Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 am

After this story in which Howard Bryant talks about sending his ballot in blank, people are calling for his, and any other writer who returned a blank ballot, vote to be taken away in the future.

Well, taking away someone's vote is well, fascist. What country are you in, anyway? Perhaps you should study civics instead of baseball.

Really? Fascist? I... must have missed that one in the definition. It isn't Fascism to remove a privilege offered to someone. It isn't Fascist when I ground my son for being a smart ass. It isn't Fascist when you are charged with contempt of court for being a dick. And it certainly isn't Fascist when your vote is taken away for being a smug asshole who thinks that they are the moral authority for a museum that is supposed to be about the history of a sporting event, accessible by the fans.

But, that's really where this all falls apart. We rely on Sports Writers to build a Hall of Fame for the accomplishments of players. And we do it, with an awful lot of the Hall of Fames. It isn't former players. It isn't Coaches. It isn't the fans. It's the writers. Who, I guess, are supposed to have some "super awesome gift of knowledge" because they are writing about it.

Ok, so I'll give you, that on average, the sports writer is going to have more knowledge of the game than the "average" fan. Maybe they are "better" than having the average fan doing the voting.

But the Players don't get involved, until it's an outright travesty that someone isn't in the hall. The "Senior" selection committee and so forth. That just doesn't seem right.

And like Jayson Stark said (He is probably my favorite Sports Writer) We need to decide what the Hall of Fame is supposed to be.

Personally? It's the history of the game. The "members" of the hall should be the greatest to play the game. They (the hall and voters) can claim that character is supposed to matter, but Ty Cobb, was a racist who stabbed a black man, and severely beat another, and Cy Young and Honus Wagner were both open about their racist tendencies. All 3 are in the Hall. Tom Yawkey, the owner of the Boston Red Sox, and openly bigoted, was the last owner to integrate in the MLB. He was enshrined.

Daryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden, both rampant Cocaine users, appeared on ballots.
Gaylord Perry admitted to cheating by doctoring the ball. He's enshrined.

But yet, we have, with no rules structure, had a silent agreement that anyone linked, mentioned, rumored, and "thought" to have used Roids/HGH, well... We're going to keep em out.

Yeah. That "Character" is working out great. I didn't even make a case for the gambler, or Blacksox. The Hall of Fame is a mess, Stark's right about that.

Fascist. That's what Howard Bryant said. Is there a statement that more accurately sums up the disconnect between the writers, and the fans who patronize the hall of fame?
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 am

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/andrew-b ... ds-and-hof

also worth reading... if only to show why i hate most of the writers...

Funny how he votes for Clemens and Bonds but not for McGwire...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

*facedesk*
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I get what they were going for with that line of discussion, it is just the dumbest way to ever ask it. I'm sure there is a decent chunk of Viking Fandom who think Ponder is a pussy who let down his team by not going out there with an injured passing arm. There was a good bit of discussion last year about how much Cutler let his team down by not playing through the injury.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Browns are currently interviewing Ken Whisenhunt. Again.

Because anytime you can hire a coach that lost 12 in a row, lost 58-0, AND started 4 Qb's in the same season, you just HAVE GOT TO DO IT CLEVELAND>
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm

I get it too. But like you said, it's just the way it was phrased.

I get that Cutler got a lot of flack, and as bad as it sounds, some of that flack is deserved... Cutler is known for having a notoriously bad body language...

However, at the same time, everyone could see R♿3 was a shell of himself, could barely walk and things like that... so no one would have blamed him or shanahan if they sit him and put cousins instead, specially since Cousins actually played well when shoved into the spotlight weeks prior, including a comeback victory against the ravens.

I have no doubt that the flack cutler got was in Bobby 3-sticks mind, but I think he also knew he would not have gotten that flack... I'm think he was running on bravado... trying to be the hero...

___

Well, the Jags fired Mularkey... I guess they really want to go with Tebow time!
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I get it too. But like you said, it's just the way it was phrased.

I get that Cutler got a lot of flack, and as bad as it sounds, some of that flack is deserved... Cutler is known for having a notoriously bad body language...

However, at the same time, everyone could see R♿3 was a shell of himself, could barely walk and things like that... so no one would have blamed him or shanahan if they sit him and put cousins instead, specially since Cousins actually played well when shoved into the spotlight weeks prior, including a comeback victory against the ravens.

I have no doubt that the flack cutler got was in Bobby 3-sticks mind, but I think he also knew he would not have gotten that flack... I'm think he was running on bravado... trying to be the hero...

After learning more about Cutler, his Diabetes, and how hard game days can be for him,

eat 2hrs before game, test 1hr before game, at kickoff, after 2nd series, at mid of 2nd Q, at halftime, mid third, mid 4th, and after game and then make sure to take insulin / eat as needed to keep his Blood Sugar under control (in 4-6 hours, that's almost 2 days worth of testing, plus, any corrective action that needs take)

I give him a pass on body language, and the injury thing is such a non issue for me. He was hurt, confirmed hurt (grade II MCL Sprain/Tear)
Shoju

Postby Jabari » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Shoju wrote:Browns are currently interviewing Ken Whisenhunt. Again.

Because anytime you can hire a coach that lost 12 in a row, lost 58-0, AND started 4 Qb's in the same season, you just HAVE GOT TO DO IT CLEVELAND>

Hey now, Whis is a good coach!

(As long as you have Kurt Warner for your QB :wink: )

Edit: The guy who got screwed the most by the HoF vote was Kenny Lofton...
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:40 pm

The NFL you're one "I'm injured coach" away from losing your job if your sub plays well, just look at the 49ers QB situation. Id argue that the 49ers aren't a noticeably better team with Kaepernick at QB over Smith and there have been some games where CK has been pretty bad, but Smith is done in SF. Heck, Baltimore is probably one Ray Rice injury (or playoff fumble) away from him never playing for them again.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Well, so much for Tebow with the Jags

Also, it seems ND's Kelly and Lovie Smith are talking to the Smeagols.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 am

Looks like they're going with the Chud in cleveland.

I'm a bit sad about Jags not going with the Tebow, specially they are planning to talk to Mike McCoy, the guy that actually made Tebow and Broncos work together with relative success (Tebow still had a better winning pct than Orton) =P

And if they hire McCoy, I don't think even he can fix Gabbert
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:09 am

Klaudandus wrote:Well, so much for Tebow with the Jags

Also, it seems ND's Kelly and Lovie Smith are talking to the Smeagols.

That Tebow thing could be a negotiation tactic to lower his value, or simply they don't want the circus. Or maybe they will wait for input from the new head coach.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:Looks like they're going with the Chud in cleveland.

I'm a bit sad about Jags not going with the Tebow, specially they are planning to talk to Mike McCoy, the guy that actually made Tebow and Broncos work together with relative success (Tebow still had a better winning pct than Orton) =P

And if they hire McCoy, I don't think even he can fix Gabbert

So.... Jimmy 3 Sticks, (still not as cool as Bobby 3 Sticks) and Joe Banana-er hired a boy named Chud to be the new Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns. What qualifies you to be the Head Coach of the Browns?

Well, Get Gifted Cam Newton on a silver platter, and told to "make an offense".

Oh, and then say that you want to Bring in Norv Turner as your OC. Yes. Chud wants Norv. Apparently so much that it's a done deal, except for the paperwork.

I guess it's a "good" thing? I mean Chud is supposed to be a forward thinking guy, who can tailor an offense to your strengths. At least that is what the media is trying to push it as. Norv, well, you know, when Norv was an OC, he SHAPED Troy Aikman into the QB that he became. And then promptly went off on the fail train of head coaching.

But on the other hand, did you see the backfield mess that was the Panthers this year? I personally believe that Trent Richardson is better than Hardesty. I really, don't care much for Hardesty. Are we going to see some tandem back nightmare thing where are good back (insert Trich into the DeAngelo role) gets frustrated, disillusioned in his role, and quits?

I don't know. The move doesn't make me jump up and down and say OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE WE GOT CHUDZINKSI! SUPER BOWL L (50) HERE WE COME! And I don't know about Norv. I was a teenager when he was with the 'boys as an OC. I know Troy turned out well, but I don't know if he "really" shaped him like the local media is trying to paint it. I cared about the Browns, and Eric Metcalf, and Bernie Bernie Bernie BERNIE!

Maybe it's a good thing? Maybe? Or maybe it's another string in failed hirings. What does this mean for the draft? What is our First Round pick? (#6 pick woohoo) I hope to god it's not going to be spent on one of the lame duck QB's in this draft. #6 is reaching for any of them really. Do we continue to bolster our Defense? Will we stay 4-3? go back to 3-4, and have to Retool out Front 7... Again?

Sigh (really. as I started this paragraph. I sighed. Out loud.) I just feel like this hiring brings about a lot more questions than some of the other candidates. But then, maybe I'd feel that way about anyone who wasn't a "Big" coach at this point.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 am

Of all the weekends where the weather had to be bad in Denver...

Peyton is historically bad in bad weather conditions and its currently 6F in the mile high stadium...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am

Whos playing today? (My channels teletext isn't very informative)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to General