patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 am

You have a first roll against you:

The first roll decides if the attack will miss, be dodged or parried.

If the attack is not avoided, there is a second roll:

The second roll decides whether the attack will be blocked or not. To guarantee a non-hit, you need 100% block.

Warriors get a tertiary roll to decide if a block will be critical or not.

Lets say you have 5% dodge, 20% parry, 40% block. Fairly typical avoidance and block values when raid buffed.

25% of attacks from a boss are avoided, 75% are eligible to be blocked.

40% of that 75% of attacks are blocked (= 30%). So we have a total of 25+30=55% block+avoid.

Increasing that block chance to 80% results in 60% of all attacks being blocked (0.75*0.8=0.6). So we have 25+60=85% block+avoid.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 am

Block is on a second roll, so avoidance is irrelevant. You need 104.5% block to be block-capped. Remember that a raid boss negates 4.5% dodge, parry, miss, and block. Also remember that block is on diminishing returns. You need about 207.03% block from mastery before diminishing returns to reach block cap (adding in base and spec bonuses after).

Also note that it reads 40% per Holy Power. So the bonus is probably 120% pre-DR.

You can play around with it on my Tankadin spreadsheet. You can arbitrarily add block chance in cell D16. That's equivalent to arbitrarily adding mastery. Putting in 191.19 (plus the 15.84% from mastery I have already) gets you to block cap (104.5% on char sheet) post-DR.
Last edited by theckhd on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sagara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 am

So that means a good 90% block from outside sources? Is that even conceivable - I don't see us much higher than 20%...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 am

Unless the set bonus is not affected by DR. But that seems awfully unlikely. 120% block without DR automatically block caps us. If you let it be affected by DR, 120% block (put it into cell D16) is about 60% block post-DR, which is still a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it's supposed to be 40% per 3 holy power (about 30% block post-DR).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am

Unless the "per holy power" was referring to the buff duration, not the block chance (40% block for 5/10/15 seconds instead of 40/80/120% block for 5 seconds).

The former would mean every third ShoR being replaced by a WoG to maintain the buff (would have 3-4 seconds down-time depending on haste level.
Last edited by Fetzie on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 am

Re-reading the set bonus, I'm betting donuts it'll be the time that's flexible.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 am

I certainly read it as extending the duration.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am

Fetzie wrote:Unless the "per holy power" was referring to the buff duration, not the block chance (40% block for 5/10/15 seconds instead of 40/80/120% block for 5 seconds).

The former would mean every third ShoR being replaced by a WoG to maintain the buff (would have 3-4 seconds down-time depending on haste level.

and it would be a way to give people a way to 'proactively' use WoG. Could be interesting.
benebarba

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 am

If you think about it, it wouldnt make any sense to get a buff for "120% block". It would be unintuitive.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

Worldie wrote:If you think about it, it wouldnt make any sense to get a buff for "120% block". It would be unintuitive.

Well, one could argue that the 2-roll system isn't intuitive - but they did that anyway. So I'm not sure that's necessarily a good argument.
benebarba

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

Yeah I definitely read it as 5 seconds per holy power, and not anything else per holy power.

Side note: DO we know if, after switching to the 2 roll system, that Enemy Defense still reduces your chance to block?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Newsom » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

If it was the block chance that increased it would read "40% additional block chance per Holy Power for 5 sec." - not the other way around.

But yeah, I completely forgot about the 2 roll system. Is it even going to be worth keeping up this buff?
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Fenris » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Newsom wrote:If it was the block chance that increased it would read "40% additional block chance per Holy Power for 5 sec." - not the other way around.

But yeah, I completely forgot about the 2 roll system. Is it even going to be worth keeping up this buff?

From a totally math-less point of view,i guess it might be when a big hit isn't coming up (since for that you'd still want the damage reduction from BoG)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Kihra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm

I certainly interpreted it as 40% additional block chance unaffected by DR regardless of HoPo spent. I think the HoPo is just going to affect the duration, so always +40% block for 5/10/15 seconds.
Kihra

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

A RNG set bonus is definitively a useless bonus for a tank, imo.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General