Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am

I know Tyrod Taylor and Brock Ossweiler played last week, but I know they had a few snaps as well in Week 16
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 am

I have (I believe) cataloged every single snap taken by a QB this year. All 20467 Pass Attempts, Rushing Attempts, and Sacks, taken by a staggering 63 Quarterbacks this season. Here is some SHOCKING data. We'll start with the not so shocking data.

To keep the list "relevant", I made a cutoff in "Meaningful Snaps". I left as many people as I could on, but Ryan Lindley was the cutoff at 187 Meaningful Snaps. That means David Carr, Kellen Clemens, Tyler Thigpen, Derek Anderson, Dan Orlovsky, Graham Harrell, Kyle Orton, Ryan Mallet, Brock Osweiler, TJ Yates, Matt Flynn, Shaun Hill, Colt McCoy, Matt Leinart, Thad Lewis, Terelle Pryor, Tim Tebow, Tyrod Taylor, Greg McElroy, Kirk Cousins, Byron Leftwich, Bryan Hoyer, Jason Campbell, and Charlie Batch, are not included in these rankings. It would skew some of the data, mainly because none of the QB's I just listed garnered 100 Meaningful Snaps. Some of them, like Ryan Mallet were Kneel Down Whipping Boys, while others, like Kyle Orton boasted 90% comp numbers (on 9 of 10 passing!)

11 QB's threw for more than 4000 yards this year.
Drew brees
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Peyton Manning
Andrew Luck
Aaron Rodgers
Josh Freeman
Carson Palmer
Matt Schaub

The league's new rules to increase offense, seem to be working.

Here are some more interesting numbers. QB's are being asked to do a LOT. and the ones being asked to do a lot aren't terrible surprising, save for Spot #2.

Meaningful Snaps
Matthew Stafford
Andrew Luck
Tony Romo (complete)
Drew brees
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Cam Newton
Peyton Manning
Josh Freeman

Yes. That's Andrew Luck in 2nd place. Not only was he drafted #1, but he was asked to do the absolute MOST out of any of the rookies.

Now, We know that there is a new trend in the league to have a QB who can pick up yards with more than just his arm. I for one, believe that it's the wave of the future in the NFl. I don't think that there will be many "Pocket Passers" in the not too distant future. Maybe not RGIII's for all, but Let's see what the numbers say.

The next list is the top 10 Total Yards QB's in the league. This is Yards Passing + Yards Rushing - Yards Sacked.

Drew brees
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Peyton Manning
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Aaron Rodgers
Josh Freeman

Interesting. The only "running" QB to break into the top 10 this way was Mr. Newton. But have no fear, RGIII ended up #13 on the list. So maybe the league still needs an arm, but we'll see. Maybe it's just a pipe dream of mine. Or maybe, there is something to it. When adjusting the list for "Total Yards", you see that Cam jumps on the list, ahead of Rodgers, Freeman, Palmer and Schaub who threw for 4k.

But if you look a little further into Total Yards, Schaub actually falls even further, with Eli and RGIII getting ahead of him on the list. This is because Schaub can't run (he finished with negative rushing yards this season) While Manning doesn't get sacked much, and RGIII can run. That's an interesting Jump/Fall.

Has anyone else noticed that Luck has appeared on the three lists so far? Most Passing Yards, Most Yards Total, and Most meaningful Snaps? Let's see how that continues....

Next up, Let's look at Snaps per TD. This, if you haven't been paying attention is how many Snaps it takes (on average) for a QB to get a Touchdown, by either Running, or Passing. The lower the number, the better.
Aaron Rodgers
Drew brees
Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Colin Kaepernick
Andy Dalton
RGIII
Matt Ryan

Rodgers is a beast at 16.02. Matty Ice clocked in at 20.52 Interesting, we have 2 rookies on this list! RW did it every 17.33 Snaps, and RGIII did it every 20.11 (his last game killed his number). This rookie class is making a huge impact on the number. For reference, Andrew Luck was a lowly #21, with a 26.07.

Who throws TD's the least often?
Ryan Lindley
Brady Quinn
John Skelton
Matt Cassell
Nick Foles
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Mark Sanchez
Matt Hasselbeck
Blaine Gabbert

Ooh boy. I see some names. Quinn and Cassell are on the same team. Is it a shocker they sucked this year? What about Lindley Skelton? Wow... So. Lindley didn't get a single TD this year. Of the others who did, Quinn did it every 118.5 snaps. That's... wow. Skelton was a 110! After that it drops off SIGNIFICANTLY #4 was Cassell at 46.14, and Gabbert was 35.33 to round out the list. Something

Now, lets look at Snaps Per INT. This, you want to be a BIG number the bigger the better.
RGIII
Colin Kaepernick
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Kevin Kolb
Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Peyton Manning
Alex Smith

Holy Crap! Look at all the fresh faces on that list! RGIII and Foles are both rookies, Colin K is a 2nd year guy (even though he would be a Rookie in baseball based on amount of playing time last year). There are 2 guys from the same team with Colin and Alex, that bodes well for a team, especially when the change is made mid season right? But back to the numbers, RGIII throws an INT ever 108.6 Snaps, Alex Smith, a flat 54.6. RGIII was the only QB over 100, Colin, the only QB in the 90's (99), Brady and Rodgers in the 80's, and then it trickles down from there.

How about.... Who was the WORST at Snaps per INT?

Skelton
Lindley
Cassell
Sanchez
Quinn
Henne
Weeeden
Locker
Fitzpatrick
Cutler

So uh... Skelton was just bad. 24.44 Snaps per INT. That's awful. Cutler was 36.64. That means that the rest of the league fell in between 54.6 and 36.64. That's a lot of Qb's clumped in a small window.

Speaking of being fail with the ball, let's look at Snaps per Fumble. Colin K had a hot hand for sure. He tops the list of being bad at fumbling the ball.

Colin Kaepernick
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Michael Vick
Phillip Rivers
Matt Cassell
RGIII
John Skelton
Josh Freeman
Ryan Lindley

Those are the worst of the worst. Colin did it every 33 snaps. Lindley, every 62.33. Sanchez and Foles were the only other Qb's with numbers in the 30's, but we see that Foles and Vick were both on the list. And we see RGIII hit the list. Ouch.

So let's talk who had the best hands.

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Brady Quinn
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton
Matt Schaub
Drew brees
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo

And these numbers are CRAZY Brady and Manning fumble so few times, their numbers made me think I did it wrong at first. 343.5 for Mr. Brady, and 313.5 for Mr. Manning. They just don't fumble. But then, Quin and Ryan were both in the 200's, Romo bottoms out the list at 119.

Snaps Per Sack. I said before I'm not sure if I like this stat, because it isn't always a QB's fault when they get sacked. But on average, these Qb's stayed upright the most.

Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
Drew brees
Matthew Stafford
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Josh Freeman
Carson Palmer
Matt Schaub
Brandon Weeden

Wow... Another Rookie on a good list?! Could have fooled me... But then, that just shows you that Weeden can't blame a bad O line for some of his problems. Eli tops the list at 30.26. He just doesn't get sacked much. neither does Peyton with a 29.86. Weeden bottoms the list at 20.43. Incidentally, no other QB in the league was above 20.

Who got sacked the most? Well, I'm glad you asked!
Kevin Kolb
Brady Quinn
Alex Smith
Phillip Rivers
Chad Henne
Aaron Rodgers
Andy Dalton
Jay Cutler
Blaine Gabbert
John Skelton

Look at that! more Qb's from the same team. Maybe Arizona needs a new Oline as a late Christmas Present. Kolb got murdered. Every 8.37 Snaps some big mean Defensive player was putting him down. Skelton, every 14.67.

Well, let's look at Yards per Snap.

Peyton Manning
Colin Kaepernick
Drew brees
RGIII
Matt Ryan
Tom Brady
Cam Newton
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Russell Wilson

Peyton posted a total that is better than his career average at 7.22. Colin K and Drew Brees were the only others above 7. RGIII was close at 6.99 and RW rounds out the top 10 at 6.55 Something I do find interesting? Colin K, RGIII, Cam, and RW are all young, dynamic QB's. They get good YPS, and they are oh right. YOUNG. That's interesting. For the record, Luck was 6yps.

Who were the worst YPS?
Ryan Lindley
Brady Quinn
John Skelton
Blaine Gabbert
Kevin Kolb
Christian Ponder
Matt Hasselbeck
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Phillip Rivers

Wow. 3 ARZ QB's. 2 Rookies. a couple of last years Rookies. Sanchez and Rivers. Rivers was at 5.53. Lindley? I uh... Well... I'm trying to keep a straight face. 3.57 WOW. That's terrible. That's AWFUL. That's hysterical.

One last set of numbers and I'm done for now. Neg Plays Per Snap. The top 10 doesn't really surprise me.
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Eli Manning
Drew brees
Matt Schaub
Carson Palmer
Josh Freeman
Tony Romo

Brady and Manning sport .05 each. Romo, is the beginning of the .09 club. (where Luck, RGII, Weeden, and Wilson also hang.

The worst NPPS? Not really a shocker either.
Kevin Kolb
Phillip Rivers
Mark Sanchez
John Skelton
Brady Quinn
Chad Henne
Matt Cassell
Ryan Lindley
Alex Smith
Jay Cutler

SURPRISE! Kolb hit .14, Cutler, .12
Kolb sucks. Rivers is baffling. Sanchez is going to be unemployed. The rest are has been sort of nobodies who filled in, backed up, lost jobs, or were Jay Cutler.

.09 seems to be the average. I will post some more interesting tidbits later. For now, I'm back to work, my e-mail server is finished archiving.
Shoju

Postby Jabari » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 am

Yay for Cardinals fans?

Oh, wait. I am one.

/sadface
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

Jabari wrote:Yay for Cardinals fans?

Oh, wait. I am one.

/sadface

Hey, Reid is saying he can fix Kolb.

G'luck with that.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Ooh! I found some more nifty numbes sifting through my sheet.

Yards Lost per Sack.

These guys lose the least yards per sack.
Andy Dalton
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Michael Vick
Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Christian Ponder
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
Andrew Luck

These guys lose the most yards per sack.
Matt Schaub
Carson Palmer
Ryan Lindley
Matt Ryan
Matt Hasselbeck
Matthew Stafford
Drew brees
Tony Romo
RGIII
Blaine Gabbert

Dalton loses just less than 5 yards per sack at 4.98. Schaub loses the most, at 8, and he loses a 1/3 of a yard more per sack than Palmer. Gabbert, loses 7.18, and Luck lost 6.

One last tidbit of knowledge. Luck had the third worst Comp% in the league for people with more than 100 MS at 54.07% (He is dead last if you only look at Qb's who started 10+ games. Alex Smith had the highest at over 70% (70.18) Of people who were the primary starter (since Smith got benched) Matt Ryan clocked in a 68.62% comp rate. Pretty frekking awesome if you ask me.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Did you factor out YAC?

<ducks>
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Koatanga wrote:Did you factor out YAC?

<ducks>

If there were a place where I could get the information of how many YAC's a QB was the recipient of, without having to dig through every single person he threw the ball to individually, I wouldn't be opposed to it, or finding a place that would allow me to directly query their stat DB. Sadly, I've not found a place that will allow me to do that.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:54 pm

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/i ... ges-coming

cant stand stephen a smith and skip, but they had me lol'ng

specially because if they're right about the situation at dallas, it just makes more drama, which i love -- cuz i hate the boys
---
Klaudandus

Postby Kelerei » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am

halabar wrote:
Kelerei wrote:Meanwhile, in another part of the world: I was planning on picking up tickets for Day 4 (Saturday -- I'm stuck at work!) for the SA vs NZ test match. I think I now need to come up with another plan after this...

One of these days you should explain the game in brief for us, but I get the impression that it would be like a 300 inning baseball game. Or a 30 inning game where you got 20 outs per inning. Or something like that..

Easy. You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Well, that's the tongue-in-cheek version anyway. Here's a more thorough explanation. ;) (And then, when you'd like to see it, here's highlights from Day 1.)
Kelerei

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 am

My head exploded trying to understand that. I got to the part about protecting wickets, and strokes, and not needing to run, and I'm just.... yeah, I don't get it.
Shoju

Postby Maverick13 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 am

Lol was just about to post the comedic version of the rules of cricket,

my claim to fame is managing to explain the rules of cricket to a female american that she managed to pull an aussie who was stunned by her knowledge of the beautiful game ... nothing to do with the size of her..... honest.
Maverick13

Postby halabar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 am

Not really that complicated... that first link answered the basics. :wink:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 am

Ohh, so cricket is a mens only sport (or are there different rules for women?) ;)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

The Jets season summed up in a 3 and a half minute clip: http://youtu.be/wL2o4MJqD9g

Bonus: Yakkety Sax
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Klaudandus wrote:The Jets season summed up in a 3 and a half minute clip: http://youtu.be/wL2o4MJqD9g

Bonus: Yakkety Sax

3 and a half minutes of buttfumble?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General