Remove Advertisements

Haste prot in challenge modes?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Haste prot in challenge modes?

Postby Pat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello.

Do you guys think being a haste prot paladin would work in challenge modes, or would regemming to stam and such be a better option?
Pat

Re: Haste prot in challenge modes?

Postby Vayacondios » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:36 pm

I havent done much in CM, but what I've done my haste worked just fine. Battle healer is AMAZING for them, the healer with us was doing 20-25k HPS on trash, I was doing another 35-40k just from battle healer. Made the run a LOT easier. And since DPS is a major need in CMs, I don't think nerfing your DPS any would be a good idea, I was running str flask/food also.
Vayacondios

Postby Pat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Ah, so you were running SoI with Battle Healer glyph? That sounds very nice for trash in CMs, actually.
Pat

Postby Vayacondios » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 pm

95% of my time is spent with SoI and battle healer, heroic 5 mans, CMs, heroic raiding, all of it. Love me some SoI and battle healer.
Vayacondios

Postby Gab » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am

I have been doing some CMs here and there as time allows. 7/9 gold atm and I have pretty much all haste/x pieces on, aside from Shield and Helm and maybe a few others. I do use stam trinkets however.

Most of the things that are going to kill you (stuns, bleeds, spells etc...) avoidance wont help anyway even though we get a fair amount of parry just from strength. So a reasonable amount of stamina and then haste stacking has worked really well for me. Out dpsing the dps, except for a demo lock, on most of the runs and contributing alot to healing.
Gab

Postby Promdates » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Vayacondios wrote:95% of my time is spent with SoI and battle healer, heroic 5 mans, CMs, heroic raiding, all of it. Love me some SoI and battle healer.

Once I went to it, I haven't switched out of it. The only time I use SoT is when I'm Ret :x
Promdates

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Well, I did 3 gold runs last night (scholo/scarlet halls/gate of the setting sun), and the damage I took from the larger trash packs was pretty high. Thankfully however during those situations I always had some sort of CD ready, and the comp we are running rotates 2 stuns (warlock/ele shaman). I had originally been running the LFR vial from elegon and the normal lei shei's orders. My stam was low and scarlet halls packs were hitting me hard, so I decided to swap the orders for the relic of nizuao and that gave me a nice chunk of stam.

I may invest in the liquid courage to replace my now LFR stuff of nightmares just for the extra stam. I'd go under expertise cap though.
Pat

Postby Vayacondios » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Pat wrote:Well, I did 3 gold runs last night (scholo/scarlet halls/gate of the setting sun), and the damage I took from the larger trash packs was pretty high. Thankfully however during those situations I always had some sort of CD ready, and the comp we are running rotates 2 stuns (warlock/ele shaman). I had originally been running the LFR vial from elegon and the normal lei shei's orders. My stam was low and scarlet halls packs were hitting me hard, so I decided to swap the orders for the relic of nizuao and that gave me a nice chunk of stam.

I may invest in the liquid courage to replace my now LFR stuff of nightmares just for the extra stam. I'd go under expertise cap though.

If I remember right, CM content is all lvl 92 mobs, yes? So your exp cap is a bit lower than what it normally is for raiding.

You should check that though, not totally sure they are lvl 92.
Vayacondios

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Oh wow, great point! In fact I think they're level 93? I may be wrong. But I remember 93. So with that said, would you say going under the exp cap because I'm technically already under it for CM's wouldn't hurt? I'm thinking though... haste prot all depends on your hit and your exp (well, obviously aside from your haste to spam abilities faster). If I were to lose more exp, and I miss and don't generate HP, I might die faster than I would just getting that extra stam by replacing the stuff of nightmares reforged with exp.
Pat

Postby daishan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

CM bosses are lvl 93 so need 15% exp like raid bosses to be capped, but most of the dangerous stuff in CMs is trash which is only lvl 92 so somewhere around 12% for hard cap.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 am

Trash is 92, named elites/bosses are 93
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am

Trash is what kills you so from a defensive standpoint, you could go with 6% hit, 12% exp. However, DPS is also important, so it doesn't hurt to have every attack guaranteed to be hit, and go for the full 7.5% hit, 15% exp. Hit and exp aren't nerfed by stepping into CM, so your regular raiding gear should suffice there.

The only thing I change for CMs is Str food/flask and glyphing Blinding Light instead of Focused Shield/Double Jeopardy, as a mass interrupt/survival cd.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby mikar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 am

you want to go all-out on dps. meaning max haste, str food+flask and proc-trinkets with str/haste. personally, i'd cap hit/exp at 7/15 because boss dps is very important too but i'm not sure if you'd actually lose dps if you'd put those extra stats from hit/exp into haste.

glyph of battle healer will give your healer enough room to dps most of the time. i'd suggest disc priest.
mikar

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 am

Just thought I'd give an update.

Currently 5/9 golds and all of those were done in full haste gear minus replacing Lei Shei's Orders with a Relic for the extra stam and dodge use for trash. The hardest one for me so far was most definitely Palace due to all of the stuns in there & just hard hitting trash in general. I generally most of the time was okay due to using some sort of mitigation before the stun, but on Gekkan and such my damage taken was pretty high due to the Skulker even though we tried rotating stuns as much as possible.

Regardless, I think I got most of the "high damage" CM's out of the way (we've done - Palace, Scholo, SM, GOTSS, SH). I think the only one left that will be a bit damaging left for me is probably Siege from what I have been reading.. although I heard the mobs in SPM can sort of hit hard.

The only ones we have left are Jade Serpent, SPM, Siege & Brewery. From what I have read, all of them are very easy compared to the rest minus Brewery. I've heard mixed things about Siege. I've heard it's either relatively difficult due to large chain pulls and high trash damage, or relatively easy in terms of just overall difficulty compared to the previous ones I've already accomplished. Brewery I heard is actually easy if you can get to Hoptallus without much issue, and if you get lucky RNG on the last boss and the mechanics he gets. Is this true?
Pat

Postby Gab » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:26 am

For your remaing CMs.

TJS - We went back a second time for a friend who missed this one and one shot it. I think it took us maybe 3 pulls when we first did it. Extremely easy as long as you can get the first trash pull down.

What worked for my group. Just gather everything up, get to Mari's platform and lust while rotating aoe stuns (Not glyphed blinding... it's awful) while making sure to mark and focus the first scripted add spawn. After that skip all the trash up to bridge (you only want to pull the last two packs) with invis pots. Focus the bird from the final pack down and then jump over the rail to start the encounter. Pull packs one or two at a time in the last trash room, they hit hard silence and drop pools that deal really nasty damage if anyone is not paying attention.

Siege - The ONLY tricky part about the whole instance is all of the add packs that skip leading up to third boss joining the fight during the bomb phase. Just make sure you have EVERYthing popped to survive until bombs start flying. Make sure everyone is bombing and continue bombing even after the shield is down. Other than that boss Siege was quite easy, Army cheeses it and earth ele certainly doesn't hurt. Make sure you have someone cheating ahead on the last boss to get the interupt quickly, this will save a lot of time.

Brewery - All about kiting the monkeys effectively before the first boss and killing the three flagged boppers (they start on Hoptalus' platform) to get the second boss to spawn as soon as possible. We just had everyone besides the tank stack near the carrot that blocks the path and eat carrot breath. This way we didn't lose as much dps trying to run from breath and no one, other than the tank, had to worry about hoppers exploding. For the last boss we just had the healer go dps popped lust and killed him quick before a lot of adds spawn, tank/group damage is negligible as long as no one is eating the stuns. I think the final bosses' abilities are fixed in CMs, not sure though.

SPM - First trash pull can be tricky because of the stuns. You want to pull everything and Bubble/cancel the first stun (bonus points if you're human and have EfH) to make sure you are able to have aggro and then pop cds and rotate aoe stuns. After that it's pretty straightforward. We invis pot after the 2nd boss and run to the bridge, if you do this just make sure no one takes fall damage getting there. Fall damage ruined two of our pulls. The trash does hit pretty hard especially the trash before the last boss. Another tip is to leave the last pack before the boss up and then after the boss is dead grab aggro and just have someone click the orb to get credit for your final orb click without having to actually kill the trash if you are at the mob count requirement.

With any decently composed group I'd reccomend not glyphing Blinding Light. It's bad... Long unreliable cd coupled with the fact that you are DRing good 4 or 5 second aoe stuns and long single target stuns like FoJ or by the time you use it it will be DRed to all hell by those other stuns. The base line blind still comes in handy for kiting and interupting and wont DR more important stuns or be on DR when you really need that interupt. Also the glyph slot is more valuable for either a DPS increasing glyph or glyph of holy wrath when going up against CMs that contain elementals.

TL:DR I highly reccomend not using Glyph of Blinding Light.
Gab

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice