patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Side note: DO we know if, after switching to the 2 roll system, that Enemy Defense still reduces your chance to block?

I believe we tested it, but in any event I think it was explicitly mentioned when the new system was explained to us.

Regarding 4-piece: 5 seconds per HP makes a lot more sense than 40% per HP, I agree. That said, it's still problematic for a few reasons:

1) Turns WoG into a buff-maintenance ability. Remember all the complaining about keeping Inq up (hell, Rets still complain about it, unfairly IMO)?

2) Using WoG to maintain the 40% buff eliminates the BoG mechanic. The point of BoG is to give you one powerful WoG as a reactive ability, but not let you spam really big WoGs either. It's a good mechanic. But if you're using WoG to maintain a block buff, you're never going to have enough stacks of BoG to use it properly. A WoG without BoG is pretty weak, and arguably not worth using reactively at all (better to SotR and pray for a big absorb at that point, SotR will mitigate more damage than WoG will heal for).

3) 40% post-DR is a lot of block. We need 104.5% to block cap now. We get 13% passively from talents. Chop another 40% off of that and we're down to 51.5% block required from mastery to cap. 8% of which we have baseline, so 43.5% worth of rating. Still a lot, and probably not attainable in T15 gear yet, but frighteningly close. If you went with an all-out mastery build, dropped hit/exp caps, gemmed and reforged for mastery, you might get close. That's dangerous, for the same reasons it was broken in Cataclysm.

I like the idea of a small mitigation benefit for using WoG, but I sincerely hope it doesn't end up being strong enough to encourage us to maintain the buff.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fenris » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Asd

GC just made a post talking about t15 set bonuses

Guess which class is left out of it? XD

Anyway,since it seems they are willing to talk about them right now,i guess this is the right time to ask question like
1) Turns WoG into a buff-maintenance ability. Remember all the complaining about keeping Inq up (hell, Rets still complain about it, unfairly IMO)?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Fenris wrote:Asd

GC just made a post talking about t15 set bonuses

Guess which class is left out of it? XD

pretty much my reaction...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

Regarding:
3) 40% post-DR is a lot of block. We need 104.5% to block cap now. We get 13% passively from talents. Chop another 40% off of that and we're down to 51.5% block required from mastery to cap. 8% of which we have baseline, so 43.5% worth of rating. Still a lot, and probably not attainable in T15 gear yet, but frighteningly close. If you went with an all-out mastery build, dropped hit/exp caps, gemmed and reforged for mastery, you might get close. That's dangerous, for the same reasons it was broken in Cataclysm.

43.5% block is 26100 rating without DR, probably more like 33000 rating with DR.

Even if I converted every single point of secondary stat that I have into mastery, I would have ~20000 mastery rating including BoM. Add another 5000 for changing every gem to 320 mastery or whatever the jc gem is and I'd be at about 25000. But, that would mean that every item I had, had the full item budget dedicated to Mastery and nothing else, which isn't going to happen. I doubt we'd be able to get over 30000 Mastery Rating on our gear in T15 gear, heck I'm not sure if it'd be doable in T16.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 am

Right, but you don't actually need to get to block cap for it to be broken. Even having 80-90% chance to block is pretty broken. And 80% should be very attainable by T16.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby honorshammer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... page=7#133

- The Protection 2pc is additive. It's duration is 5sec per Holy Power. We realize there are concerns about this enabling block capping, and are keeping an eye on this, and will adjust if necessary to make sure it doesn’t happen, even later in the expansion.
- The Protection 4pc does incentivize Unbreakable Spirit. We’re considering possible revisions but want to try it like this for now. It's currently "You gain 1 Holy Power for each 20% of your health taken as damage while Divine Protection is active."
honorshammer

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 pm

The 4pc bonus seems rather worthless
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Heads up for those not following GC on twitter, Upgrade NPC foes away in 5.2, still no word on old upgrades or if its coming back.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Nooska wrote:Heads up for those not following GC on twitter, Upgrade NPC foes away in 5.2, still no word on old upgrades or if its coming back.

They'll probably be back in the smaller 5.3 patch.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nooska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm

follow up. Alreayd upgraded gear won't be touched, whether upgrades will be back later will depend on feedback and what the devs thought of it.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

It's something that fundamentally changes the way people approach gearing and valor (it makes it impossible to get full best in slot so long as Blizz regularly releases new tiers, for one thing). Not entirely surprised they're deciding to use the launch of this tier (when they weren't planning on allowing new gear to be upgraded anyway) to reevaluate.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It's something that fundamentally changes the way people approach gearing and valor (it makes it impossible to get full best in slot so long as Blizz regularly releases new tiers, for one thing). Not entirely surprised they're deciding to use the launch of this tier (when they weren't planning on allowing new gear to be upgraded anyway) to reevaluate.

He's stated that the biggest issue is hit/expertise caps and how they interact with reforging and gear upgrades. How one upgrade requires changing everything, and so on.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It's something that fundamentally changes the way people approach gearing and valor (it makes it impossible to get full best in slot so long as Blizz regularly releases new tiers, for one thing). Not entirely surprised they're deciding to use the launch of this tier (when they weren't planning on allowing new gear to be upgraded anyway) to reevaluate.

The upgradeable gear thing really has me intrigued. During T12 Progression for Dk's, you would probably have never used T12 gear. There was a gear set that you could put together that would hit and Expertise Cap you, and had a TON of Mastery from T11. If you could have gotten the Heroic Pieces, and then upgraded them twice, you probably could have had great survival stats, hit + exp soft cap, + a TON of mastery. I had always wanted to try and put the set together.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm

well, it's their own fault for making hit/exp a top priority for even more classes.

Maybe they should consider consolidating the stats by groups. Hit/Exp into "Accuracy", Dodge/Parry into "Avoidance", Haste/Crit into "Power", Mastery remains as is and Spirit is gained automatically by converting one stat into Spirit by way of a passive granted to the healing spec.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Klaudandus wrote:well, it's their own fault for making hit/exp a top priority for even more classes.

Maybe they should consider consolidating the stats by groups. Hit/Exp into "Accuracy", Dodge/Parry into "Avoidance", Haste/Crit into "Power", Mastery remains as is and Spirit is gained automatically by converting one stat into Spirit by way of a passive granted to the healing spec.

How would that change anything? Would Accuracy just not be changed by reforging or item upgrades? If so they could just do that with hit/expertise now.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General