patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 am

Newsom wrote:Then drops are a bit weird this tier, for example there is only one non-spirit caster ring available across all 3 instances. Mages are left with either using a spirit ring (which I think actually works out to be BiS) or the 489 ring from valor. I'm sure they will be running LFR for a while.

Yeah, drops are sort of weird this tier. I didn't know about the caster ring issue, but you see it even within tank and plate DPS gear. I suspect that HoF/ToES's ilvl was initially 489, but they decided to bump it up late in beta. That would explain some of it (because then rep gear and MSV gear filling gaps would be perfectly logical).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Jezakael » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 am

Newsom wrote:Still 489 though. There's also one from Galleon I think (496) but good luck killing him let alone seeing that drop. Point is a lot of casters will need a new ring. :P

There is also a 496 valor ring from Dominance Offensive/Operation Shieldwall
Jezakael
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:39 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 am

Interesting side-effect, it is mostly useless to upgrade anything from N MGV or LFR, unless it is crazy-itemized, as their fully upgraded ilvl will be trumped by the LFR loot from T15.
You're better off upgrading Heroic loot or Normal HoF/ToES loot.

In short, unless the new shield sucks even MORE (is that even possible?), don't spend Valor on Normal Steelskin.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 am

Sagara wrote:In short, unless the new shield sucks even MORE (is that even possible?),...


No, it's the same itemisation as the old shield:

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/94945-5-2-ra ... s-8-loot-2

Blizzard like their avoidance.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 am

So it suck only just as much?
Better spend the Valor elsewhere :-p
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Pruke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Frustrated by the fact they made LFR ilvl 502.
Pruke
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Same. 496 would be more like it, I think.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Promdates » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 pm

econ21 wrote:
Sagara wrote:No, it's the same itemisation as the old shield:

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/94945-5-2-ra ... s-8-loot-2

Blizzard like their avoidance.


All they did was take old raid items and bump them up for testing. You honestly think these are "final" items we'll see come 5.2?
User avatar
Promdates
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Darielle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 pm

^^

The weapons even have Sha Sockets in them, the same icons and the same stats. Everything is a placeholder for now.

I suspect that HoF/ToES's ilvl was initially 489, but they decided to bump it up late in beta. That would explain some of it (because then rep gear and MSV gear filling gaps would be perfectly logical).


I think they did that too, as well as sort of put in Item Upgrades without really thinking where to go with it, and that's bumped up "gear people have" by a non-trivial amount. I would fully suspect given that Heroic Thunderforged is at 541 that the T16 Normal will be over 550, if they apply the same logic as this tier to it.
Darielle
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Promdates wrote:All they did was take old raid items and bump them up for testing. You honestly think these are "final" items we'll see come 5.2?


Well, now I don't. :) I just cut and paste the link from MMO Champion. But yes, what else was I supposed to think reading this intro to the links:

MMO Champion wrote:The latest PTR build added some of the new raid gear from the Throne of Thunder.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Darielle wrote:The weapons even have Sha Sockets in them, the same icons and the same stats. Everything is a placeholder for now.


Considering they are going to continue to let you buy the gems and the sockets (at least AFAIK)... I hardly see how that is an indication that those aren't likely to be the pieces.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

benebarba wrote:
Darielle wrote:The weapons even have Sha Sockets in them, the same icons and the same stats. Everything is a placeholder for now.


Considering they are going to continue to let you buy the gems and the sockets (at least AFAIK)... I hardly see how that is an indication that those aren't likely to be the pieces.


See here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7763316421#8

You're really best off sticking to information actually contained in our patch notes or other official channels of communication if you're looking to avoid confusion.

There are no more Sha-Touched weapons forthcoming. If you've been diligent about helping Wrathion and continue to do so, your reward in 5.2 is going to be a legendary meta-gem that can go in any helmet.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Fetzie wrote:
benebarba wrote:
Darielle wrote:The weapons even have Sha Sockets in them, the same icons and the same stats. Everything is a placeholder for now.


Considering they are going to continue to let you buy the gems and the sockets (at least AFAIK)... I hardly see how that is an indication that those aren't likely to be the pieces.


See here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7763316421#8

You're really best off sticking to information actually contained in our patch notes or other official channels of communication if you're looking to avoid confusion.

There are no more Sha-Touched weapons forthcoming. If you've been diligent about helping Wrathion and continue to do so, your reward in 5.2 is going to be a legendary meta-gem that can go in any helmet.


heh - disregard previous post :P
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 am

I did end up reading some more of the posts in that thread... I can kind of understand some of the sentiment of 'WTF, yo, I did this thing late in the patch, then got a weapon upgrade and unless I finish the next part, it's like I never did anything?'. But I imagine most folks will end up holding onto their sha-touched weapon with all the shinies for a fair bit of time. Going from 489 to 502 (LFR->LFR upgrade) doesn't seem like it is likely to make up for a +500 primary (other than stam) and a prismatic socket.

Am I missing something? It seems like you'd need to go from an LFR sha-touched weapon fully upgraded (gem + socket, not VP upgrade) to something like a heroic weapon from 5.2 to make up for that... which I imagine is a fairly unlikely scenario.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Gab » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am

benebarba wrote:Am I missing something?


I don't know how highly all classes vaule weapon ilvl. But keep in mind that the spell power contribution for casters/healers and the weapon dps contribution for physical dps is usually weighted a lot higher than other stats.

For example my personal ret sims had 502 Starshatter > 496 Shin'ka w/ Crystalized Terror. It's only now, with the addition of the prismatic socket that Shin'ka eeks out a very small dps increase over the Starshatter.

So an LFR Sha touched (483) with a Sha touched gem AND prismatic socket will almost certainly be replaced by the new 502 LFR weapons afaik. At least for ret, although I imagine that will be the case with most classes. A double upgraded Sha touched (491) might be a little closer for some classes.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am

Some classes are very dependent on weapon damage, not just AP, for their abilities...

Even us, to some degree...

Cons is just AP...cs and hotr are based on weapon damage + AP
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9439
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Darielle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 pm

It also depends on where your stats take you. If you're a Feral for whom Haste stacking wins out at a point in time (more Shredding), your weapon means more than if Mastery stacking is the game (increased bleed damage don't care about weapons)
Darielle
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Jaitee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 am

Darielle wrote:It also depends on where your stats take you. If you're a Feral for whom Haste stacking wins out at a point in time (more Shredding), your weapon means more than if Mastery stacking is the game (increased bleed damage don't care about weapons)


dont ferals get a large portion of their AP from "feral attack power" which is based completely on weapon damage or dps? so better weapon = more AP = bigger bleeds
Jaitee
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 am

That was 2 expansions ago :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 8755
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 am

Feral Druids now get their weapon damage from the average dps of the weapon equipped (gets normalised to a 1 second swing time) or something like taht.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Darielle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 am

Ferals lost the ability to FAP a long time back.
Darielle
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 am

Darielle wrote:Ferals lost the ability to FAP a long time back.

I see what you did there :)
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 am

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/95509-mantid ... ic-locator makes me almost as happy as new battle pets.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm

I can't help but notice that the Wrathion line isn't exactly "Stimulating" for rewards to a tank. I guess the Sha Gem would give you a fair amount of parry, but with the changes to the metas, who in the world would bother using one of those now to tank with?
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Shoju wrote:I can't help but notice that the Wrathion line isn't exactly "Stimulating" for rewards to a tank. I guess the Sha Gem would give you a fair amount of parry, but with the changes to the metas, who in the world would bother using one of those now to tank with?


http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/95344-indomi ... al-diamond seems pretty okay. The DPS ones were changed from stamina to a DPS, the tank one didn't get changed.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chrysla, Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Chrysla, Google [Bot] and 1 guest