Remove Advertisements

patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Had not seen that one. I like it, and semi sort of retract my statement. I guess looking at the weapon left me feeling overwhelmed. The sword looks good, with it's hit / mastery. Does the 500str attract tanks? it looks to be about .5% parry before DR, assuming that parry gained from STR is affected by DR (At times I feel utterly clueless trying to make sense of stats and the changes)
Shoju

Postby Darielle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Not sure what you really mean with that. It's 500 Strength that you can only equip in a Sha-Touched weapon and is the only thing you can equip in a Sha-Touched socket, so it's not a question of what's attractive, it's basically a free 500 Str (unless you buy an extra).

There won't be new Sha-Touched weapons in 5.2, so you'll replace yours at some point in the line anyway (especially if it's 496 or 483 - 509 might last until Heroic).
Darielle

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Right. it's 500 free Strength, but why would you ever (as long as there is another Str user) give it to a tank?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=86987
Is the same itemization, has a blue socket with mastery bonus. It's not lagging behind enough that your tank is ever going to care from a threat perspective.

So why give the Sha to a Tank? Sure, the 500 str gives ~.5% Parry before DR, but that's not a "make or break" for the tank.

Or the tank could go with Elegion the fanged Crescent. Which again, is well itemized for a tank (that cares about hitting? Does anyone not care about hitting anymore?) and leaves them more flexibility in the other gear.

I guess I don't see where giving the tank the sword with the slot for the 500 str gem is "attractive" for a raid group that would have a DPSer who would use it is the "best" idea. It leaves me wondering why there wasn't a more tanky gem.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm

well the gems are a personal quest and weapons drop more often than once on occasion.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Flex wrote:well the gems are a personal quest and weapons drop more often than once on occasion.

Right. I understand the gems are a personal quest. And I udnerstand that the weapons drop more than once. They drop from 1 boss in Heart of Fear, and 2 bosses in Terrace of Endless Spring, and they have a chance to drop on all difficulties.

But for a minute, lets say Theck's Guild kills the Heroic guy who drops the 1h'd Str Sword and it drops.

What is the benefit of giving it to theck over giving it to the fury warrior / DW Dk?

Sure, there are things like DKP, EP/GP, etc... that could mean that Theck ends up with it anyway. But, from a "Best use of the Loot", what is the advantage giving it to the tank? There is no tank gem, it's just 500 str, and some Parry. A little more DPS, and a little more avoidance.

I guess I just don't understand why they didn't make a tank gem. Stam, or something. It just doesn't seem like (even with tanks caring about hitting and tank DPS being non trivial) the "best use" for the item, unless everyone else has the item that could use it.
Shoju

Postby Gab » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Shoju wrote: unless everyone else has the item that could use it.

Why give tanks ANYTHING that would be an upgrade for a DPS? It's the same principle. 509 SoSS vs 509 Kilrak both fully gemmed. Kilrak gives you 580 str and 40 hit at the cost of 20 mastery. It's attractive 'cause it's better than any other alternative? If you eventually get one then cool, if not oh well you're only missing out on a little extra strength vs SoSS.
Gab

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Gab wrote:
Shoju wrote: unless everyone else has the item that could use it.

Why give tanks ANYTHING that would be an upgrade for a DPS? It's the same principle. 509 SoSS vs 509 Kilrak both fully gemmed. Kilrak gives you 580 str and 40 hit at the cost of 20 mastery. It's attractive 'cause it's better than any other alternative? If you eventually get one then cool, if not oh well you're only missing out on a little extra strength vs SoSS.

Which is why, there has been Tank Gear, and why Blizzard is currently unhappy with Paladins and Haste.

My point was simply, that the Sha Touched Gems leave something to be desired fro a tank perspective in the current tier.
Shoju

Postby Gab » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Shoju wrote:Which is why, there has been Tank Gear, and why Blizzard is currently unhappy with Paladins and Haste.

My point was simply, that the Sha Touched Gems leave something to be desired fro a tank perspective in the current tier.

The whole haste/str gear is totally unrelated unless you are trying to argue there should be an avoidance weapon.

Would it be any different if there were a Sha stam gem? Weapons would still go to DPS first.
Gab

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Gab wrote:
Shoju wrote:Which is why, there has been Tank Gear, and why Blizzard is currently unhappy with Paladins and Haste.

The whole haste/str gear is totally unrelated unless you are trying to argue there should be an avoidance weapon.

Would it be any different if there were a Sha stam gem? Weapons would still go to DPS first.

NO. I'm not saying that there should be an avoidance weapon. i'm saying that Blizzard doesn't like DPS plate going to tanks, so they have Tank Gear for Tanks. They currently are unhappy that Paladins are eyeing DPS plate for tanking because of the Haste Conundrum.

It would be different with a Sha Stam Gem. It would feel like it was designed to include tanks. That's all I'm saying. It seems like an oversight to not have a "tanky" gem.
Shoju

Postby Sagara » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

LFR stacking buff for every wipe.

wat.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Sagara wrote:LFR stacking buff for every wipe.

wat.

I'm sure it is an attempt to stop people from bailing after a wipe or two on a boss making all raid finders be partials making people bitch about only wanting fresh runs and so on.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Darielle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

NO. I'm not saying that there should be an avoidance weapon. i'm saying that Blizzard doesn't like DPS plate going to tanks, so they have Tank Gear for Tanks. They currently are unhappy that Paladins are eyeing DPS plate for tanking because of the Haste Conundrum.

That's now why they're unhappy with Haste. They're unhappy because the game right now isn't designed around that - which causes odd quirks like LFR having people queue Ret to get that ideal piece, or Paladins having access to use the Ret 2-pc if they have 2 ideal slots, etc. If it was just a case where Paladins in guilds used stuff with Haste, that factor doesn't exist.

Is the same itemization, has a blue socket with mastery bonus. It's not lagging behind enough that your tank is ever going to care from a threat perspective.

So why give the Sha to a Tank? Sure, the 500 str gives ~.5% Parry before DR, but that's not a "make or break" for the tank.

Your comparison is slightly off. Remember, at this point you probably don't just have the Sha gem, you have a Prismatic socket that can be put into a Sha weapon as well, etc.

What you're talking about doesn't really relate. Giving weapons to a tank over someone else is not a benefit if you're min/maxing the dps benefit, since for a long long time our survivability with the gear that we naturally get is more than enough, so fuelling gear into a tank is pointless. Even if they put in a tankkiller that incentivises funnelling gear into the tank, it wouldn't affect this type of situation because a weapon off Sha is off the last boss in the tier anyway.

It would be different with a Sha Stam Gem. It would feel like it was designed to include tanks. That's all I'm saying. It seems like an oversight to not have a "tanky" gem.

Considering they've been on a definite kick to have us not view Strength as a wasted stat for like ... 2 expansions now, and until this expansion Bears actually valued Agility, and specifically in this expansion they ramped the benefit from Strength hard to roughly match that?
Not really.
At best, you can argue it's pushing for a pointless goal or something because we've never really been all that crazy about Avoidance.
Darielle

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Reading the blue post: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2524 ... id-finder/

...it almost sounds like they may use this as a balancer for not making LFR utterly trivial. Interesting.

Blizzard doesn't like DPS plate going to tanks, so they have Tank Gear for Tanks

Maybe it's just the construction of the sentence but this doesn't make sense to me, if you're positing a problem->solution.

Blizz has always had problems itemizing things for tanks. No Dalaran ring, no Halloween ring, and so on. As far as the Sha gem goes, I think it kind of goes back to its affect on raid power. Boosting one-of-eighteen/five-six players (DPS) of your raid with an item is very different from boosting one-of-two (tanks). It's probably why there's never been a tank legendary and why there probably never will be.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Paladin
- We agree that Retribution does not offer enough benefits to an Arena or Battleground team beyond just taking a Holy paladin. We are going to try a change where Hand of Sacrifice also dispels all harmful magic effects on the target for Ret only.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ge=68#1345
Retribution PvP buffs, do my eyes deceive me?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 am

Fetzie wrote:Retribution PvP buffs, do my eyes deceive me?

Probably the person who said that already got fired! :twisted:
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General