All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

For all the dislike I have towards Lance Armstrong as a person his statement that taking PEDs was like the water bottle on your bike rings true to me. Everyone at the top of their sport is skirting all the rules to gain the edge. I don't consider people like Sosa and Bonds frauds, I consider them the best at their sport in that environment.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am

Klaudandus wrote:It must be a day ending in "y" for its time to mock the Jets, yet again
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-russell/

All it costs to take a look at him is a space on the 84-man roster. I'd take a look at him. There's no downside at all to it, and who knows, he might turn things around.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Pro Powl. Comes down to one thing.

Ratings. If people aren't watching, they will change or kill it.

(However, I think the old Nielsen system seriously needs to DIAF).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

Flex wrote:For all the dislike I have towards Lance Armstrong as a person his statement that taking PEDs was like the water bottle on your bike rings true to me. Everyone at the top of their sport is skirting all the rules to gain the edge. I don't consider people like Sosa and Bonds frauds, I consider them the best at their sport in that environment.


Yep, BUT, it's much truer for Armstrong than it was for Bonds/Sosa. From baseball, maybe a 20% cheater rate, and that might be high? Cycling was likely 75% or higher, anyone who could afford to do so, did.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 pm

If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.

For other Random Stat of the Day. I've been tossing the careers of the top 100 TD scorers (and a few other) WR/TE/RB's on a sheet so that I can mess with the stats. I have to say, the one thing that stands out to me, is that Jim Brown is the only one who sports a 1+ TD/GM average at 1.07.

The top 5 are

Brown 1.07
LT .95
Steve Van Buren .93
Shaun Alexander .91
Don Hutson .91


Only two active players are close to that. Arian Foster at .98 and Adrian Peterson at .90 Don Hutson was the first WR on the list. The second on the list is Randy moss at #15 with a .72.

For Reference, Jerry Rice is #22. and not even the next WR on the list. Art Powell and TO both show up before he does.

I started running this data because Jerry Rice got a little ruffled because Moss said he considered himself the greatest receiver ever, So I started boiling it down to averages. If you take longevity out of the equation (as well as the eras they played in) their numbers are similar.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Back in 2010 The Capitals had a doctor with links to the team implicated in a steroid probe, Alex Ovechkin's performance has fallen drastically over the past few seasons. Coincidence?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.


Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Flex wrote:Back in 2010 The Capitals had a doctor with links to the team implicated in a steroid probe, Alex Ovechkin's performance has fallen drastically over the past few seasons. Coincidence?

Ppl care abut hockey?

J/k
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.


Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.


Armstrong was an asshole, and bullied ppl out of the sport.

If there was such much as a whiff of someone that might say something about him, he would go after that person and turn them into persona non grata within the sport
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.


Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.


Has he been proved wrong yet?

and I believe Armstrong is getting beat up because he viciously sought to quiet people who were telling the truth, while masterminding a hoax akin to what Melky Cabrera was trying to fabricate. He is absolutely reaping what he sewed(sued).
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:If you think MLB was only 20%, you are being disingenuous to yourself. There is no way that it's that low in the 90's.


Well, you believe Conseco then? Regardless, the point is that it's still likely much lower that cycling was it it's peak, yet Armstrong is beat upon much more.


Armstrong was an asshole, and bullied ppl out of the sport.


This is the big thing about Armstrong. If the 60 Minutes story from last week was to be believed he did huge charitable donations to organizations to have things swept under the rug, forced all of his teammates to dope to so he had dirt on them, blackballed anyone who didn't want to and ended their cycling careers.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Flex wrote:This is the big thing about Armstrong. If the 60 Minutes story from last week was to be believed he did huge charitable donations to organizations to have things swept under the rug, forced all of his teammates to dope to so he had dirt on them, blackballed anyone who didn't want to and ended their cycling careers.


Even people that were not in the sport... like Greg LeMond

Seriously, fuck Armstrong.

And fuck Austin too... it's full of cyclist douchebags that still believe he did nothing wrong.

/Then again, I never liked Austin 'cept for stopping by 6th street every now and then
//Aggie
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.

Before the Colts moved
Before the Browns moved
Before the hoodie won championships
in the late 80's, early 90's when the 'boys sucked.

Would be interesting to see how it changes.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Paxen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Having watched the Tour de France for nearly a decade now, I do actually believe they've managed to clean up the sport. Cycling has always been dirty, but EPO was still a game changer - it turns average cyclists into energizer bunnies. Never a bad day, they just go on and on and on....

These last years, however, there have been a lot more favorites getting dumped, having a poor day, showing the effects of a hard ride the day before and so on. You never saw that with Armstrong.
Paxen
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Shoju wrote:pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.


The only downside of that map is the all or nothing coloring of it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:pretty nifty map. I wish we could "go back in time" and take a look at it before things happened.


The only downside of that map is the all or nothing coloring of it.


Yeah, it would be nice if they could make it interactive, and you could select by team, and actually see where fans are. I know the Browns boast the largest fan club in the world (How they can still have that is mind boggling), and the Browns just did a special on the Palm Beach Browns Backers. While their membership isn't "huge" 200 Browns fans in Palm beach Florida seems kind of weird.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 am

This is part of Mark Webber's (F1 driver) BBC Sport column (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21240896)

I kept asking myself how it was that everyone who beat Armstrong tested positive but he never did. It became a very heavy and difficult subject to discuss with the mutual friends we shared.

I told them two years ago that he had to come clean but they felt it was something he was unlikely to do. The word "defiant" always seemed to crop up. Armstrong was defiant all the way; he believed he was clean.

That was still evident in the interview he gave to Oprah Winfrey. He admitted he was a doper but still didn't see it as cheating.

I think what's staggering to everyone is the amount of people he was prepared to take out on the way up; people who were morally on the right side of the bridge. He wasn't worried about the ramifications and the position he may have put these people in; it was all about Planet Lance.

That's why, Lance, using your words, the "death" penalty isn't too heavy. You rubbed a lot of people's noses in it for so long and treated the rest of us like idiots.


Sums up my opinion quite succinctly too.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am

I agree.

In other PED news, I don't know that I believe the Ray Lewis PED thing. I don't think that he would open himself up to the chance for such scrutiny. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

Shoju wrote:I agree.

In other PED news, I don't know that I believe the Ray Lewis PED thing. I don't think that he would open himself up to the chance for such scrutiny. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.


Well, if you read into that article on that "lab" it's likely that he gained no benefits, unless he's linked to other stuff. That lab was pure junk science.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:I agree.

In other PED news, I don't know that I believe the Ray Lewis PED thing. I don't think that he would open himself up to the chance for such scrutiny. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.


Well, if you read into that article on that "lab" it's likely that he gained no benefits, unless he's linked to other stuff. That lab was pure junk science.


I LOL'd HARD at the use of Hologram Stickers on the Elbow. That's just silly talk.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am

Flex wrote:From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.


The whole ray lewis jesus thing seems to me to be phony as hell. Just a copout to try to push aside the whole murder thing.

Dud he conveniently forget about truth setting you free?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:From sports talk radio in DC it is as if they've never heard a Born Again Christian talk when they discuss Ray Lewis.


The whole ray lewis jesus thing seems to me to be phony as hell. Just a copout to try to push aside the whole murder thing.

Dud he conveniently forget about truth setting you free?


The whole murder thing was settled years ago, only reason to bring it up is to make a name for yourself as a "serious journalist."
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aubade and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Aubade and 1 guest