Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Again, I say "test for reasonableness". If what's reported is not reasonable behavior of grown adults, then it's likely there is more to the story that we have not heard.

To quote the article:

The superintendent's office for the Mount Carmel Area School District did issue a statement, stating that "by law we cannot officially comment on the specifics," while expressing confidence that the story circulating in the media "may not be consistent with the facts."

"When given the opportunity in the appropriate forum, we look forward to presenting information that will portray our school district in a more positive light," the school district said.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Koatanga wrote:Again, I say "test for reasonableness". If what's reported is not reasonable behavior of grown adults, then it's likely there is more to the story that we have not heard.

To quote the article:

The superintendent's office for the Mount Carmel Area School District did issue a statement, stating that "by law we cannot officially comment on the specifics," while expressing confidence that the story circulating in the media "may not be consistent with the facts."

"When given the opportunity in the appropriate forum, we look forward to presenting information that will portray our school district in a more positive light," the school district said.

My district has said pretty much thing when they screw up, and they have screwed up...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Koatanga wrote:Again, I say "test for reasonableness". If what's reported is not reasonable behavior of grown adults, then it's likely there is more to the story that we have not heard.

To quote the article:

If the kid's lawyer's story isn't accurate, then fair enough. The sort of procedural crap that you were arguing doesn't fly though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 am

"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 am

Skye1013 wrote:And... now for a change in subject!

http://coloradoindependent.com/126808/i ... ent-people

Oh boy... *facedesk*
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:03 am

Can't really fault them for asking to be judged by the set standards, even though they disagree with them - I mean wanting to change the law/interpretation of the law is not the same as personally having to be judged by that interpretation untill the law is changed.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 am

If you truly want the law to change, you have to be willing to be judged by the standards you want... not the ones that benefit you at the time.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 am

Consider this, if they had not compromised their beliefs and allowed the lawsuit to be tried without bringing up the current law, a few things could have happened:

1) They win the suit anyway, beliefs remain in tact, doc gets to keep his job, no money (outside of paying for lawyers/court costs) is lost.

2) They lose the suit, beliefs remain in tact, they appeal to a higher court (all the way up to the Supreme Court if necessary.) SC rules it a win in their favor, see #1. SC rules it against them, they have to pay out, beliefs still remain in tact and now there is suddenly SC precedence that 7 month fetuses fall under living human laws. Sure it isn't conception, but it's a starting line for them.

Instead... they chose to compromise their beliefs, win the suit, and now it's up to the family to push it into a higher court and the church looks bad.

Granted, I don't really expect that the church cares much, considering their stance on homosexuality and molestation, yet they're harboring child molesters in their ranks.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah, the issue is the precedent it sets. They could have bitten the bullet, risked losing the case, but set a precedent by losing it that a foetus is to be treated as a human being in these situations. Instead, they protested the charges based on the existing law they disagree with, potentially setting a precedent that doctors are not fully liable for malpractice when unborn foetuses are put at risk.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 am

I agree that the hospital and the faith could have chose that, but unless I'm completely mistaken, its the doctor that has to pay up if they win, and I'm pretty sure they could sue the lawyers for malpractice if they didn't argue the full use of precedent law to win their case (malpractice suit over losing a malpractise suit, yay!)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

Skye1013 wrote:
If you truly want the law to change, you have to be willing to be judged by the standards you want... not the ones that benefit you at the time.

QBIUFC-FT

All that emphasis is mine, because that's the heart of the matter. If you don't want them to be people when you are accused of wrongful death, you really don't have the right to tell your employees that they are people when they are inside of them.

It's a double standard. I understand the defense. They are playing by the letter of the law. But that's a PR nightmare that they shouldn't have stepped into. That's like saying:

Hey, when we kill them? They're just fetuses. But when you want to choose when to have one inside you, or when you don't want to have one inside you while you are my employee, They're a person.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:50 am

But if they lose the suit, don't they establish legal precedent for the unborn to be considered persons without having to go through the appeals process?

Besides which, fetuses are not people - they are evidence:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-mexico-abortion-bill_n_2541894.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Brown said in a statement Thursday that she introduced the bill with the goal of punishing the person who commits incest or rape and then procures or facilitates an abortion to destroy the evidence of the crime.

Cause so many rapists pay for the abortion...

Hey I just raped you
And this is crazy
But I will pay to
Abort your baby

Yeah right.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm

I swear the GOP is obsessed with RAPE and FETUSES
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/2 ... lp00000009

Too bad the don't give a lick once the kid is out of the womb.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I swear the GOP is obsessed with RAPE and FETUSES
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/2 ... lp00000009

Too bad the don't give a lick once the kid is out of the womb.

I swear I have seen that link somewhere before...
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm

WOW... My bad, I completely derped -- somehow I totally missed your post... :oops:
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum