All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 am

I don't get the hate over the Pro bowl. It wasn't unwatchable, it was a fun game. I don't expect the players to go out there and lay it all on the line for a game that

1.) Doesn't mean anything.
2.) Doesn't mean anything.
3.) Doesn't mean anything.
4.) Doesn't mean anything.
5.) DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING

The simple question you have to ask yourself, is how much do you like/love football? Do you want to see your favorite players playing in a meaningless game and having a good time?

If the answer is yes, you would like to see that, then The Pro Bowl is for you. If not? Don't watch it.

These guys aren't getting paid a million bucks to play in the game. The game doesn't mean ANYTHING to the players, and it shouldn't. They aren't going to "leave it all on the field". The design of the NFL means that the plays will be by and large "less smart" than the normal game. So easier plays, players not wanting to risk injury, and what has been built as a family experience for the entire week.

My favorite parts of the game? Jeff Saturday snapping the ball to Peyton Manning one more time. The few shots they got of the players with kids. I saw the Mannings with their kids, and I thought I saw someone else with their kids. JJ Watt lining up to catch passes.

The game is fun. It's not serious. I don't want it to be serious. I think that JJ Watt lining up as a TE/WR and the Saturday / Manning Snap were AWESOME Go, have fun, Entertain us. That's what Football is supposed to be. Entertaining. For one week a year, it should be a chance for the players to go out and have a good time. Stats don't matter. The winner doesn't matter. Go have fun. Hell, I'd love to see more of what we saw with Watt, or silly trick plays, or whatever. Who cares. It's an ALL STAR GAME. The only sport that forgot that the All Star Game was supposed to be a celebration of the games top talent is the MLB (Maybe the NHL, I don't watch it so I couldn't tell you). Do we scream and complain when the NBA All Star Game has a ridiculously high score It's not surprising when the final combined score of an All Star Game tops 250, and no one plays defense.

For the record. The NBA All Star Game has topped

300+ 1
275+ 4
250+ 8
225+ 6
200+ 1

in the Past 20 years. The average combined score of an NBA game in 2007-2008 and in 2008-09 was 199.XX So in the past 20 years, the NBA All Star Game has only been "Close to Average" 1 time.

I don't care for NBA Basketball normally, but if I'm sitting around, and it's all Star Weekend, I'll watch. Why? Because it's entertainment. I'm not expecting playoff basketball.

Sometimes, I think that the NFL Fans, and Front Office want "Playoff Football" from the Pro Bowl. And you just aren't going to get it.

I would hate to see the NFL axe the probowl. What I would really like to see them do, is have more fun with it. JJ Watt as a Receiver was cool. Saturday Snapping to Manning one last time was cool. Seeing the kids on the sidelines hanging with their dads was cool. Having Twitter Booths on the sidelines was sort of interesting.

Instead of killing the game, expand it. Have more sideline stuff. Treat it like MTV did the Rock N Jock stuff back in the 90's. Rock N Jock Softball was hilarious to watch. The MLB Softball Celebs 'n Old timers game is fun to watch. It's not serious. In a game like the NFL you aren't going to see "SRSBIZ" from the All Star game. There just is too much at stake to play that way in a game that means nothing

Now, I'm not saying bring in celebs, but if an LB wants to line up as a WR, TE, or RB? Let them. They should have Let Cribbs have some time at QB. He played QB in college. Go out, and have fun doing crazy things. Make it a game of backyard pickup tackle football, and give us some enjoyment.

You could get rid of the normal Announcers. give it to some old players, or players who are hurt and can't play in the game. Give them some fun. Make it about the players for real.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 am

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01-31 ... est-names/

So A-Rod only juiced back then, in a loosey goosey era?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure he did.

I think the PED "debacle" we'll call it, has worn me out. I just don't care anymore. Look! a new report that says a Player was lying in their sideways admission to using drugs!

How aren't these guys being caught? How aren't the tests working? Why is it that we keep hearing about this, but nothing seems to be getting better? Is it really getting worse (the way I feel it is) or is it just my patience, interest, and care about it is gone?

Why don't we care in football? Am I supposed to believe that the one sport I love is the one sport that is the "cleanest"? Surely, with all of those behemoths of men on the field, it's clean right? Have the majority of my childhood sports icons been frauds?

Big Mac, Jose, The Rocket, Sosa, Bonds, Manny,

I mean. PED's seemingly ran absolutely bonkers rampant through MLB. Am I not supposed to suspect other sports? What about MJ? Magic? Rodman? Shaq? What about Emmitt? Barry Sanders? Lebron? Frank Thomas (is adamant he never used)? Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack?

Was it just baseball and cycling? Could there be a link between Football, and Steroids (which Lyle Alzado claims contributed to his brain cancer)and CTE?

Part of me wants to know. The other part of me is as burnt out on this as I am on Brett Favre, and the retire but not really only to play a couple more seasons and be mad at the team that I was most known for playing with saga.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

It must be a day ending in "y" for its time to mock the Jets, yet again
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-russell/
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 am

On PEDs in football, I can't believe the sport is clean. So much money involved, so high risk already (steroids are dangerous, but so's football), such a high premium on pure athletic ability...I really wish they'd do something instead of hiding all test results. That does not build confidence.

As for examples: Adrian Peterson. Abnormal recovery followed by record-setting season. No drugs were involved, and if you believe that I got a bridge to sell you.
Paxen

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

Paxen wrote:On PEDs in football, I can't believe the sport is clean. So much money involved, so high risk already (steroids are dangerous, but so's football), such a high premium on pure athletic ability...I really wish they'd do something instead of hiding all test results. That does not build confidence.

As for examples: Adrian Peterson. Abnormal recovery followed by record-setting season. No drugs were involved, and if you believe that I got a bridge to sell you.

It's hard to argue.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

For all the dislike I have towards Lance Armstrong as a person his statement that taking PEDs was like the water bottle on your bike rings true to me. Everyone at the top of their sport is skirting all the rules to gain the edge. I don't consider people like Sosa and Bonds frauds, I consider them the best at their sport in that environment.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am

Klaudandus wrote:It must be a day ending in "y" for its time to mock the Jets, yet again
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-russell/

All it costs to take a look at him is a space on the 84-man roster. I'd take a look at him. There's no downside at all to it, and who knows, he might turn things around.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Pro Powl. Comes down to one thing.

Ratings. If people aren't watching, they will change or kill it.

(However, I think the old Nielsen system seriously needs to DIAF).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

Flex wrote:For all the dislike I have towards Lance Armstrong as a person his statement that taking PEDs was like the water bottle on your bike rings true to me. Everyone at the top of their sport is skirting all the rules to gain the edge. I don't consider people like Sosa and Bonds frauds, I consider them the best at their sport in that environment.

Yep, BUT, it's much truer for Armstrong than it was for Bonds/Sosa. From baseball, maybe a 20% cheater rate, and that might be high? Cycling was likely 75% or higher, anyone who could afford to do so, did.

halabar

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 pm

If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.

For other Random Stat of the Day. I've been tossing the careers of the top 100 TD scorers (and a few other) WR/TE/RB's on a sheet so that I can mess with the stats. I have to say, the one thing that stands out to me, is that Jim Brown is the only one who sports a 1+ TD/GM average at 1.07.

The top 5 are

Brown 1.07
LT .95
Steve Van Buren .93
Shaun Alexander .91
Don Hutson .91

Only two active players are close to that. Arian Foster at .98 and Adrian Peterson at .90 Don Hutson was the first WR on the list. The second on the list is Randy moss at #15 with a .72.

For Reference, Jerry Rice is #22. and not even the next WR on the list. Art Powell and TO both show up before he does.

I started running this data because Jerry Rice got a little ruffled because Moss said he considered himself the greatest receiver ever, So I started boiling it down to averages. If you take longevity out of the equation (as well as the eras they played in) their numbers are similar.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Back in 2010 The Capitals had a doctor with links to the team implicated in a steroid probe, Alex Ovechkin's performance has fallen drastically over the past few seasons. Coincidence?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.

Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Flex wrote:Back in 2010 The Capitals had a doctor with links to the team implicated in a steroid probe, Alex Ovechkin's performance has fallen drastically over the past few seasons. Coincidence?

Ppl care abut hockey?

J/k
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.

Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.

Armstrong was an asshole, and bullied ppl out of the sport.

If there was such much as a whiff of someone that might say something about him, he would go after that person and turn them into persona non grata within the sport
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm

halabar wrote:

Has he been proved wrong yet?

and I believe Armstrong is getting beat up because he viciously sought to quiet people who were telling the truth, while masterminding a hoax akin to what Melky Cabrera was trying to fabricate. He is absolutely reaping what he sewed(sued).
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General