Remove Advertisements

tank trinkets

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

tank trinkets

Postby jsantana » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am

Seeking help with tank trinkets, I'm in a 10man raiding guild doing HC and sitting above over 600k and don't really need anymore stamina as I been doing well at controlling damage and strong healers in my raid. I was referencing askmrrobot to get more secondary stats for focusing on more haste to gain more TPS/HPS/DPS and sotr uptime as well. Askmrrobot suggested to use iron dragonling for the 1800 secondary stats, the trinket seems very compelling and its passive stats than other tank trinkets that either have proc that could be unreliable during boss fights when there's a situation of big hits are incoming to help smooth out dmg taken. Im here o ask my fellow protadins their POV on the iron dragonling trinket once easily getting the hit and expertise hard caps vs other trinkets.? Stamina is not really that important as the dmg spikes I'm not too worried only except bosses like lei Shi and heroic emp probably to give my healers breathing.

In addition, I read a recent post on blizz possibly shifting haste to be less valuable than avoidance, I wonder by blizzard increasing the effectiveness of avoidance stats then decreasing the value of haste, I would still think the hard cap and haste would prb still be good at smoothing dmg as the avoidance stat can produce spikey dmg.
jsantana

Re: tank trinkets

Postby econ21 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Yeah, I think the dragonling is a very nice trinket. It "feels" way over budget for it's item level - perhaps because I don't put much weight on the procs or on use features of conventional trinkets. A straight 1800 of the best stat you can get is not to be sneezed at (e.g. if you want 1800 haste, take hit/exp and recoup the 1200 haste from reforges/regems).

Although personally, I'm sticking to dual stamina and haven't gone as far down the haste route as many (and with GCs recent pronouncement, I'll probably not pursue it).

One downside to the dragonling is that if you put hit/exp on it (as you should), your caps will not be met if you switch it out for a stamina trinket.
econ21

Postby Vayacondios » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 am

Duel stam trink isn't very useful for 10 man heroics, I only use one stam trink on Lei Shi and heroic Sha, no stam trinks on any other fights.

I run Heroic Vial and reg dark mist, both are simply the best that I've seen drop so far. Dream two for me imo is Heroic Orders and heroic Nightmares or heroic dark mist. Dark mist for farm content where I can go DPS>living. Nightmares for real fights.

If you don't any ANY other options for your trinks, then Dragonling isn't a bad pick. Personally I'd take the Shadow-pan rep str trink before I did the Dragonling, or even the DMF str trink. Remember, str does = parry. And more str means bigger heals, more damage, etc.
Vayacondios

Postby jsantana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Stamina trinkets i really dont need like i said for bosses like lei shi as my current gear for heroic fights i barely run into a problem with damage spike, unless its something like heroic spirit kings with Qiang cleave as we move together to move out of flanking order, then some raiders are not spot on to distribute the cleave dmg, then I guess the extra HP could help healers reaction to the extra dmg taken. But, at the moment let think about comparison of raw stat value in a realistic encounter, just purely base stats (strength, stamina) vs secondary stats (haste, mastery, expertise, etc). I do remember on another thread that I posted about strength contribution to prot paladin and he did argue using str trinkets or str flask that the value of it is minuscule in comparison to vengeance, I agree. but I'm curious about secondary passive stats provided by ghost iron dragonling (600 haste, 600 mastery, 600 expertise - would allow for more reforge to haste) plays against str trinkets with either haste or str procs vs stamina trinkets with on use effect like mastery over the course of a 6 minute avg fight between normal and heroic raid. I believe the passive secondary stats may provide more value for 10m encounter where stamina isnt so critical in many fights but the bonus is applies to our active mitigation as we all know provides the largest dmg reduction. I know going the route of a str trinket can provide more value in hps/tps/dps but really how much of the return are we really getting from it? but for progression I would think secondary stat could prevail for higher up time on SOTR. Im just curious about how signficant (secondary passive stats provided by ghost iron dragonling (600 haste, 600 mastery, 600 expertise - would allow for more reforge to haste) plays against str trinkets with either haste or str procs vs stamina trinkets with on use effect like mastery over the course of a 6 minute avg fight between normal and heroic raid.?)

I know im over-thinking this, but I been ran running with vial + lao shin (stam) trink for awhile, beginning to feel i could better value in using something else other than my stam in many fights.
jsantana

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 am

Do keep in mind that trinkets are the "cheapest" place statwise to get your stamina, as the stamina:secondary stat ratio on trinkets follows the regular itemization of 150:100.

Glove/Boot enchants provide a stamina:secondary stat ratio of 150:170 and gems provide a stamina:secondary stat ratio of 150:200.

So if you are using any stamina gems (save perhaps hybrid stamina gems in blue sockets, though hit would be an alternative there), or using stamina on gloves/boots, you should go with 2 stamina trinkets. If you want less stamina, best replace your gems first, then your enchants, and if you still want less stamina, swap out your trinkets.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice