All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

For the record. I like Orton as a QB. Always have. Thought he got a raw deal the way that Carr did in Houston. (did you know one season in Houston, Carr completed 68% of his passes?!)

So Orton.

in Chitown he was a 55% comp thrower
in Denver he was a 60% comp thrower

In both places, he lost just over 6 yards per sack. Past that, He was always better in Denver.

Snaps Per TD
26.88 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 25.02) So he was a little less than optimal, but... who were his targets?

Snaps Per INT
47.04 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 43.92) He was better than league average at not throwing INT's.

Snaps Per Fumble
131.7 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 78.42) He really didn't fumble much at all.

Snaps Per Sack
18.29 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 17.58) He didn't get sacked as often as average

Yards Per Snap
6.2 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 6.08) A little better than league average

Neg Plays Per Snap
.08 (AVG OF LEAGUE: .09) Again, a little better than league average.

Looking over all of Orton's Denver Numbers, He was pretty much the poster boy for "average" or "just a hair better than average". He wasn't amazing. But he wasn't going to go out there and kill you. He was the very definition of a game manager from that aspect.

Seriously. All of his numbers are within 3-6% of league average. That's... pretty average.

*League AVG referenced is the 2012 league average.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I thought I had posted something about this before, but apparently I hadn't. I did some work on my sheet, and figured I would give you some interesting Data.

First. The Average game by a QB this year.

21.1 / 34.62
60.95% Comp
244.96 Yards
11.61 YPC / 7.07 YPA
2.27 Sacks -14.66 Yds Lost
1.47 TDs | .91 INT
3.08 Rushing Attempts | 12.83 Yards | .13 RTD | .51 Fumbles
39.97 Meaning Snaps
25.02 Snaps Per TD
43.92 Spanps Per INT
78.42 Snaps Per Fumble
17.58 Snaps Per Sack
6.08 Yards per Snap
.09 Neg Plays Per Snap.

That would be an average game of QB stats for a team.

The Average Season for a starting Qb would look something like this.
337.66 / 553.97
60.95% Comp
3919.31 Yards
11.61 / 7.07 YPC/YPA
36.38 Sacks | -234.53 YDS Lost
23.5 TD
14.56 INT
49.25 Rushes | 205.28 Yards | 4.17 YPC
2.06 RTD
8.16 Fumble
639.59 Meaningful Snaps
25.02 Snaps Per TD
43.92 Spanps Per INT
78.42 Snaps Per Fumble
17.58 Snaps Per Sack
6.08 Yards per Snap
.09 Neg Plays Per Snap.

So. If your QB of your team (or if you want, your whole team) was better than that at something, Congratulations. If your QB or team as a whole was worse than that... Well, then maybe you suck.

It's interesting, I found someone who's stats so CLOSELY reflect those stats from this year, it's pretty crazy.

The winner of "I'm the most average of all the Qb's in the league? Carson Palmer.
8 more completions
11.03 more attempts
98.69 more yards.
.11% better completion %
.04 better YPC
.04 better YPA
1.2 worse Yards lost per Sack
1.5 Less TD's
.56 Less INT'S
Rushing is a joke, but with the new batch of runnners I expected it would be
30.59 less meaningful snaps.
1.46 more snaps per TD (that means it's worse than average)
.42 less Snaps per INT (that means worse than average)
9.42 more Snaps Per Fumble (that's a good thing)
5.84 more snaps per sack (that's a good thing)
.25 more yards per snap.
.01 better Neg Plays Per snap.

So what does that say about the stats? What does that say about Fans? What does that say about the game? Is average just simply not good enough? Are we too hard on QB's? Do you need an elite QB to win in the league?

Personally, I think it says that Average isn't good enough, and that you need to be elite to win. I don't know what it means about us fans. Maybe we are too hard on people based on outlier things besides stats. Another guy who was close was Nick Foles. I think it's safe to say we view Nick Foles with more "Promise" than we do Palmer. He may not be "the answer" in philly, but I think people at least think there is some upside there.

Now, Keep in mind, that is the sum of every single QB who played in the league this year. If you remove Everyone who played less than Alex Smith (which sadly, does remove and entire TEAM from the equation), the numbers to trend higher, but it would give you a more accurate idea of what people are looking for out of a franchise QB.

If people are interested in seeing those numbers, Let me know, and I will put them up.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am

Browns are in discussion to sell naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium to FirstEnergy, Ohio's largest Electric / Power Company.

Unsure what to think. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Will it make a difference in a sport that has a salary cap?
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Well, at least they'll thread closer to it, or be able to hire better coaches... =P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Shoju wrote:Browns are in discussion to sell naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium to FirstEnergy, Ohio's largest Electric / Power Company.

Unsure what to think. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Will it make a difference in a sport that has a salary cap?

Money does matter to an extent. The Seahawks have Paul Allen's chequebook, which bought them the Virginia Madsen Athletic Center - the finest training and practice facility in the league by a fair margin. It impresses free agents who visit and makes them slightly easier to sign.

Of course, winning is probably more persuasive, but having a world-class practice facility does help.

Contrast to Arizona where the tackling dummies are saguaro catci and the practice field is sand. Cheap organisation is cheap.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Shoju wrote:Browns are in discussion to sell naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium to FirstEnergy, Ohio's largest Electric / Power Company.

Money does matter to an extent. The Seahawks have Paul Allen's chequebook, which bought them the Virginia Madsen Athletic Center - the finest training and practice facility in the league by a fair margin. It impresses free agents who visit and makes them slightly easier to sign.

Of course, winning is probably more persuasive, but having a world-class practice facility does help.

Contrast to Arizona where the tackling dummies are saguaro catci and the practice field is sand. Cheap organisation is cheap.

Yeah, and after the breakout of Staph infection a few years back, we could use a new one. There were 5 or 6 players who ended up with a Staph infection in one season.

On Twitter, we are having fun poking at the new Browns Stadium name. I have suggested we embrace our local history.

First Energy's Burning River Field.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 pm

So not Brown Power stadium?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... wn%20Power (NSFW concept)
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Chip Kelly to the Eagles!

Makes me wonder if Oregon is about to get hit for NCAA violations.
---
Klaudandus

Postby CrimsonEyes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

You know what, Peyton is NOT below average in the playoffs. Yes, he's 9-11, but he's had about the WORST possible luck in alot of ways. Hell, more than once, he's left the field with little time left having GIVEN his team the lead, or put them in position to kick a winning/tying FG, and had the Idiot Kicker shank it.

Yes, he threw a TERRIBLE INT and cost the Broncos the game there, but that game should NEVER have gone into OT. Never, ever, EVAR. And I'm someone who's FURIOUS at him for getting my hopes up this season and seeing it end in what's becoming the trend for him, but more and more, I'm starting to see that alot of his playoff 'failures' aren't really his fault at all. I mean, seriously, look at some of the drops in the second article there. Completely inexcusable.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... elp/20868/

http://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/20 ... iticizing/
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Well, I've been putting the blame more on Fox than on Peyton.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Well, I've been putting the blame more on Fox than on Peyton.

The kneel-down call might not have been all that bad. The Broncos couldn't score in two 15-minute overtime periods, so there's certainly no assurance they could score in 30 seconds.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm

It's even before that.... They ran the ball 3 times in a row just for the hell of running it, rather than trying to get an actual 1st down.

Had they gotten a first down right before the 2min warning, they would have kept the ball and won the game. Instead, they punted it with almost 2 mins on the clock, which the ravens promptly used to march down the the field and win.

Not to mention, not moving someone to help Chump Bailey... The Ravens took advantage of the new marijuana laws cuz they kept smoking him and the rest of the secondary.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Some CFL Coach tabbed to be the Bears coach? Not familiar with CFL

And whisenhunt may be stepping in as OC for the Broncos
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Trent Dilfer was talking about the Ravens and said they were "just names on the backs of jerseys", meaning their feared defensive players were getting old and just aren't as good as they used to be.

Well, Bailey proved to be just a name on the back of a jersey. He used to be an outstanding corner, but Flacco showed no respect for the name and went straight at him.
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Chip Kelly to the Eagles!

Makes me wonder if Oregon is about to get hit for NCAA violations.

same here...and i am an oregon/state fan

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend a hoax. ND press release says he was a victim. Highly doubt that.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

I liked Adande's tweet about Jeff Ireland wanting to ask Te'o if his imaginary girlfriend was a hooker.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I wonder if his "online" girlfriend was a girl in the first place.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Flex wrote:Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend a hoax. ND press release says he was a victim. Highly doubt that.

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is? If he lied about having a girlfriend... who cares? If he was lied to about this being a real girl... who cares? Did getting additional emotional support from fans because he supposedly lost two people in his life instead of just one somehow cause him to be a better player?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:22 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Flex wrote:Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend a hoax. ND press release says he was a victim. Highly doubt that.

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is? If he lied about having a girlfriend... who cares? If he was lied to about this being a real girl... who cares? Did getting additional emotional support from fans because he supposedly lost two people in his life instead of just one somehow cause him to be a better player?

The hoax is that someone befriended him online until the point that person became his "online g/f" and then was like "oh, i am dying of leukemia".
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:55 am

So basically he is being called out for being friendly, falling in love, and then having it turn out to be a hoax. Poor guy actually.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:28 am

Nooska wrote:So basically he is being called out for being friendly, falling in love, and then having it turn out to be a hoax. Poor guy actually.

Yep. I hate ND but I feel bad for the guy

Or maybe not. Now some az cards player is saying that the chick is real...

One thing is for sure... Both manti teo's gf and nd's offense were uncovered to be a joke

If teo actually went along with the hoax, makes me wonder if he did it out of sheer publicity (attention whore) or because people ad started saying he is gay
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 am

There are a few things that are institutional issues brought forth by this.

Journalistic Ethics: A reporter for ESPN who was doing a profile of Te'o ran into the same red flags regarding the girlfriend's death that Deadspin did. He was told to let it drop by the Te'o family. The death was reported as fact in the profile.

University Standards: Compare Notre Dame's vocality regarding this to their stone silence over Lizzy Seeberg.

On a personal level the best out come if that Te'o got punked and knew nothing.

At worst it was a campaign carried out by him and his family to raise his public profile through a tragic narrative to increase both his Heisman Trophy and NFL draft strength.

His family stating they met her when she doesn't exist is a bit odd. Te'o stating that he lost his girlfriend to cancer in an interview 2 days after getting a call from her 3 months after she supposedly died is kind of awkward to the official ND and Te'o explanation.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am

I can't wait for the "30 for 30" on this. =P

At this stage, is would prolly be less embarrassing to come out of the closet for him than the alternatives:
- was complicit in the hoax, willingly duping everyone in an effort to try to garner support for a Heisman trophy
- is really really stupid to fall for such a hoax
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I like(d) Manti. I wont hold it against him if he was the victim of a hoax. I'll think he's a little gullible, but I wont think he's an idiot. A good friend of mine had a similar thing happen to him, we tried to warn him that it seemed to good to be true, but when you find someone who matches your beliefs, and seems perfect, you'll turn a blind eye to the red flags just as assuredly as you would turn a blind eye to red flags IRL.

Now, if it comes out that he was "part" of this whole hoax? I think he'll be a well deserved punchline for years to come.

I'm fearful, we're going to end up with the punchline, and not the gullible guy.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General