Patch 5.1

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.1

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 am

So.......where does the Pandaria Emperor live?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelerei » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 am

Fenrìr wrote:So.......where does the Pandaria Emperor live?

Suppose it depends on your definition of "Pandaria Emperor". The pandaren haven't had an emperor since Shaohao at the time of the Great Sundering -- if you've done Lorewalkers, you'll know what that story is; if you haven't, I'm not going to spoil it. :wink:

As for Lei Shen (the mogu Thunder King), we haven't seen him since the Kun-Lai storyline. I guess he'll be a raid boss in the near future though...
Kelerei

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 am

eh, I didn't really pay attention to any of that, lol.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 am

Next Chapter, Ally side

The Harmonic Mallet

This one was kinda fun - not a whole lot story-wise, but begins to lay the groundwork of the alliance effort to stop Garrosh from using the bell or at least counteract it. Though I did kind of wonder where the Monkey King's friends were going to be... the dude was trapped 10,000 years ago based on his comments.

***** SPOILERS *********
It was not long after the... purge... that Taylor had another task for me. Anduin Wrynn had apparently slipped away from his capable bodyguard to pursue a lead: an item that would counter the Divine Bell. I was to find him, and make sure he didn't get into too much trouble.

On ride to the Tomb of Conquerers, Fennie was her usual perky self. She had apparently heard about the Bell being stolen, and that 'Jaina's still in shock'... certainly one way to put it. She then went on to say that Proudmoore had the right to throw the Sunreavers out of Dalaran. I listened quietly, not wishing to broach the topic, nor ask if Fennie thought she had the right to incinerate them where they stood. Perhaps word of what happened hadn't spread amongst our ranks as far as I imagined it would.

We landed softly in the quiet mountain gorge that housed great mogu tombs. Anduin stood just inside the shelter of one great doorway. We spoke for a moment about his reason for being in this place: he'd found evidence that the pandaren had created a special mallet intended to be used on the Diving Bell. When used, the pandaren were able to create 'pure harmony'. Of course, the mallet had been stolen and apparently ferreted away by a hozen chieftain of old: The Monkey King. Fortunately, this Monkey King had been entombed in jade during a duel with a mogu known as "The Jade Warlord".

As we ventured deeper into the tomb, we came to a series of halls and rooms littered with life-like jade statues of armed hozen and mogu: poor wretches preserved in their final struggles, some fighting, some fleeing, and some simply panicking or trying to hide from some unknown wrath. Finally, we came before a large platform and upon it stood two figures encased in jade: a powerfully built mogu striking out at a heavily decorated hozen. Anduin nodded: we'd reached our destination.

The prince had learned of an incantation that would release the creatures from their jade prisons, but it would release both of them. I gathered the power of The Light around me as he began his incantation. A rain of sparks gently floated down from some unseen source, and where they landed the jade turned to vapor. The hozen stumbled back and lept from the platform with more energy than I'd have imagined possible for someone entombed for ten thousand years, proclaiming his return in a way only a hozen could. He briefly glanced at us, then immediately returned his gaze to the mogu, who had just been freed and screamed out for vengeance against the 'hozen rebels'.

As the mogu's looked to us, I stepped forward and challenged him. His jade polearm sliced through the air effortlessly, but The Light empowered and protected me. He was no match for our combined might, but neither did he shrink from the combat. Soon his form lay motionless on the ground, his jade weapon shattered. The Light had brought rest to his soul in this garden of the dead.

Finally, we turned our attention to the hozen. He, in customary form, would not provide a straight answer. He would only provide us aid if we could perform three tasks that he presented as riddles.

I really dislike hozen.

The riddles were spoken:

"Softly singing a song of pain, there is a creature tortured and lame. Way down south and beyond the wall, it hides from its wicket masters' call. Seek out the creature sad and somber. And free it from its untamed amber."

The second wasn't so much a riddle as a request for what sounded like a terrible drink: Metal Brew, from the Jade Forest, at the Shrine of Fellowship. Apparently, I was to ring a gong... though his words carried a warning that I may have to fight for the brew.

"The mallet you seek is not a toy for children, It calls trouble like the song of a siren. A test of strength the Monkey King will require, Before you receive this tool of your desire." … Apparently, he wished us to face some challenger at the Temple of the White Tiger.

Anduin pulled me aside and whispered in my ear: he would try to lead the "King" back to Lion's Landing and see if he could persuade him to volunteer the information. In the meantime, I'd better start solve the riddles in case that didn't work.

My first stop was the Temple of the White Tiger. I followed the poetic instructions to the letter, and to my surprise I saw that my challenger was none other than the Monkey King himself. Clearly, this hozen knew a trick or two. It was a friendly match, I apparently passed the test.

The next stop was the Shrine of Fellowship. I quickly found the gong (bell, really), amongst the sculpted trees and bridges. I walked to the bell, and struck it. Its ring was somehow still peaceful, despite disturbing the silence of the shrine. A pandaren monk, calling himself Sam the wise, soon appeared. The drink I sought was an ancient recipe, and reserved for friends to share after battle. He wished to have a friendly duel in order for me to receive the brew, and so I obliged. The monk was nice enough to provide a keg and allow me to take a large draught for myself, but I was sure to leave a bit for the Monkey King. In short order, I was on my way to my next destination: The Dread Wastes.

Southwest of the Valley of the Four Winds, at the base of The Spine was a small rise. Upon it skittered a great ambertail scorpid, as yet untamed by the mantid. It protected a sizable chunk of amber. Drawing upon The Light, I slew the creature and hoped that this bit of amber would appease the Monkey King.

With the tasks accomplished, I returned to Lion's Landing and approached the prince and the Monkey King. Indeed, I had completed the tasks sufficiently to appease the Monkey King. He had found us worthy of his knowledge of the mallet: it had been broken into pieces and hidden. He would summon his friends to aid us in reassembling the mallet in hopes of letting us prevent the use of the Divine Bell for evil ends.

Anduin assured me that this process of finding this long 'dead' hozen's friends would likely take some time, and so I returned to my farm. There I found a letter from Connelly, insisting that I should protect the prince because he'd gotten in over his head. As though I would have thought to do differently? I suppose SI:7 agents are not known for their trust, and so didn't dwell too much on it.
***** END SPOILERS *****
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

Kelerei wrote:

Suppose it depends on your definition of "Pandaria Emperor". The pandaren haven't had an emperor since Shaohao at the time of the Great Sundering -- if you've done Lorewalkers, you'll know what that story is; if you haven't, I'm not going to spoil it. :wink:

As for Lei Shen (the mogu Thunder King), we haven't seen him since the Kun-Lai storyline. I guess he'll be a raid boss in the near future though...

Yep, but we still hear plenty about groups 'waiting for the Thunder King's return'... apparently the Zandalari haven't gotten around to sending a memo.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 am

Kelerei wrote:

Wait... isn't he the one standing on top of the hill surrounded in a cloud when you are doing the ShadowPan daily where you free some of the cloud serpents by riding them and then smacking them?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Final Chapters, Alliance Side

For the horde side folks, I would recommend checking out the wowpedia page for these quests to see the actual in-game script. I included the ones that got the gist across, but there's some interesting tidbits in there depending on how much you want to read into it.

Though this did bring up an interesting question... what aspects of our abilities are 'canon'?

So I can resurrect people who've been turned into paste, eviscerated, frozen, and pretty much everything short of diving into the Maelstrom. I can heal myself or anyone else from death's door to full health (or pretty close). But yet you have NPCs in the lore dying, nearly dying, or being maimed because otherwise the story would lack a certain drama. WTF, mate? Is this like the princess bride where we really can only help people who are a little dead or mostly dead?

**** SPOILERS *****
With the Monkey King appeased, we were able to find the pieces of the mallet: one held by Ingoo Ingoo XVII, chieftain of Unga Ingoo, and the other by a Virmin in the Valley of the Four Winds. However, assembling the pieces alone was not enough: a special ointment was necessary to bless the weapon in order for it to counteract the Divine Bell. This ointment had paradoxically become the favored poison of a mogu assassin known only as The Blade.

Empowered by The Light, these foes fell before me, and the Monkey King reassembled the mallet. We had our weapon at last. But there was a catch: we only had enough ointment for one attempt and time was running short. A large body of Horde troops had already been seen moving toward northern Kun Lai, and there had been sporadic sightings of Kor'kron soldiers at the Emperor's Reach, beyond the mountains in the Mogu'Shan Vaults... and I had thought we had exorcised the evil from that place.

Anduin insisted that we leave at once, hoping we could disable the bell before its effects spread to far. I advised against such a rash action, as we'd only have one chance and we weren't entirely clear on what the mallet would do or when it should be used. But I'd seen the boy dash to the front for lesser tasks, so I was not surprised when Taylor pulled me aside hours later and told me that the mallet and the prince were missing.

My duty was clear: go protect my prince. Taylor wished me to stop Anduin, but in my heart I knew that I would stand with him to my last breath if it would prevent the chaos the bell promised. I could not promise that I would stop him.

Fennie flew me as fast as she could push her kite to go. As we rounded the last peak and approached the terrace, I could just make out a great bell at the center of the platform where I had helped slay the troll spiritbinder Garajal and his minions. Again, I would call upon The Light in a desperate fight in this terrible yet beautiful place.

As I crept toward the terrace, I made out the shape of the Prince. He must have heard my approach, and perhaps knew that I'd come, because he looked towards me with determined eyes and motioned me closer. He hoped he could talk sense into Hellscream, and I must have given away my doubts, as he hefted the mallet to indicate the alternative.

We could overhear Garrosh Hellscream bellowing to his assembled soldiers… orc soldiers:
"We are the HORDE. We are slaves to nothing and no one! With the Divine Bell, I will burn away any remnants of weakness within us. Fear... despair... hatred... doubt. The lesser races are buried beneath their weight. But WE will control their power." The fact that he spoke this with only orcs present did not escape me.
"Together, we will destroy the Alliance and claim what is rightfully ours. Let our song of victory begin, " he said, striking the bell with his mighty axe.

There was little sound - but a powerful wave could be seen spreading from the bell. The change was slow to come at first, but soon the platform had become covered in an unnatural black mist, the same indication of Sha influence I'd seen all over Pandaria. The mighty Kor'Kron surrounding Hellscream and Ishi faired better than the lesser orc soldiers who were immediately taken by the Sha. Soon, the lesser orcs had turned on one another, as the Kor'Kron held them back.

Garrosh screamed, "This is but a test of our strength. We will pass this trial, just as we have passed others!" and struck the bell again.

Anduin had stood up and shouted at Hellscream to stop. By this point the Kor'Kron had been taken, and had turned towards Anduin's voice. I called upon The Light and charged into their bulk. As I fought, I could hear Hellscream laugh and yell "So in the end, it is not Varian, but his whelp who comes to face me. You run bravely to your death, young one!". Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen that Anduin had approached the bell. before he'd made it across the platform, I had laid to rest the last possessed Kor'Kron soldier, just in time to hear Garrosh ring the bell one last time.

This time, it was the warrior Ishi who was taken by the Sha. Before he could attack the prince, I stepped into his path. The Sha twisted him, and he seemed to lose control: his mouth spoke, and his body attacked beyond his own power. He was like a man crazed as he fought. He dared Hellscream to answer if the Horde could survive another war. He asked how much more they would suffer before they could know peace. Hellscream promised that their suffering was at an end, that the Horde would prevail because they must. At some point, Ishi's anger broke his mind: and he asked of Hellscream why they must be slaves to honor and why they could not kill the children of the Alliance in their beds. It was now Hellscream's answer that shocked me: "Control your hatred, Ishi. There is killing, and then there is murder. Direct your rage to our enemies."

Finally, Ishi fell to the ground, bleeding and released by the Sha. As I stepped toward him, he looked to me and spoke: "At night, I see the faces of all those I have slain. Where do our spirits go after our bodies lay cold? I fear... death." His last words were to Hellscream, "I have failed you."

"Yes, Ishi. You have," was all Hellscream said. He then turned to me and finally locked onto Anduin and screamed: "You have cost me a great warrior this day. You shall pay with your life!"

In defiance, the prince jumped forward and rang the bell with the mallet. The change was fast in coming: a feeling of peace overtook the platform, washing away the taint of the Sha. The event was so stunning I hardly noticed the crack form in the bell. Hellscream became enraged. He dove toward the bell and Anduin, weapon raised. I tried to run bodily into Hellscream to protect the prince... but I was not fast enough. He landed and with a great blow crushed the bell and its carrier, trapping Anduin in the rubble. I had not seen if the blow hit the prince or the bell.

I had failed my prince. I could not protect him. With all of the power of The Light, I wasn't able to do my duty.

As I got back to my feet from the shock of the attack, Garrosh mounted a Wyvern and left me with my shame.

I ran to the rubble, and found the prince. His body was shattered, but he was still alive! My healing skills were barely enough to keep him from dying as we returned to Lion's Landing. Fennie was silent. Admiral Taylor was visibly affected by the events, but acknowledged that we had succeeded.

I had been praying next to the prince's bed when the king arrived with Jaina Proudmoore. I stood up, not looking at Proudmoore, and faced the king trying to muster the best bearing I could. He thanked me for my aid, and reassured me that we had won a mighty victory. His eyes indicated compassion, sadness and not a little anger. But that anger was not at me: it was leveled squarely at Garrosh Hellscream. The king dismissed me, and as I left I heard Proudmoore promise bloody retribution before storming out.
**** END SPOILERS *****
benebarba

Postby Flex » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:22 pm

The double rep on alts is pretty awesome. 2 days of questing on my hunter and I'm 3K into honored.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Previous

Return to General