 bust of Manny Ramirez; it was Bosch's father, Dr. Pedro Bosch, who wrote a prescription for a banned substance to Ramirez.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... z2K92oO1hl
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 am

Did anyone really think Braun was clean after the initial suspension was overturned?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

Flex wrote:Did anyone really think Braun was clean after the initial suspension was overturned?

I was holding a slim chance of "hope" that it really was something stupid, and not that he was dirty. It's part of me trying to "reclaim" my belief in the sport of baseball. But, this killed any chance of the sport being clean in my eyes for a very long time.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah, I was gonna say that as far as I recall from the huge Braun brouhaha several months ago, the only one that defended Braun was Shoju =P

Although it was more like a Devil's Advocate thing, dealing with the chain of custody, and not actually defending Braun per se.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

Klaudandus wrote:Yeah, I was gonna say that as far as I recall from the huge Braun brouhaha several months ago, the only one that defended Braun was Shoju =P

Braun was on a short list of players that I would say "no way!" about. But after this? I just... I can't honestly look at a single ballplayer and say "Yeah, I think they're clean".

When I first heard his explanation, I was like "oh, well that makes sense." but then I was reading another article, and it's just... so unbelievable. What did you go to him for? What expertise? Whatever. Bunch of cheats.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am

Well, like I said, if I recall correctly, the crux of your argument was the chain of custody, the personnel in charge of taking the sample, and the manner it is collected.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Colin Cowherd and Curt Schilling discuss Braun, A-Rod and Biogenesis or whatever it was called
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8921054&s=espn
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Well, like I said, if I recall correctly, the crux of your argument was the chain of custody, the personnel in charge of taking the sample, and the manner it is collected.

Which, I still stand by being a very serious thing. Chain of Custody is the integrity of the system, but I'm not going to get back into that again.

But this? Ugh. This is ridiculous. I just can't believe that this is someone he went to for help on chain of custody. This guy has no expertise in chain of custody, and is little more than a pill peddler.

It's hard to be a realistic sports fan right now, and tell your kids that drugs are bad. How do you explain to a 16 year old gunning for a starting varsity CF spot that doing it "clean" is the right way, when there is so much evidence piling up that shows the best and brightest stars in the game have been anything but clean for longer than the kid has been alive?

How does his coach tell his team that? I hate using the "Think of the kids!" type of lines, but man... This is tough. My son wants to be the Starting CF on Varsity this year. He's got the speed, but he's lacking in arm strength a little, and he could use some more pop at the plate.

If it wasn't for his mother, I'd be really worried about him taking PED's to gain that edge. Thankfully, her junkie lifestyle for the better part of 6 years has made him phobic to take too much Nyquil, let alone anything else. I guess the old adage is true "You're never truly worthless, you can always be used as a bad example"
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General