Remove Advertisements

Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 am

Frickin finally got a Giraffe Calf. Left with the Minfernal and Qiraji Guardian as the only pets left to catch for Kalimdor Safari and the meta achievement.

The Infinite Whelpling looks to have a strong combo of attacks. A 100% damage increase if the user has lower health than the target, a tail sweep that deals extra damage if you go second and a slow enough speed to take advantage of those combos..
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Worldie wrote:So how do you solo Razorgore anyway. Clean up the shit after every mind control, or ignore adds completely and just focus on eggs?

It really depends on what you go in with. As a paladin, I spec into Eternal Flame and Light's Hammer and cancel the MC every 20-30 seconds. There's no rush to finish the fight really.

Personally, I start with the eggs on the MC side and work away from the platform. I pretty much MC Razor the entire first 90 seconds and then afterwords, break the MC every 20-30 seconds. Kill the adds immediately in my area and before Razor gets to me, cast a 3 holy power EF and really MC. The healing agro from EF is more than enough to get and keep adds on me.

You really have to keep the adds off of Razor cause eventually, they'll just overwhelm him. And the conflag he does is not something you cast on yourself cause it really negates the purpose of canceling the MC. So you have to be quick killing the adds around you on the platform...like less than 10 seconds.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Easiest way is to just hit him with a Lay on Hands if he gets low, in tank spec your health is almost as high as his, if not higher.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jabari » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 am

Flex wrote:Frickin finally got a Giraffe Calf. Left with the Minfernal and Qiraji Guardian as the only pets left to catch for Kalimdor Safari and the meta achievement.

Wow nice! Can't get the Qiraji until summer, and I've given up on getting a Minfernal - there are always like 8 people camping that area (way more than for Onyxian or Scourged Whelplings).

Got [Raiding with Leashes] (Viscidius finally dropped its miniature), and now I'm close enough to Brood exalted I should probably just get it. (1 or 2 more weeks max) Still haven't beaten any of the Pandaria Spirit Tamers yet, need a little more variety in my 25s, particularly a good Aquatic. :(

On the bright side, I haven't seen any blatantly-bad bugs like before!
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Zobel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

Jabari wrote:particularly a good Aquatic

Eternal striders are plentiful and have a good nuke (pump) and self healing.
Zobel

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Flex wrote:Easiest way is to just hit him with a Lay on Hands if he gets low, in tank spec your health is almost as high as his, if not higher.

I could solo it np on my pala by casting sacred shield and execution sentence on him every minute or so and aoeing all the shit around me before re-MCing.

Just wondering however how to solo it with a different class that doesnt have a HoT.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 pm

I've got an Ooze at 21 with a 16 spectral cub and 11 celestial dragon. I've been grinding the ooze since he has a pair of dots and an absorb, so generally doesn't have too much trouble killing an entire team himself.

Is there some way of making the grind from 21-25 less awful? Am I better off leveling a full team at a time or working on a one-off? Is there some way other than flying around trying to find random critters to level?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I've got an Ooze at 21 with a 16 spectral cub and 11 celestial dragon. I've been grinding the ooze since he has a pair of dots and an absorb, so generally doesn't have too much trouble killing an entire team himself.

Is there some way of making the grind from 21-25 less awful? Am I better off leveling a full team at a time or working on a one-off? Is there some way other than flying around trying to find random critters to level?

Random battles and pet trainer battles. Some of the trainers (like Farmer Nishi) are easy to beat with nearly any group. Others can be soloed or duoed with particular level 25 pets (e.g. Grandmaster Aki can be soloed with an Anubisath Idol), freeing you to swap in lower level pets. Each trainer can be done once per day, and the easy ones you'll want to hit everyday. It's nice to get 5,000 xp in a couple minutes' effort.

There seems to be a certain amount of xp available each battle, split among your <25 participants. So you might as well pair one <25 pet with two 25 pets, to quicken the pace.

You can also pick your zones based on which pet type you're leveling -- that magic ooze would probably do well against all those flying bugs in the Jade Forest.
Zobel

Postby Finkum » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Jabari wrote:Still haven't beaten any of the Pandaria Spirit Tamers yet, need a little more variety in my 25s, particularly a good Aquatic. :(

I find that Snails are the best counter to the Spirit Tamer elementals. They are critters, so take reduced elemental damage, have naturally large HP pools, and have Dive, which is strong against elementals, plus you can use it to avoid telegraphed attacks. The Thundering Spirit also has a stun and a second move with a 25% chance to stun, so the critter passive is invaluable there (Thundering is definitely the toughest of the 4 to beat).

fuzzygeek wrote:I've got an Ooze at 21 with a 16 spectral cub and 11 celestial dragon. I've been grinding the ooze since he has a pair of dots and an absorb, so generally doesn't have too much trouble killing an entire team himself.

Until you have 3+ 25s, there isn't any easy way to speed up the grind. Once you do, as Zobel suggests, you can power-level a single lowbie pet by pairing it with 2 strong 25s and doing the Pandaria dailies. It's easy to get a level 1 all the way to level 25 in one set of dailies.

Typically I will do Grandmaster Aki first (swap the level 1 in when the cricket pet is healing, or when the otter is about to Dive, so it takes no damage), Farmer Nishi second (your pet will need to be at least level 2 to survive the sunflower's Sunlight attack), and then the Water Spirit third (two pets cast Tidal Wave frequently, so your pet needs to be level 12+ to survive). At this point your lowbie pet will be 17 or 18 and should be able to survive any of the other trainers with the possible exception of Thundering Spirit.
Finkum

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Finkum wrote:Until you have 3+ 25s, there isn't any easy way to speed up the grind. Once you do, as Zobel suggests, you can power-level a single lowbie pet by pairing it with 2 strong 25s and doing the Pandaria dailies. It's easy to get a level 1 all the way to level 25 in one set of dailies.

Thanks for the pointers; still working on the first 25 and will likely just buy a few 25s once I finish the ooze; on my realm a random sampling ranges from 7-15k for level 25 pets.

Or maybe not. I'm still not quite sure why I'm doing this at all, other than it's there.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

That's the best reason to do anything.
Flex

Postby Finkum » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Or maybe not. I'm still not quite sure why I'm doing this at all, other than it's there.

I've found simply climbing the realm pet battle score ladder (as measured by wowprogress) oddly addictive. Apart from that, the Thundering Spirit Tamer fight is difficult enough that trying out new pet and ability combinations to see if I can find the perfect counter is fairly engaging too.
Finkum

Postby Newsom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:55 pm

I found the most efficient way to level pets after 5.1 was to use two rare 25 DPS moths (high damage stats) to boost whatever I wanted to level up by just running around battling all the aquatics in Vale.

Since moths are flying they will be super effective against aquatic, and they also have an ability called Alpha Strike which deals extra damage if you go first, which you will 90% of the time thanks to the flying 50% speed bonus. One moth can usually 2-shot any of the aquatics there with Alpha Strike while taking minimal damage. Leveled probably 50+ of my pets to 1-25 this way.
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Zobel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 pm

When they hotfixed the trainers last month to prevent you from fighting them multiple times per day (by abandoning and re-accepting the quest), they forgot to hotfix the Darkmoon Faire pet trainer. They still have. As long as you don't turn in the quest, you can keep stuffing him full of tokens.
Zobel

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am

Got 3 of the 4 Spirit Tamer pets over the weekend and got up to 469 total pets.
Used Pet Battle Teams to build up teams for my trainer route, EK and Kalimdor grandmaster trainers, all Outland trainers and the Cataclysm trainers. I can substitute whatever pet I'm leveling into the free slot and get from 10 to 25 doing the trainers.
The Minfernal spawn rate is horrible.
Level up some Bandicoons for handling the undead tamers in Northrend.
Major Payne is the hardest tamer in the game.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General