All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:17 am

Teranoid wrote:Yeah I was just reading a post where people were blaming Cutler forgetting that he spent half this season running for his life.

Pretty much this. Feel bad for Lovie =(
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

Calling Shoju... compare Romo and Rivers. I see similarities, but Romo gets a lot more heat. Is it just the market?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am

halabar wrote:Calling Shoju... compare Romo and Rivers. I see similarities, but Romo gets a lot more heat. Is it just the market?

The JJ factor is huge.

Alfred Morris had the third best yardage by a rookie RB in NFL history and in any other year would be a strong ROTY candidate, just shows how strong the QB class was.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 pm

halabar wrote:Calling Shoju... compare Romo and Rivers. I see similarities, but Romo gets a lot more heat. Is it just the market?

He's too busy celebrating Shurmur getting canned.
Teranoid

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

It's more about the types of failures Romo has had. He just seems to make big mistakes at crucial times, and yesterday he did it again. I believe the stat that Collinsworth cited yesterday is that he's 1-7 in "elimination" games, and my guess is that you'd see quite a few late game Ints (or dropped snaps) in those losses. I guess he's 1-8 now with another terrible late int.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Cards: Wisenhunt and GM Graves out as well
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
It's more about the types of failures Romo has had. He just seems to make big mistakes at crucial times, and yesterday he did it again. I believe the stat that Collinsworth cited yesterday is that he's 1-7 in "elimination" games, and my guess is that you'd see quite a few late game Ints (or dropped snaps) in those losses. I guess he's 1-8 now with another terrible late int.

But it seems to me that Rivers has had similar failures (or was it just Turner?)

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Turner would fail to motivate an army of zombies to eat brains
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 pm

This is Matt Ryan's year to show he isnt a Romo. If they end up one and done again might be time for them to move on.

Turner is the worst. Might be a good fit in cleveland. Completely pedestrian and nonthreatening with zero chance of ever being good
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:18 am

halabar wrote:But it seems to me that Rivers has had similar failures (or was it just Turner?)

Maybe. I did a quick look and Rivers is like 3-4 in the post season. Given that the chargers usually start slow, I'd guess that SD has won some late season elimination games too.

The thing with Romo though, isn't that he has bad days in big games, he just throws interceptions when they are going on a game winning drive, or more famously drops the ball while holding for a chip shot game winning field goal. He just seems to find a way to be the reason they lose the big game, it's uncanny.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Sorry, I'm out and about. i will post the comparison tomorrow when I'm back to a comp that has my sheet on it.

And while I'm pleased about Shurmur, I'm pretty unhappy about Heckert, and the Browns Press Conference yesterday was a joke. They are going to have a patsy of a GM, because he has to answer to Joe Banner, AND the Coach. And they want to get a huge coach like Saban, but let's be realistic. That's not fucking happening.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Congratulations to the 49ers on winning the NFC West on Sunday and eliminating themselves from the playoffs on Tuesday by signing Billy Cundiff.
Teranoid

Postby Kelerei » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:39 am

Meanwhile, in another part of the world: I was planning on picking up tickets for Day 4 (Saturday -- I'm stuck at work!) for the SA vs NZ test match. I think I now need to come up with another plan after this...
Kelerei

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:52 am

Kelerei wrote:Meanwhile, in another part of the world: I was planning on picking up tickets for Day 4 (Saturday -- I'm stuck at work!) for the SA vs NZ test match. I think I now need to come up with another plan after this...

One of these days you should explain the game in brief for us, but I get the impression that it would be like a 300 inning baseball game. Or a 30 inning game where you got 20 outs per inning. Or something like that..

halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 am

Ok, So Romo Vs Rivers. Or the battle of who squanders their talents more.

Meaningful Snaps:
Romo - 714
Rivers - 603
I post these numbers for two reasons. First, That's a TON of meaningful Snaps for Romo. He'll end up in the top 5 once I get the full league numbers entered (might be a bit, First of the year and all at work keeps me busy)

Snaps Per TD:
Romo - 24.62
Rivers - 23.19

Snaps Per INT:
Romo - 37.58
Rivers - 40.2

They are both pretty bad Turnover Machines. For comparison to another "Pass a lot" QB, Manning is at 54.36 Snaps per INT this season.

SNaps Per Fumbles:
Romo - 119
Rivers - 40.2

That's a huge number. Rivers is 3 times more likely to fumble.

Snaps Per Sack:
Romo 19.83
Rivers 12.31

They both get sacked..... A LOT. Holy Hell. Those are bad numbers. Eli Manning Sports a 30.72, Peyton a 28.48, Brady gets an even 25.

Yards per Snap:
Romo - 6.57
Rivers - 5.53

Romo got a yard more per snap this season. That 6.57 will probably end up ~10th in the league. That's not a bad number.

Neg Play Per Snap. Or the "How likely am I to suck when I get the ball"
Romo - .09
Rivers - .13

.09 is not "good", but it's not a Fucking .13 either. There were 13 QB's in the league this year that sported a .09 (through week 16). Romo, RW, Big Ben, Josh Freeman, Hassellbeck, RGIII, Weeden, Flacco, Tannehill, Ponder, Cam, Bradford, and shockingly, Aaron Rodgers.

Who was in the .13 realm of suckfest? John Skelton, Mark Sanchez, Phillip Rivers, and Kevin Kolb (.14!)

Care to help me with my rankings? I'm terribly busy, and could use a little help. Can someone tell me if there were any other QB's that played the final week of the season who hadn't played yet this season? I know Thad Lewis (I'm curious to dissect his numbers), but wasn't sure about the others. I was in family land, so I only got to watch the Browns, and the 'boys/Skins game. If you can give me any new names, I can get them added to my data set, and pull the numbers.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General