TESO - The Elder Scrolls Online

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

TESO - The Elder Scrolls Online

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

The Elder Scrolls Online (TESO) is a new MMO set in the Elder Scrolls universe, setting of games such as Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, developed by Zenimax Online and Bethesda

currently, there are beta signups here

will add more info to this post when i get a chance

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: TESO - The Elder Scrolls Online

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

This game looks pretty interesting - first time I've sought out any information on it. There are one or two references to PvE on the site but for the most part it appears to be PvP-focused - they even have a kind of worldwide capture-the-flag game with the Elder Scrolls.

With its built in audience it'll be interesting to see how this does when it launches.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby kenshin648 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 am

I wonder how they will set this game up. I am expecting monthly payments but something like how guild wars 2 is would be great.

I'll likely play as a Redguard.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am

i believe they are going down the same path as GW2, but i dont know for sure

ill try to get some more info in the first post as to alliances and such today

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 am

Watched some of the game play video. Looks pretty as fuck, but the combat is typical MMO stand and attack.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Having watched one of the videos there, it seems it's not really all that PvP-focused. Odd that the other parts of the site (the game guide, particularly) put so much heavy emphasis on the faction PvP.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

the open world pvp is in the central area, after you finish your factions starting area

bldavis

Postby Gracerath » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 pm

I can't say I'm too interested. I guess it depends on several factors. Elder Scrolls for me has always been about the exploration. If they keep that interesting and meaningful, I could possibly get into it for a while. The combat looks pretty bad. We'll see.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 am

It sounded from the video that they're trying to build the quest system in the same way it works in the regular ES games - you have a compass pointing out nearby points of interest, and find new quests by going off from what you're doing and exploring those.

Have to wonder what they'll do for longevity of the game. Looks like they have pretty much every known zone from the series in there from the start. Elder Scrolls game expansion packs usually work by adding in new locations.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Bethesda is looking at a $15 month subscription. Can't help but think that that makes the game DOA in this age.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:39 am

Character creation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFhB6bSZLRw

I am not in the slightest worried about this game's quality in terms of character customisation and the game world it's set in.
...what I am worried about is the combat mechanics. I find that combat is an incredibly important part of these kinds of games, and I never felt the Elder Scrolls games had very interesting combat.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby sahiel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Just finished this weekends beta testing of it and not terribly thrilled. The scenery is gorgeous, character models less so, animations even less so. The story up til 17 seemed mostly bland generic stuff and despite spending a lot of time playing it I never actually really enjoyed it or had any "YES!" moments, it was more "I said i'll try it out so I guess I have to play this weekend." which by the end of it had me sick of the game.

Combat felt... a little silly. The animations weren't great and seemed able to be started from far too far away leaving both characters and enemies slashing at thin air, also the character is offset to the left of the screens center (where the 'target' crosshairs are) and every time she was fighting and I had the crosshairs over the enemy it seemed like she was staring off into the distance past them and not paying attention, very off putting.

The character creation system was good at least though in most parts (slider for 'posterior size', really), the UI seemed a real let down however, perhaps because I was expecting something more Skyrim (which I liked) and essentially got a super bland, far too unobtrusive/unintuitive version of that which left me feeling let down and searching for information far longer than I should have.

Overall, personally I'd probably buy it if it was on sale and didn't have a monthly fee and had friends who wanted me to play with them, that's about the best I can give it.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 pm

just a reminder that the beta is under NDA, so be careful what you share (i dont remember exact terms, so i tend to not talk about it unless i know the other person is also in the beta)

bldavis

Return to Other Games