Remove Advertisements

[10H] Sha of Fear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10H] Sha of Fear

Postby Donatist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 am

Hi, New poster here

Have a question about tanking the dread thrashes. Do most guilds have one tank take all the naked afraid debuffs and the other take the dread thrashes? Last night we got him to about 30% before shit hit the fan but our warrior kept getting one shot by dread thrashes. 5 180k (roughly) hits. As a pally i never seem to die to it even with just ShoTR tho i usually can afford to pop DI or AD.
Donatist

Postby Darielle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

5x 180 through Shield Block sounds unlikely, so was Shield Block just down for that or did he mismanage charges?

Should be using externals on top of AM anyway when they're available.
Darielle

Postby Treck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

If you are comparing paladins vs warriors, Paladins are surely more reliable to survive with their own personal active mitigation.
On my paladin I can actually survive most dread thrashes completely without any other CD than Shield of the righteous.
A normal Thrash is a joke, so never waste CDs on that (unless you get in a tight spot and manage to find yourself without Holy power, this does happen quite ofthen due to him casting other shit as well)
A dread Thrash only comes every 40sec, not even that ofthen, you will easily have CDs for all of them, just a simple Divine Protection will make sure you survive the dread thrash, then you have shieldwall and Ardent Defender to rotate with.

As for warrior, the deal is a little bit different, but in short, you have the same abilities.
You have demoshout/Laststand/shieldwall, and rotate just like Divineprot/Ardentdefender/Guardian.
And then you have shieldblock instead of Shield of the righteous.
The differance here tho, is that you have Shieldbarrier as well.
You should be gathering 120 energy for every dread thrash (I never bother more than shieldblock for normal thrashes), The thing with shield barrier is that if you manage to keep the shield up past the first hit, all remaining shields dupes on every single other attack, along with the blocks ofcourse.
This technically works for paladins as well, but you dont have Sacred shield as reliably, and Shield barrier reaches ridiculous numbers, making it very reliable to atleast shave off a bit on the other hits.

Im not 100% sure how this actually works, but It for sure does dupe at times.
Id guess tbh a DK taunting right before the thrash would take 0 damage since a fully stacked blood shield would reach +600k, meaning it absorbs the first attack, and then there is for sure 300k shields that dupes on all the other attacks, altho we dont run with a warrior, maybe it works a little bit different for different shield, but you can reliably see the effects as a warrior.

Personally, I definately prefer paladin taking care of the dread thrashes, shield of the righteous makes normal thrashes harmless, and dread thrashes pretty weak, but for safety you want to use a normal CD as well in case you dont avoid a single attack, also the boss hits you so slow that if the healers cant manage to heal you up between, there are other issues.
As a warrior, you either took no damage, or you took 80% of your hp from a dread thrash, so its just not as smooth.
Treck

Postby Donatist » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am

Last night was definitely better. He was able to just taunt the debuff most of the time and I would just Shotr with DP or Goak it. You are absolutely right in that his dread thrash timing get annoying because sometimes you put Shotr up and he decides to submerge>waterspout>naked then dread thrash auto and sometimes he will do the dread thrash melee before all three of those on the CD list.

Yea i looked through the warriors log and he had nothing up for the dread thrash so he took the full 900k :/ Shouldn't normally happen though.

Thanks for responding too!
Donatist

Postby iAvatar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 pm

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/dreadspray_vr - get this addon for dodging Dread Spray on the platforms in p1. We tried ShaofFearAssist and tried multiple settings but people kept getting it/the way the addon provides info about the Dread Spray was less helpful.

Any tips for getting positions set in p2? Take a few wipes to look around and determine the "middle" of the room?

How are the orb passers doing their job? Mouse over macros on raid frames? Target specific macros? Target focus macros? Do you need a stopcasting command at the start of the macro to ensure the orb is passed asap?
Avátar of <Last Attempt> Thaurissan
6/6 H MSV | 6/6 H HoF | 4/4 H TEOS
iAvatar

Postby timoseewho » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm

iAvatar wrote:http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/dreadspray_vr - get this addon for dodging Dread Spray on the platforms in p1. We tried ShaofFearAssist and tried multiple settings but people kept getting it/the way the addon provides info about the Dread Spray was less helpful.

Any tips for getting positions set in p2? Take a few wipes to look around and determine the "middle" of the room?

How are the orb passers doing their job? Mouse over macros on raid frames? Target specific macros? Target focus macros? Do you need a stopcasting command at the start of the macro to ensure the orb is passed asap?

As you get ported to the expanse, take a glance at the minimap, you'll notice a huge circle, and the middle of the circle is pretty much the converge spot. We've noticed as we put attempts in that finding that EXACT spot isn't as important as just being close to it and having a 3rd player ready to take the ball to group the adds even further. This is because huddle handling (how fast players clear it) and when it comes out (whether huddle first or spout first) can really screw with how well the adds converge and you should always have a player ready to group up the adds. We assign our healers the task of throwing the ball back and forth but I step in when I feel that the adds are lagging behind. We continue to clear huddles with the ball all the way until the end (we kill it on the first 7-add spawn).

The macro I use is (and ya you do need to stop your cast):
/stopcasting
/target mouseover
/click ExtraActionButton1
/targetlasttarget
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 10-man, SoO-14/14H, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Newsom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 am

timoseewho wrote:I haven't really done the math, but from most videos on 10-man, the ball was passed to clear the huddles all the way up to the 7-add wave. Is that what most of you guys are doing? We've only gotten to the 4/5-add, and still passing to clear huddles.

Yes. You generally want your two healers passing the ball to each other so that at least one of them are immune to Huddles when they go out. During Huddle you should pass it around to everyone who has the debuff to "dispel" it, prioritizing healers if any. We also use a hunter as a back up for the two healers in case they both have adds on them at the same time.

The two healers and the hunter stand in a triangle formation (healer left and right to the boss as you are facing it, and the hunter behind the boss). Make sure you slow the adds to minimize the amount of throwing needed since the raid will take damage each time you throw the ball. Chillblains works great, so does whatever the warlocks use.

On 10 you should be able to kill the boss before the adds get out of hand - we were never even close to seing the later part where the adds stop following the light on our first kill.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Donatist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 am

We just killed this last week and the way we dealt with the adds is similar to whats been said. However we made a triangle with markers and kept the boss in the middle of the triangle so that the healers never had to reposition except to dodge submerge. We also used a mage for the 3rd so that he could also blink away.

One thing that might be helpful to note for add dps is that you should aim to kill them after he submerges before he comes back up. If you have to pass the ball when the adds spawn you waste time because they come in slower. We managed to kill it at the first set of 7 adds but we had wipes at 8 adds though i dont think you really ever should get to 8 adds before the boss dies now having killed it.
Donatist

Postby Newsom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Donatist wrote:One thing that might be helpful to note for add dps is that you should aim to kill them after he submerges before he comes back up. If you have to pass the ball when the adds spawn you waste time because they come in slower. We managed to kill it at the first set of 7 adds but we had wipes at 8 adds though i dont think you really ever should get to 8 adds before the boss dies now having killed it.

This is a very good point. It also helps the tanks to have something to hit for their active mitigation during submerges - especially useful when you get those tricky Dread Thrashes during a submerge. We basically ignore the adds completely apart from dots until we have more than 4 of them.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Mokoshne » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

How does a Guardian Druid stack up to a paladin or warrior tank for tanking in phase 2, surviving the normal thrash & dread thrashes etc

Is it possible to have 1 tank take all the naked & afraid debuffs and the other take the dread thrashes?
Mokoshne

Postby Darielle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Guardians are hilariously powerful because of how Tooth and Claw and SD interact on top increased armour/passive mitigation.
Darielle

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)