Yet ANOTHER cooldown in 5.2

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Yet ANOTHER cooldown in 5.2

Postby DisRuptive1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Hand of Purity now reduces all incoming damage by 10% in addition to its other effects.

Hand of Purity (talent) 30sec CD
[10% damage reduction, lasts 6 secs]

Divine Protection 60sec CD
[20% damage reduction (glyphed), lasts 10 secs]

Holy Avenger (talent) 120sec CD
[Constant SotR buff, lasts 18 secs)

Ardent Defender 180sec CD
[20% damage reduction+death protection, lasts 10 secs]

Guardian of Ancient Kings 300sec CD
[50% damage reduction, lasts 12 secs]

If my math is right, I'm seeing that we could have a 61% uptime for all the buffs listed above.
DisRuptive1

Re: Yet ANOTHER cooldown in 5.2

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:05 am

Don't forget to roll Dwarf. ;)
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Thels » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 am

And if you have a Druid in your raid, you also have Barkskin. :)

But I'm not too sure about Hand of Purity. A 10% reduction doesn't seem to be that much of a CD. Compared to having LoH on a 5 minute cooldown and shorter reduction on DP... It's magic damage only, but HoPurity doesn't seem that interesting unless it also helps against dots, which are magic as well.

I'm thinking I'll stick to unbreakable spirit. I might however be more convinced to take it on my ret offspec.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby daishan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am

I'm undecided about HoPur, but I'm not certain your reading the tooltip right.

Places a Hand on the friendly target, reducing damage taken by 10% and damage from harmful periodic effects by an additional 70% for 6 sec.

The way I read it that's a flat 10% dmg reduction then a 70% dmg reduction on any DoT you have on you magic or physical.
Like you say I still think Unbreakable Spirit is better for most fights, though the change will make HoPur even better for any fight that leaves a sizable DoT on the tank.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm

HoPur is clearly superior in my eyes on ANY fight where it even works on some mechanic.
Unbreakable spirit isnt really that good imo, its just a nice thing to have since it makes us able to use DP more ofthen if we need, but you hardly rotates it asap as it goes off CD.
Some prot paladins just prefer Clemency cause it gives them more HoP/Sac, and just skip unbreakable altogether, and I see nothing wrong with that, but theres few fights where multiple HoPs are requied, but more Sacs is always nice to have for the other tank.
Im not sure if this change to HoPur will change all that much tbh, we will still use it on any fight it works on, and likely unbreakable for those fights it has no other benefit than 10% dmg reduction.
Treck

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Early on I loved Hand of Purity for learning Stone Guard (dogs put a bleed on you) and Feng (puts a DoT on you each phase). I usually just roll unbreakable spirit now that those fights are on farm.
honorshammer

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 am

So they boost HoPurity, but they also boost Unbreakable Spirit by letting Divine Protection generate Holy Power? Seems kind of counterproductive.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Schroom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 am

it amkes your choice harder :) but it really depends how exactly the 4 piece will look, also you will usually get a reduction to 45-40 seconds on the CD of DP that lasts for 10 seconds.

I guess it will really depend on the content if it is worth taking the one or the other.
Schroom

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 pm

daishan wrote:Places a Hand on the friendly target, reducing damage taken by 10% and damage from harmful periodic effects by an additional 70% for 6 sec.

The way I read it that's a flat 10% dmg reduction then a 70% dmg reduction on any DoT you have on you magic or physical.
Like you say I still think Unbreakable Spirit is better for most fights, though the change will make HoPur even better for any fight that leaves a sizable DoT on the tank.

Not to nitpick, but doesn't "by an additional 70%" mean you're getting a total damage reduction of 80% on dots?

I mean, I guess it's kind of moot, because if you're grabbing that talent, it's likely not because of the new extra 10% reduction.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 am

I wonder what they're planning. So Hand of Purity was only useful against dots. They gave it an overall boost, but it's so insignificant that likely it will still only be used against dots. It'll be a little better in dot fights, but still lackluster out of that.

Whereas Indomitable Will already seems the choice to pick, and becomes even more interesting once you have the set bonus.

Then again, this might aim at Retri and Holy, to whom Indomitable Will is kinda meh.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I wonder what they're planning. So Hand of Purity was only useful against dots. They gave it an overall boost, but it's so insignificant that likely it will still only be used against dots. It'll be a little better in dot fights, but still lackluster out of that.

Whereas Indomitable Will already seems the choice to pick, and becomes even more interesting once you have the set bonus.

Then again, this might aim at Retri and Holy, to whom Indomitable Will is kinda meh.

US makes DP available more often, and LoH available more often, but if you're using them responsively to mechanics, you may not actually be making use of the reduced cd.

Whereas HoP will always be there to be used for an additional 10% dr that can stack on top of other DR's as you need, and can be used on anyone for any mechanic, even if you don't use it on cd either. IT's a better choice scenario than what we have currently where HoP is pretty much hilariously good for fights it works on, and completely useless where it doesn't.
Darielle

Postby Fetzie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah, HoPur is ridiculously good on Megaera (fire spit), Ji-kun (both the boss DoT and the debuff from soaking puddles) and Durumu (the Arterial Cut at higher mortal strike stacks).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Zothor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 am

Fetzie wrote:Yeah, HoPur is ridiculously good on Megaera (fire spit), Ji-kun (both the boss DoT and the debuff from soaking puddles) and Durumu (the Arterial Cut at higher mortal strike stacks).

Based on the Wowhead tooltips for the three breath attacks, I actually think all three heads can be cheesed with HoPur because they're big damage spread over 3 seconds. I was actually tanking the Venom head most of the night last night on Sunday and was going HoPur for the first breath, DP for the 2nd breath, tank swap, HoPur for a third breath (if it came). Everything was back off CD by the time rampage ended. I basically never took breath damage... it was crazy awesome.
Zothor

Postby Dael » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Purity's overall raid utility in ToT makes it a very good choice for a lot of fights. Council, Megaera, Ji-Kun, Durumu, Primordius, Qon and Lei Shen all have abilities which can be greatly mitigated by it. As Treckie already pointed out, paladins of any spec would still use Purity solely for the 70% damage reduction even if it had not been buffed as it was.

While Clemency and Unbreakable Spirit have their uses, I'm rather surprised that Purity hasn't been nerfed given how much it can trivialise some encounters given enough paladins.
Dael, tanking since the warriors couldn't be bothered to do it in Hyjal.
Dael

Postby mikar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:08 am

Hand of Purity's usefulness has greatly diminished with the recent hotfix nerf.
It now doesn't work anymore on Biting Cold/Frostbite (Council), Dark Parasite (Durumu), Pathogen Glands (Primordius) and probably other dot debuffs too.

now it's back to unbreakable spirit on almost all fights for me
mikar

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents