patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Paladin
- Sword of Light now reads +30% Word of Glory and +100% Flash of Light. We wanted to reward Flash of Light more, because it's harder and riskier to use.
- For Divine Storm, several years ago, we got on this kick that thou shalt not use AE in single target fights. Ret paladins (Divine Storm) and warriors (Whirlwind) were particularly affected (and perhaps bummed out by it). The game has changed a lot since that time and now we have cleaving Arcane Barrages and core abilities like Howling Blast. We think the Ret toolkit is in a better place with separate single-target and AE finishers, but we get requests all the time to make Divine Storm more prominent. This set bonus is one way to do that. We also saw some complaints about yet another set bonus affecting TV, and thought maybe we could play with DS. We also saw complaints that TV randomly doing more damage would be frustrating. The new bonus allows you to take advantage of a proc to increase your damage. We could change the proc to Holy damage, but we would have to nerf it to account for the 2pc and Inquisition.
- For Blinding Light, we don't think it changes much that it's used at the end of a CC chain. It's still trickier to get off a cast time spell. You have to stop moving and risk interruption. Yes, you may use it defensively less often, but the net result will still be less being CC'd by a Holy paladin. No, the CC target can't stop the cast time, but we balance PvP around group play. During MoP development, we wanted to make sure paladins had more offensive pressure. Holy ended up getting plenty with higher nuke damage and access to Repentance. With the recent changes to shaman, Holy paladins are the most dominant healer in high-end PvP. We think this change along with the set piece bonus change will help bring that down a little.
- The Protection 2pc will indeed count Divine Purpose boosted Words of Glory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... age=20#390
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... age=23#454

And looks like they're confirming 5.0 raids will get no nerfs/players will get buffs
Cutting Edge: Grand Empress Shek'zeer - no longer mentions the Klaxxi Resonance buff, now mentions "before the discovery of the Throne of Thunder".
Cutting Edge: Sha of Fear - no longer mentions the Klaxxi Resonance buff, now mentions "before the discovery of the Throne of Thunder".
Cutting Edge: Will of the Emperor - no longer mentions the Klaxxi Resonance buff, now mentions "before the discovery of the Throne of Thunder".
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

djlar wrote:You think pallies are ignored? just look at rogues and you'll laugh...

Playing around with blade flurry and shuffling with 2 abilities and that's it..

Now I wonder if the new ranged thingy will work at all, and if they made BF cleave range a bit further, maybe..

"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 am

From today's PTR patch notes:

■The cost of Valor Point gear introduced in patch 5.0 has been reduced by 50%.
■The cost of Valor Point gear introduced in patch 5.1 has been reduced by 25%.

Personally, I think that's nicer than making them JP gear since JP has fewer sources than VP.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

Justice points have become entirely useless with this expansion, but they're also putting way too much weight on Valor points with all gear & upgrade system on them. Wonder where they'll go with it in 6.0.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:01 am

benebarba wrote:From today's PTR patch notes:

Personally, I think that's nicer than making them JP gear since JP has fewer sources than VP.

They should also reduce the required rep needed to purchase that gear...

If it needed honored, then allow it to be purchased at friendly, if it needed revered, make it need honored now...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

The double rep buff pretty much does that anyway for second characters; you hit Revered not far past where you would have hit Honored without it. Still not great for new/returning players, of course, but there are also more options by the time 5.2 comes out (faster new reps with higher ilevel gear, all the LFRs, crafted raid gear with prices dropping because it's no longer the best), so Blizz probably aren't too concerned.

Edit: And of course, earning the valor to buy all these items takes much longer than earning the rep to unlock them, so the upcoming change is a bigger deal than changing rep levels would be.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 am

So the new Death Knight Tier....

I... Well... If you shut the helmet off, I don't hate it. I do think that the lead designer for the set spent too much time watching

lately, as I feel like the whole thing is heavily inspired by the mouth of one.

Now, I love Alien. It's one of my fav movie series, even acknowledging the quality after Aliens was a steady decline right into the blob that was Prometheus' Ocotpus Alien human monstrosity that made no sense (I wont bore you with the details here)

But it's a little overboard. It's a cool Idea, that they just ran absolutely crazy with. Overkill of the zomgbbqihazmonstermouthsalloverme! RAWRtheyareonmyhandsandwristsandelbowsandshouldersandchestandbeltandlegsandkneesandfeetandZOMGdidyouseethemostawesomesetofspikeymandiblethingsthatihazonmyhead! magnitude. Yes. That's how my eyes feel when they are being assaulted by that.

I love the shoulders though. I would probably try to build a set based on those. The animation is pretty slick. I could even agree that it would look better if you could find comparable colored pieces to just get rid of SOME of the mouths. Depending on how the coloration variation shook out, the red set could be paired with some of the ICC25 HC gear (which... by 90, and working towards this tier, I'd assume is "more" doable with very few people.), and I'd see if I could find a different helmet. That is the biggest fail helmet I have ever seen for a DK. That thing makes T11's helmet look AMAZING
Shoju

Postby Sagara » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 am

Shoju wrote:So the new Death Knight Tier....

I... Well... If you shut the helmet off, I don't hate it. I do think that the lead designer for the set spent too much time watching

lately, as I feel like the whole thing is heavily inspired by the mouth of one.

Now, I love Alien. It's one of my fav movie series, even acknowledging the quality after Aliens was a steady decline right into the blob that was Prometheus' Ocotpus Alien human monstrosity that made no sense (I wont bore you with the details here)

But it's a little overboard. It's a cool Idea, that they just ran absolutely crazy with. Overkill of the zomgbbqihazmonstermouthsalloverme! RAWRtheyareonmyhandsandwristsandelbowsandshouldersandchestandbeltandlegsandkneesandfeetandZOMGdidyouseethemostawesomesetofspikeymandiblethingsthatihazonmyhead! magnitude. Yes. That's how my eyes feel when they are being assaulted by that.

I love the shoulders though. I would probably try to build a set based on those. The animation is pretty slick. I could even agree that it would look better if you could find comparable colored pieces to just get rid of SOME of the mouths. Depending on how the coloration variation shook out, the red set could be paired with some of the ICC25 HC gear (which... by 90, and working towards this tier, I'd assume is "more" doable with very few people.), and I'd see if I could find a different helmet. That is the biggest fail helmet I have ever seen for a DK. That thing makes T11's helmet look AMAZING

Honestly, I thought they had listened to your opinion piece back then:

"Ok, players are bored of skulls and bones on DK Tiers."
"So what do you need? Besides a miracle."
"Teeth. Lots of teeth."
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 am

Also missed that the first dungeon and scenario you do each day will Champion whatever faction you are tracking via the Reputation UI, at least it was the first I saw of that.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

Flex wrote:

Also missed that the first dungeon and scenario you do each day will Champion whatever faction you are tracking via the Reputation UI, at least it was the first I saw of that.

In the notes I saw there was only a note that the rep UI would indicate if you had used a grand commendation. Though if they do what you mention: sweet. It's a bit of a compromise between nothing and always-on tabards, and seriously if doing the house cleaning for the Shado-Pan/celestials/golden lotus doesn't earn you rep... why should doing their busywork?
benebarba

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

Raids, Dungeons and Scenarios
You can now earn bonus reputation for your first dungeon and scenario of the day. You can select which reputation you choose to champion by selecting it from the reputation panel on the character screen. When you queue for a dungeon or scenario, the UI will remind you which reputation you are championing and allow you to change the reputation from there. (You cannot change that reputation once you are in the dungeon or scenario.)

Not red and not sure if there in the first patch note release.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jabari » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:12 am

Shoju wrote:
bldavis wrote:dam you shoju....
i made my dk as an undead for a reason

now you are making me want to switch him to troll

aye mon. de trolls have de juju mon.
<epic troll snip>

Damn man, you're going to make me dust off my namesake and get him from 85 to 90.

Jabari was my original character - TROLL Warrior. :)

(And yes, I still have the original 15-man ZG one-hand sword and shield - kept them because they look cool and now I can mog to them. Need to go through the new ZG for an armor set to match...)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Trolls officially best horde race.

Also original ZG was 20 people :p
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 pm

About Trolls.

For me, I started with an Undead. My story is well documented around here about how the "look" of the gear on them killed it for me. Seriously. Most epic letdown I've ever had in WoW? the first epic I got on my rogue.

So I went to BE, and started my paladin.

But in there, I also started a troll Priest. For the life of me, I can't remember his name anymore, but I loved him because he was a troll, even though I was an epic failure as a priest.

And that's when I sat back and realized something. (during BC) at that time? There were only two races that were REALLY original to WoW. Zombies / Undead had been done in tons of things. There were Minotuars, and Orcs, and Elves, throughout gaming. There were Dwarves, and HUmans, and more Elves, and gnomes as well. That left Draenei, and Trolls. Sure, there were trolls in other games, but they didn't look like WoW Trolls. They weren't spindly. They were brutes. They didn't have this wonderous culture of deities. Trolls, were awesome in my book. I liked the way Space Goats looked, but the story didn't feel... as "cool" to me.

So I trudged on as a BE, made a few more BE's, and thought they were nifty, because at least the "angle" on these elves was interesting. But then, I just realized, that Trolls were still cooler. So I made a troll Shaman. He was fun. I loved the way he looked. So I made more trolls. and just kept messing with them. I'm not a "huge" RP type of guy, but I at least try to make the characters believable. Troll Shamans felt good. They fit the culture of the Troll Race.

Shojin stuck around.

I originally made my DK a NELF Fem, just to prove to myself I could play a NELF Female, and not delete it. I'd tried a Druid, and a Hunter, but man... they just drove me nuts. I played as an NELF, and got to 80 as a NELF. I moved servers to join the Alliance Lurkers, and found myself suddenly as a fill in for raids, and pugging. I wasn't having fun, on the server, but I was having fun with the DK, so I moved over to Terenas, hung in Flex's guild for a bit, and realized that I really didn't like having a toon on the same server that was a different faction. So, I Faction Swapped.

I'm staring at the screen. Thinking a Cow would be cool, but I just couldn't get over the Cow size. It had plagued me my entire WoW playing time. They just felt cumbersome.

So I looked at Undead. Undead DK would be cool. But.... I hated the way the gear looked. I was in a mish mash of Ulduar 25 / Badge Gear / and a few ICC pieces. What already looked like a skittles vomit attack looked even worse on an undead.

So I tried Belf. Seriously? BELF DK's make me giggle. As awful as a Forsaken DK looks, the BE looks just as bad, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. Blech.

So I sat there. Orc? Troll? I almost went Orc. I had an AWESOME, looking Orc all picked out, and I decided to dummy up the Troll just to see what it looked like. I was in awe. It looked perfect. Troll. A Troll DK? Well, That would be pretty cool. And so Onisu came to be.

About the new Tier.

I'm glad that it isn't T11 all over again. And there are parts of it that are absolutely fantastic. The biggest downer of the set, is the helmet. For some reason, they think that Horns or big things coming off the head is just what makes a DK Tier work. And with this set, they really out did themselves.

The Teeth, are cool. Even overdone, it is a cool idea. The problem is, it's just over done. It's like they called up Xzibit and he said "Yo dawg, I heard you like teeth, so we put some teeth in the teeth, so you can bite while you fight." or something. There are (I'm looking at the set)

Teeth on the wrists
Teeth on the shoulders
Teeth on the Helm
Bigger Jaws for horns with Teeth on the jaws.
Teeth on the Stomach
A full jaw set (that really gives the Alien vibe, and a dirty feeling of the "little head" coming out) on the belt Pics below if you don't understand.)
Teeth on the Knees
Teeth on your Toes

This is one of those instances, where I wonder why they didn't do the "T11" thing, and make the helm the same as the Shoulder? Want to prove that it's a good idea to do that sometimes? I think the Should would have made a pretty interesting Helm. Assuming, that the shoulders are the head of whatever we killed to trophy-ize into our armor, where in the world are the larger jaws that make the horns on the helm from? Those jaws look like they were made because someone said "IT NEEDS HORNS MAN! IT'S DK ARMOR!"

The teeth on the Toes culminates the "teeth on yo teeth so you can bite while you fight" idea. Ok, I can see putting them on the knees, you trimmed the gloves with them. Sure. It may be "a little" much, but It would be understandable. but the teeth on the toes? Eh.... not digging that choice.

And to finish off the idea I mentioned before with the belt. What creepier notion is there than

That takes the phallic joke to a whole new creepy level.
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Patch note doesn't say the Scenario/dungeon rep bonus only applies to Pandaria reputations. Possibly just an oversight, but interesting if not.

Players in low level battlegrounds will have their effective level raised to the maximum level allowed in that battleground bracket. Players' base stats and spells are scaled accordingly and are treated as the same level when determining hits, misses, and critical effect chance.

Level scaling in battlegrounds - interesting change. No longer any issue of lowbies versus higher levels. Though it means the very fun (and horrendously unbalanced) level 10 pvp will be gone.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General