Remove Advertisements

patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 am

Sagara wrote:Don't know- I haven't seen tsulong go beyond his third night phase in LFR (and if I remember right, he enrages after the third Day phase instead of the second on LFR)

He enrages but it didn't seem to do anything when this gem happened

I lost count how many times he went between day and night.
Teranoid

Postby Sagara » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

oldboyz wrote:if Blizz want to make more sexy the pure avoidance stats and wroc havoc our current tanking priority :
successfull parry --> 5 sec strengh buff
successfull dodge --> 10sec haste bonus
successfull dodge/parry/block --> "advantage bonus" (+hit +expertise)
:idea:

PS.
promise of several night figuring how to modelize&optimise it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We discussed that a bit a few pages before, and Theck had that very nice idea of linking avoidance to HoPo generation, like by activating Grand Crusader. The plus is that we stay inside the existing model without adding extra mechanics left and right.

Teranoid wrote:
Sagara wrote:Don't know- I haven't seen tsulong go beyond his third night phase in LFR (and if I remember right, he enrages after the third Day phase instead of the second on LFR)

He enrages but it didn't seem to do anything when this gem happened

I lost count how many times he went between day and night.

Wait. Wut? That passed by stupid, left depressing in the dust, and didn't bother to slow at pathetic...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

Quite often on LFR Tsulong, the health bar goes backwards on day phase and progress is only made in night, so I can imagine that happening easily with a low dps group. Haven't seen it go more than 3 day phases myself, though.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Continually lowering the bar, especially when they lack a platform to actually help players improve.
Ugh.

It's also going to be fun if/when premades start rolling around wiping people for 10 stacks to parse on LFR meters.
Darielle

Postby Xfighter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Darielle wrote:Continually lowering the bar, especially when they lack a platform to actually help players improve.
Ugh.

It's also going to be fun if/when premades start rolling around wiping people for 10 stacks to parse on LFR meters.

This was my first thought when I read it yesterday.

Should still be a small amount who go and do that though.
Xfighter

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm

It's more frightening when you consider their implied hint that they could play with difficulty a bit and possibly avoid nerfing LFR encounters. Ranking is niche enough that it shouldn't be a big deal, people intentionally using it is worse.

Week 1:
"Guys we're going to wipe 10 times on Will because Will is too hard without 10 stacks".
"Hurry up and die on Garalon, we can't do this with less than 5 stacks".

Honestly, LFR just needs to be reworked and repurposed to be some kind of Tutorial-esque mode instead.
Darielle

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Sagara wrote:We discussed that a bit a few pages before, and Theck had that very nice idea of linking avoidance to HoPo generation, like by activating Grand Crusader. The plus is that we stay inside the existing model without adding extra mechanics left and right.

Sorry if I missed the discussion, but wouldn't GrCr proc on avoid lead to the degenerate case where your SHotR uptime scales with the number of mobs you're tanking? Unless it had a separate ICD to prevent that...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm

That was brought up and the implementation of using an ICD was suggested.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Proccing Grand Crusader would automatically cap at the respective gcd even when fighting infinite mobs. An ICD would only be if that was "too much", and tbh it probably would slip under the radar.
Darielle

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Darielle wrote:Proccing Grand Crusader would automatically cap at the respective gcd even when fighting infinite mobs. An ICD would only be if that was "too much", and tbh it probably would slip under the radar.

I don't think they want us having 100% ShotR uptime though. So the GCD would be too much.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:31 pm

It would take almost a 1 sec gcd to actually achieve that (counting HA's "bank"), and that's if the hits incoming are staggered enough that you will get a proc in between every gcd exactly (aka swings from mobs with a 1.5 sec swing timer, and on average parry being high enough to guarantee a proc). I don't think they'd even hypothetically be concerned about that popping up in actual raids, and if they were they would just do what they did with SD and SB to prevent 100% coverage; give it a charge system that refreshes every 4.5 seconds or whatever, so you could it back to back and use procs back to back, and use the same amount of HP, just not get 100% uptime on ShoR.
Darielle

Postby Fenris » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

We are considering some other buffs to Ret still. We don't know yet if we will do any or all of these (they are emphatically not promises) but the kind of thing we are considering:

- Glyph of Blessed Life -- no longer requires Seal of Insight. You can have any Seal or none active, which puts the glyph in Ret's hands.
- Glyph of Templar's Verdict -- damage reduction triggered by Exorcism (or both) instead. That way you aren't choosing TV over a heal.
- Light's Hammer -- also snares targets it damages while in range. This one potentially buffs Holy too, but we're not sure that many Holy paladins would give up Prism to take it.

Light's hammer one might have pve uses for us

Maybe

Sometimes

I guess :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Lots of uses actually, although most guilds have probably adjusted enough by now to ensure they have the snares available for the fights that need them.
Darielle

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm

I was thinking something... would you guys be ok if Sanctity of Battle was removed, but instead SotR lasts longer even if its weaker?

It seems the value of Haste is because we want to hit SotR as fast as possible because its buff is really short.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I was thinking something... would you guys be ok if Sanctity of Battle was removed, but instead SotR lasts longer even if its weaker?

It seems the value of Haste is because we want to hit SotR as fast as possible because its buff is really short.

Funny you should mention that, as it's one example I have in the blog post going live tomorrow.

Short version: it could happen with SoB removed, if I recall correctly they were toying with a 4.5-sec version in beta pre-SoB. A 4.5-second version would get a pretty hefty mitigation nerf to keep it balanced though, probably by 50%. Having 50% mitigation for 3 seconds is less powerful than having 25% for 4.5 seconds (see also: block cap). Obviously TDR would go up in that situation, but we haven't cared about TDR in quite a while.

I'd actually be OK with SoB going away and keeping the 3-second SotR, provided they did something to make avoidance attractive. Holy power through avoidance could more or less replace the HP gain from haste scaling to keep SotR uptime high without encouraging us to grab haste. It would lock us back to the 1.5-second GCD, though.

You won't see a 4.5-second SotR with SoB though, for sure. Too many concerns about block-capping v2.0.

Sabindeus wrote:
Darielle wrote:Proccing Grand Crusader would automatically cap at the respective gcd even when fighting infinite mobs. An ICD would only be if that was "too much", and tbh it probably would slip under the radar.

I don't think they want us having 100% ShotR uptime though. So the GCD would be too much.

As Darielle already pointed out, GCD wouldn't be that big of an issue. With SoB, you might get enough haste to reach a 1-second GCD and get 100% uptime on SotR, but only while tanking so many mobs that you'd basically need that uptime to survive. Without SoB or at at low haste, you're talking about 1.5-second GCDs, so 4.5 seconds to build up the 3 HP it takes to power 3 seconds of SotR. Still gaps in the coverage.

Against single targets it's much less problematic. Bosses don't swing faster than 1.5s, and if you're avoiding multiple attacks in a row you're also not getting any benefit from the SotR uptime during those avoids.

In any event, they'd probably put a sane ICD on it (like 4.5 seconds) just to make sure none of those were problems.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to General