Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:55 am

So basically he is being called out for being friendly, falling in love, and then having it turn out to be a hoax. Poor guy actually.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:28 am

Nooska wrote:So basically he is being called out for being friendly, falling in love, and then having it turn out to be a hoax. Poor guy actually.

Yep. I hate ND but I feel bad for the guy

Or maybe not. Now some az cards player is saying that the chick is real...

One thing is for sure... Both manti teo's gf and nd's offense were uncovered to be a joke

If teo actually went along with the hoax, makes me wonder if he did it out of sheer publicity (attention whore) or because people ad started saying he is gay
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 am

There are a few things that are institutional issues brought forth by this.

Journalistic Ethics: A reporter for ESPN who was doing a profile of Te'o ran into the same red flags regarding the girlfriend's death that Deadspin did. He was told to let it drop by the Te'o family. The death was reported as fact in the profile.

University Standards: Compare Notre Dame's vocality regarding this to their stone silence over Lizzy Seeberg.

On a personal level the best out come if that Te'o got punked and knew nothing.

At worst it was a campaign carried out by him and his family to raise his public profile through a tragic narrative to increase both his Heisman Trophy and NFL draft strength.

His family stating they met her when she doesn't exist is a bit odd. Te'o stating that he lost his girlfriend to cancer in an interview 2 days after getting a call from her 3 months after she supposedly died is kind of awkward to the official ND and Te'o explanation.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am

I can't wait for the "30 for 30" on this. =P

At this stage, is would prolly be less embarrassing to come out of the closet for him than the alternatives:
- was complicit in the hoax, willingly duping everyone in an effort to try to garner support for a Heisman trophy
- is really really stupid to fall for such a hoax
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I like(d) Manti. I wont hold it against him if he was the victim of a hoax. I'll think he's a little gullible, but I wont think he's an idiot. A good friend of mine had a similar thing happen to him, we tried to warn him that it seemed to good to be true, but when you find someone who matches your beliefs, and seems perfect, you'll turn a blind eye to the red flags just as assuredly as you would turn a blind eye to red flags IRL.

Now, if it comes out that he was "part" of this whole hoax? I think he'll be a well deserved punchline for years to come.

I'm fearful, we're going to end up with the punchline, and not the gullible guy.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:43 pm

I met a girl online and we communicate via text and Skype for several years without ever seeing each other. She could have been a hoax or the real deal - I wouldn't know differently.

Eventually we exchanged visits (she turned out to be real), and we've now been married for 9 years.

So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would have an online girlfriend that he's never met, and it could be a serious thing.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

And the taiwanese have found out about Te'o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmpGhIZJWw

LOL
---
Klaudandus

Postby twinkfist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 pm

i'm all chip'd up right now.

all chips are in...get it? get it? :roll:

i am pretty excited though...don't want michael vick anywhere near this offense. that guy couldn't read a defense if his life depended on it.

I'm okay with foles...almost all of the qb's in this draft are "meh"...probably no better ceilings than foles.
twinkfist

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 pm

what if you get cousins or alex smith or matt flynn?
---
Klaudandus

Postby twinkfist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

to be honest...i want none of the above.

the eagles need some sort of playmaker. i personally don't see that in Smith. Flynn...couldn't beat out rookie Wilson...not Wilson of right now...but rookie Wilson.

Cousins...not sure what to think about him. His offensive line was one of the better lines in the league. The eagles o-line is putrid...not sure how any of them would have done with this o-line.

Foles does have talent...he was even thought to go 2nd behind luck before the 2011 year...the problem was that he had about the same year as the year before. his footwork still wasn't good...didn't improve accuracy on the deep ball either...plus one of the worst o-lines in college football.

maybe he stays...maybe he's gone after this year if chip finds someone else...but kelly loves foles...was quoted in 2011 stating as much and said it again.
twinkfist

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Redskins offensive line good? Laughable
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Klaudandus wrote:- was complicit in the hoax, willingly duping everyone in an effort to try to garner support for a Heisman trophy

So wait... the Heisman is/was/could be awarded based on a sympathy vote? And even so, his Grandmother still died... it's not like all of the sympathy is unwarranted.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:- was complicit in the hoax, willingly duping everyone in an effort to try to garner support for a Heisman trophy

So wait... the Heisman is/was/could be awarded based on a sympathy vote? And even so, his Grandmother still died... it's not like all of the sympathy is unwarranted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... &eref=sihp
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... &eref=sihp

And law of unintended consequences

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 am

twinkfist wrote:to be honest...i want none of the above.

the eagles need some sort of playmaker. i personally don't see that in Smith. Flynn...couldn't beat out rookie Wilson...not Wilson of right now...but rookie Wilson.

Cousins...not sure what to think about him. His offensive line was one of the better lines in the league. The eagles o-line is putrid...not sure how any of them would have done with this o-line.

Foles does have talent...he was even thought to go 2nd behind luck before the 2011 year...the problem was that he had about the same year as the year before. his footwork still wasn't good...didn't improve accuracy on the deep ball either...plus one of the worst o-lines in college football.

maybe he stays...maybe he's gone after this year if chip finds someone else...but kelly loves foles...was quoted in 2011 stating as much and said it again.
That's not exactly accurate about Flynn. What hasn't gotten much run is that Flynn was injured at the beginning of the year. Wilson had played really well in the preseason. Flynn did fine too, but the injury limited his reps quite a bit, and a couple of weeks in he had to sit out because of it, and it kept pestering through the start of the season.

Wilson wasn't selected purely because he was better than Flynn at that moment, Seattle also believed he had a bigger upside, and it's hard to argue with his results. I don't know that I'd discount Flynn just because he was beat out by a guy that ultimately had a QB rating higher than Tom Brady, which ignores what Wilson brings to the running game. Flynn's not a sure thing, but he's definitely worth a look.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 am

twinkfist wrote:I'm okay with foles...almost all of the qb's in this draft are "meh"...probably no better ceilings than foles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly tries for Landry.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General