Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Nooska » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 pm

@Torquemada; yeah thats the one I was referring to.

As a very rough outline, I'll agree to the lables for the red, green and purple blocks you've written up Kysen, with of course the distance from each being relative and smaller increments towards the lines being more interesting than larger increments further from the lines. (I jsut wonder why I get placed so relatively high on up/down axis, unless its the "anti business" ideas (like regulation for businesses in case of environmental standards etc).

Also, we argue so much because we are pretty close (relatively speaking) on the major things, its the minutiae we get divided on, and because its in all fairness minor issues (ideologywise) its all the more frustrating that X or Y won't just do things my way - if I were to venture a guess.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby bldavis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm

thats true, if we were farther apart on the major things, we wouldnt even discuss it i bet....oh we would be like congress!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Paxen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Nooska wrote:(I jsut wonder why I get placed so relatively high on up/down axis, unless its the "anti business" ideas (like regulation for businesses in case of environmental standards etc).

I doubt it's that. I can't remember exactly what I answered, but I probably tripped every "anti-business" detector they have. I'd guess that that question pulls you to the left, not upwards.

I just retook it, and there are a lot of questions about morality, sex and religion. Those are the ones that pull me towards libertarian.

I suggest "Social Conservative" for the blue region - it looks like it places everybody who wants freedom for corporations and strict moral obligations for everybody else in that region.
Paxen

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Flex wrote:
pork barrel logrolling to their home districts

One good thing about Pork Barrel politics is that it employees people to build the pork barrel project.

But at significant cost.  If it's pork barrel it's either not building infrastructure or at least not infrastructure that will be reasonably utilized.  The result is a net loss of jobs, overall.  The money for that project is taken from the people or it's borrowed, taking money causes contraction, borrowing money causes interest payments, dramatically increasing the cost and causing contraction.

Pork barrell spending is useful really as a tool to prop up a politician in a district that needs the help.  Those folks feel the small positive impact and cheerfully vote for their incumbent but the costs are ultimately felt nationwide.

Brekkie, along with some of Torque's comments, I'd add that everything isn't either or.  It's not a difference between a federally mandated retirement program vs nothing, or welfare programs vs the poor dieing in the streets.  There are degrees to the level of gov't involvement and degrees to the portions that can be privatized.  Another big thing is that the level (local/state/fed) of government is very important.  Right now, we tend to throw everything at the federal level, often with poor results.  On top of our free market which allows money to flow freely to government, federalizing everything creates clear incentive for abuse and as we concentrate power at the level the abuse becomes more frequent and more painful.  It also degrades accountability significantly making it much more easy to hide and more difficult to root out.

I don't think defense spending is considered sacrosanct among fiscal conservatives, it's certainly not among libertarians.  A fair portion of that group is borderline isolationist. 

Social security has reached a point where folks retiring today are likely to have paid more in than they will get out.  For the rich, it's long been that way, but now it's that way for the average joe, and it's only getting worse, and that model assumes it will remain solvent, which we know it will not without significant changes, either increases in the payroll tax, further reductions in payouts, or an increase in retirement age.  We are likely to see all of the above given our ages.  It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, an even decently designed system.  That doesn't mean we should necessarily throw it out, or do away with the concept, but certainly there's room for debate on how produce a solvent retirement system that benefits the people beyond a couple of generations.  

We spend billions on a farm bill that is downright harmful.  It's harmful to the environment, it's harmful to our public health, who knows what the final dollar cost is.  It incentivizes the worst practices and the worst crops, but it certainly benefited certain politicians in those areas.  Some of our energy policy is the same thing and intertwined. 

We don't really need a federal dept. of education, aside maybe from managing schools on military bases and territories.  Our state and local government's can do a much better job and they are much more agile and accountable.  Instead of hiring several administrators whose sole job is to figure out how to apply for federal grants and comply with federal mandates, maybe they can invest in their kids/faculty.

I could go on but I'm running out of time.  In short, I'm just getting worn out of having my position characterized incorrectly and then dismissed.  I don't want poor people nor minorities to suffer.  I don't want anarchy or the abolition of basic government services. I want a reduction in corruption, more effective use of tax payer dollars, and more accountability.  All things that I think are inevitible weaknesses of having a handful of people having such power over 300,000,000 others.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Paxen wrote:
Nooska wrote:(I jsut wonder why I get placed so relatively high on up/down axis, unless its the "anti business" ideas (like regulation for businesses in case of environmental standards etc).

I doubt it's that. I can't remember exactly what I answered, but I probably tripped every "anti-business" detector they have. I'd guess that that question pulls you to the left, not upwards.

I just retook it, and there are a lot of questions about morality, sex and religion. Those are the ones that pull me towards libertarian.

I suggest "Social Conservative" for the blue region - it looks like it places everybody who wants freedom for corporations and strict moral obligations for everybody else in that region.

Thats what I would expect too, "anti-business" pulling you left. On the morality, sex and religion, they are whats pulling me as far down as I am, I am sure - the only question which I think could be pulling me up is that I don't "strongly disagree" with the "[wives/women] can have a career, but their first duty is to be homemakers" - and thats because the question trips me up as there is no male counterpart, and I think that the "duty" of everyone is to take care of themselves, their spouse and their children first (i.e. if the question was gender neutral or there was a male counterpart I would agree with it/both of them).

Heh... Obama is a social conservative by that standard btw - I think we need another label, as not only is both Obama and Romney squarely in the blue, so is almost all governments in europe, even the center/left ones - also "social conservative" is probably more a US thing than a european thing.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Aubade » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:37 am

Grats on 100 pages of politics! Woo
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Sagara » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

Meanwhile, in Belgium, Nationalist leader equates homosexuality to a "philosophical or political conviction or support for a trade union or a sports club".

A bit weird - despite all my annoyance at the man, he's a brilliant politician, so that kind of faux pas is surprising.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Dantriges » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 am

Seems more like he chose his words badly.

So you are not allowed to wear clothing that indicates your sexuality as your customers at the public office don´t need to know that. It has nothing to do with your actual job as a civil servant, providing services to the public. So if you do, you turn your sexuality into a political, philosophical etc. statement.

And well if gays want to be treated like everyone else perhaps it´s a good idea not to flaunt your sexuality in public. Hetero people don´t run around with T-shirts like "I have an active sexlife" "Looking for partner" or "One Night Stand Man" in the office either. Or BDSM people with "I spank my wife/husband and she/he likes it."

And well he seems to want the city appear as neutral or rather "We don´t care, you are a citizen with equal rights."

Or could be another reason. He said that he fights for equal rights for gays and he is in a public office. Could be that he doesn´t want to that people think he uses his position as a mayor to show his agenda via city services. Would appear like he uses public resources/places for his politics.

And well we slowly aproach the point I hope, that gender, sexuality etc aren´t such a big issue anymore at least in some countries. So why should you be allowed to make statements about your sexuality if it´s not a big deal anymore or at least it shouldn´t be. You don´t need to tell everyone coming to your counter what you do in your bedroom. My reaction would be "So you are into same sex relationships, so what, I want whatever I came for."

But wel, I am not a belgian, I could be mistaken and it is a big issue in your country, but still seems to me, a civil service sounter is not a good battleground to pick this fight. Especially if it can damage a pro gay activist, appearing as someone who abuses public resources to further his agenda. Or is his pro gay statement a lie?
Dantriges

Postby Sagara » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 am

Well, thing is, homosexuality is basically a non-issue. Our current Prime Minister is openly gay, and actually hasn't said a word about it in a decade or so. Where Bart's party is concerned, N-VA is not anti-gay. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find an anti-gay party in Belgium.

And that's the wierd thing - it's a non-issue that suddenly becomes an issue for some reason no-one can fathom. As you said, if it's so unimportant, why bother comment on, of all things, *rainbow* T-shirts alongside the Muslim veil and nationalistic slogans? Especially in a country and a city where religious and nationalistic frictions are pretty high.

Sounds a lot like a big misstep. Not that I'll be crying rivers for him, as his base is built on the concept that I'm some kind of parasite that comes to eat at *his* dinner plate.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/02/michigan-tea-partier-charter-schools-ethnically-challenged-families
Kids aren't going to charter schools if they're "A" students. They go to charter schools because they're failing students and, by and large, the charter schools have a higher percentage of poor families, ethnically challenged families…

I guess.... your ethnicity handicap is inversely proportional to the melanin in your skin...

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

"Kids aren't going to charter schools if they're "A" students. They go to charter schools because they're failing students and, by and large, the charter schools have a higher percentage of poor families, ethnically challenged families…"

Really? My kids go to a charter school. I wouldn't say any of them are/were "failing students". In fact, I'd say that they are pretty smart. You know, I don't know too many kids who are moved from 1st to 2nd grade after less than 9 weeks, or that are given the chance to attend higher grade levels towards the end of the year to keep them stimulated because they are failing.

They keep opening their mouths and showing the massive disconnect that they have with the rest of society.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 am

Was that aimed at me or at him?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am

Him, not you.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

Klaudandus wrote:Was that aimed at me or at him?

You should know me better than to have to question that.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

Shoju wrote:

Point there. its just that you quoted me, then you quoted the quote, which I had quoted already in my first post.... kinda got confused, plus every now and then you get hit with friendly fire =P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:

Point there. its just that you quoted me, then you quoted the quote, which I had quoted already in my first post.... kinda got confused, plus every now and then you get hit with friendly fire =P

I knew that it was a ways back, so I wanted to make sure I referenced, so I quoted your post.

Then I quoted what I was talking about.

I'm trying to be a nice guy and not be such a cantankerous pain in the ass.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum