Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.

Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.

Armstrong was an asshole, and bullied ppl out of the sport.

This is the big thing about Armstrong. If the 60 Minutes story from last week was to be believed he did huge charitable donations to organizations to have things swept under the rug, forced all of his teammates to dope to so he had dirt on them, blackballed anyone who didn't want to and ended their cycling careers.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Flex wrote:This is the big thing about Armstrong. If the 60 Minutes story from last week was to be believed he did huge charitable donations to organizations to have things swept under the rug, forced all of his teammates to dope to so he had dirt on them, blackballed anyone who didn't want to and ended their cycling careers.

Even people that were not in the sport... like Greg LeMond

Seriously, fuck Armstrong.

And fuck Austin too... it's full of cyclist douchebags that still believe he did nothing wrong.

/Then again, I never liked Austin 'cept for stopping by 6th street every now and then
//Aggie
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.

Before the Colts moved
Before the Browns moved
Before the hoodie won championships
in the late 80's, early 90's when the 'boys sucked.

Would be interesting to see how it changes.
Shoju

Postby Paxen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Having watched the Tour de France for nearly a decade now, I do actually believe they've managed to clean up the sport. Cycling has always been dirty, but EPO was still a game changer - it turns average cyclists into energizer bunnies. Never a bad day, they just go on and on and on....

These last years, however, there have been a lot more favorites getting dumped, having a poor day, showing the effects of a hard ride the day before and so on. You never saw that with Armstrong.
Paxen

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Shoju wrote:pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.

The only downside of that map is the all or nothing coloring of it.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.

The only downside of that map is the all or nothing coloring of it.

Yeah, it would be nice if they could make it interactive, and you could select by team, and actually see where fans are. I know the Browns boast the largest fan club in the world (How they can still have that is mind boggling), and the Browns just did a special on the Palm Beach Browns Backers. While their membership isn't "huge" 200 Browns fans in Palm beach Florida seems kind of weird.
Shoju

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 am

This is part of Mark Webber's (F1 driver) BBC Sport column (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21240896)

I kept asking myself how it was that everyone who beat Armstrong tested positive but he never did. It became a very heavy and difficult subject to discuss with the mutual friends we shared.

I told them two years ago that he had to come clean but they felt it was something he was unlikely to do. The word "defiant" always seemed to crop up. Armstrong was defiant all the way; he believed he was clean.

That was still evident in the interview he gave to Oprah Winfrey. He admitted he was a doper but still didn't see it as cheating.

I think what's staggering to everyone is the amount of people he was prepared to take out on the way up; people who were morally on the right side of the bridge. He wasn't worried about the ramifications and the position he may have put these people in; it was all about Planet Lance.

That's why, Lance, using your words, the "death" penalty isn't too heavy. You rubbed a lot of people's noses in it for so long and treated the rest of us like idiots.

Sums up my opinion quite succinctly too.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am

I agree.

In other PED news, I don't know that I believe the Ray Lewis PED thing. I don't think that he would open himself up to the chance for such scrutiny. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

Shoju wrote:I agree.

In other PED news, I don't know that I believe the Ray Lewis PED thing. I don't think that he would open himself up to the chance for such scrutiny. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Well, if you read into that article on that "lab" it's likely that he gained no benefits, unless he's linked to other stuff. That lab was pure junk science.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:I agree.

Well, if you read into that article on that "lab" it's likely that he gained no benefits, unless he's linked to other stuff. That lab was pure junk science.

I LOL'd HARD at the use of Hologram Stickers on the Elbow. That's just silly talk.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am

Flex wrote:From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.

The whole ray lewis jesus thing seems to me to be phony as hell. Just a copout to try to push aside the whole murder thing.

Dud he conveniently forget about truth setting you free?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.

The whole ray lewis jesus thing seems to me to be phony as hell. Just a copout to try to push aside the whole murder thing.

Dud he conveniently forget about truth setting you free?

The whole murder thing was settled years ago, only reason to bring it up is to make a name for yourself as a "serious journalist."
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm

---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General