Remove Advertisements

A few haste prot questions

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

A few haste prot questions

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have a few questions regarding tanking as a Prot Paladin going Haste.

1. Are there any noticeable improvements you can see from my armory that can be made reforge / gem wise?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... Pat/simple

2. As I was perusing these boards a few weeks ago, I came upon a list of 'BiS' gear for haste Prot Paladins, or at least a list of what's good to obtain. Does anyone happen to have a link to said post, or mind listing one if they have one of their own?

3. For the final talent, I sometimes notice Paladins switching out Holy Prism for Executioner Sentence. I'm assuming this is for single target bosses only, such as Gara'Jal, etc... or am I wrong?

4. Any other reference links for haste Prot tanking would be appreciated. I know I can search, and I will, but I'd appreciate it.

Pat

Re: A few haste prot questions

Postby Kelerei » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 am

1. Are there any noticeable improvements you can see from my armory that can be made reforge / gem wise?

Only thing that I noticed was that you're way over the hit and expertise caps. Being slightly over is OK (better than being slightly under!), but you're a full 134 points over the hit cap. You may want to see if you can optimise things there: I personally use the ReforgeLite addon, but there's plenty of other options out there if it doesn't work for you.

Then, as you get more comfortable with attaining 15% expertise, it may be worth swapping the exp/haste gems out. At the moment, I'm running with pure stam in blue, stam/haste in yellow and stam/exp in red (with a few stam/exp gems still in blue back from when I was struggling with hitting the expertise cap), but that's because both myself and my healers are more comfortable with me having a lot of stamina.

The problem is: I can't give you a definite answer here. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, what your healers are comfortable with, and what your raid group requires. I'd start by chatting to your healers and/or your raid leader, then take things from there.

2. As I was perusing these boards a few weeks ago, I came upon a list of 'BiS' gear for haste Prot Paladins, or at least a list of what's good to obtain. Does anyone happen to have a link to said post, or mind listing one if they have one of their own?

I think you probably want Nikachelle's gear list. It's not restricted to control/haste tankadins (it comprehensively covers pretty much all gear that we're interested in), but it will help you out.

3. For the final talent, I sometimes notice Paladins switching out Holy Prism for Executioner Sentence. I'm assuming this is for single target bosses only, such as Gara'Jal, etc... or am I wrong?

I've never used Holy Prism up to now. Most of the time, I'm running with Light's Hammer and treating it as a mini raid cooldown (good examples to use it include Feng when he Draws Flame, and Ta'yak after the raid has completed playing frogger with the tornadoes). Execution Sentence is great on fights where you don't need to do that: Gara'jal and Will of the Emperor immediately comes to mind here, Garalon as well because everyone is moving all the time (out of the LH radius, making it not a great choice).

But once again, it's one of those "your mileage may vary" things, and no doubt you'll hear from other people doing things differently -- and there's nothing wrong with that. If Holy Prism works for you and your raid on a certain encounter (and I can definitely see use for it if you're asked to solo-tank Wind Lord Mel'jarak), it's not my place to dissuade you from using it. The only piece of universal advice that I can give you is to treat your talent and glyph choices as fluid, not set in stone. I really encourage you to swap out talents/glyphs based on the encounter mechanics as well as the requirements of your raid group as a whole. (And really, anyone can afford to carry a stack of Tome of the Clear Mind...)

4. Any other reference links for haste Prot tanking would be appreciated. I know I can search, and I will, but I'd appreciate it.

I won't give out specific links, but I'll point you to the Advanced Theorycrafting section, as well as Theck's Sacred Duty blog. If you're prepared for a pounding headache, all your questions should be answered there.

Good luck! :)
Kelerei

Postby econ21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 am

You might want to check out Fetzie's armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced

He's author of the Tankspot guide to palatanks and I happened to armory him before reading your post. I was impressed by how much haste he'd squeezed out - for example, I think he uses haste enchants on his gloves and boots whereas you've gone mastery.

One interesting suggestion from Firefly33 on MMO Champion is to consider the Ghost Iron Dragonling trinket - it's essentially 1800 points of haste (hit and expertise cogs will save you some reforges/gems).
econ21

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks guys!

The only reason I've enchanted mastery on my boots / gloves is because I was under the impression that having some mastery is okay, but as I read more into haste tanking it appears that going haste makes up for it.
Pat

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 am

It is fine, just don't go gemming and enchanting for it when you don't have to.
Lastwolf

Postby Thels » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 am

Kelerei wrote:Only thing that I noticed was that you're way over the hit and expertise caps. Being slightly over is OK (better than being slightly under!), but you're a full 134 points over the hit cap. You may want to see if you can optimise things there: I personally use the ReforgeLite addon, but there's plenty of other options out there if it doesn't work for you.

Remember that ReforgeLite on default focuses on a Control/Mastery build. If you use ReforgeLite, after selecting Protection, click Haste up once, so it's above Mastery.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kelerei » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 am

Thels wrote:
Kelerei wrote:Only thing that I noticed was that you're way over the hit and expertise caps. Being slightly over is OK (better than being slightly under!), but you're a full 134 points over the hit cap. You may want to see if you can optimise things there: I personally use the ReforgeLite addon, but there's plenty of other options out there if it doesn't work for you.

Remember that ReforgeLite on default focuses on a Control/Mastery build. If you use ReforgeLite, after selecting Protection, click Haste up once, so it's above Mastery.

Yeah, forgot about that. :P
Kelerei

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice