Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 pm

My alt got the 4 pc bonus before my main... slightly amused about it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am

Zalaria wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I feel bad for our australian friends
http://www.news.com.au/national/tea-par ... 6537489379

"[...] also claims gay marriage could lead to Muslim polygamy."

That makes my head hurt.

Yes.. because muslim polygamy (which stems from sharia and traditions as old as Abraham) is very tolerant of gay marriages..?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Amirya » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Glyph of Confession on a newly returned player who doesn't know what it does, and couldn't figure out why she kept confessing to things that were making us give her a hard time.

That was really fun, though lol

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

i couldnt stop laughing at that...
GUYS WTF I DIDNT DO ANYTHING!

WHAT THE HELL!

OMG WHAT IS GOING ON!

all while someone was giving her shit about her "confessions"
though i am glad you finally broke down and told her :lol:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 am

Just got my corporate laptop upgraded to 2 gigs of ram. :lol:
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 am

Wow. I remember installing 2 Gigs of Ram on laptops back in 2009.

Well, to be honest, there are still ~ 1/3 of our desktops running on 512 megas.

I think I haven't facepalmed enough at my boss today.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 am

Sagara wrote:Wow. I remember installing 2 Gigs of Ram on laptops back in 2009.

Well, to be honest, there are still ~ 1/3 of our desktops running on 512 megas.

I think I haven't facepalmed enough at my boss today.

I think I had 1.5 before. And my co-worker beside me only had 1 gig. Can be kind of painful when you've got about 8-10 windows open.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 am

So.. Instagram...

Working as only a subsidiary of Facebook (or perhaps Netflix) could, they first rolled out what they characterized as a simplification of their ToS, but of course allowed themselves vast new powers, and then pulled back when everyone revolted, except they really didn't pull back. Based on their new wording, which still isn't final, you still could see your images in ads, without compensation.

The best course seems to be to go back to Flickr if you really are a photographer, or start using something like Pick or Twitter if you are just sharing photos of your breakfast...

Will be interesting and amusing to see how it plays out.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.
ToS cannot in most european law I've read (including danish) in anyway take away your rights to material you hold the copyright to, and you are the only one that is allowed to earn money, unless specifically* sold to others.

Unless such a contract specifically exists, not only is all earnings from selling the use of your work forfeit to you, you are entitled to compensatory damages in a punitive amount. Doing it comercially and systemically is an aggrevating circumstance.

*Specifically meaning a specific contract describing the sold work, and which rights specifically are transferred and which aren't.

Yeah, I don't see how these companies get it through their legal departments - its lawsuits waiting to happen, and as soon as the first settlement/verdict hhits the news, everyone will want thier piece - meaning its a bankruptcy more than likely.
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 am

A lady has a grievance against our dept, but always calls and bitches that her pc never works and that our techs never show up.

Maybe we would show up and offer service if we didnt have a grievance against the dept as a whole in the first place.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am

Nooska wrote:Yeah, I don't see how these companies get it through their legal departments - its lawsuits waiting to happen, and as soon as the first settlement/verdict hhits the news, everyone will want thier piece - meaning its a bankruptcy more than likely.

In the US, by and large, it's all down to time, money and fear: making any potential claimants afraid of the size of the of your legal warchest, and betting that they won't have the money or time to pursue it to its end.

In such civil cases, our legal and IP system is notoriously broken.
benebarba

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am

Aye, in europe (at least denmark) you can't do that as much - ogh and there are national organisations that will take on the copyright holders claims if they feel it is a case where principles might be at stake.
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

Nooska wrote:What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.
ToS cannot in most european law I've read (including danish) in anyway take away your rights to material you hold the copyright to, and you are the only one that is allowed to earn money, unless specifically* sold to others.

ToS never really take away your rights, you're granting other people rights to use your stuff. Some ToS seem wonky on first glance, like all cloud storage services have a term about you granting them the right to duplicate and copy, which sounds bad until you realize that they mean they need to copy the file among their servers.

Here's a decent rundown of the new ToS and how they're actually more limited than the old ones: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... eally-mean
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

Nooska wrote:Aye, in europe (at least denmark) you can't do that as much - ogh and there are national organisations that will take on the copyright holders claims if they feel it is a case where principles might be at stake.

The organizations here that do that are terribly one-sided.. (i.e. the oxymoron of the ACLU).

What does work here is class-action lawsuits, but those are typically resolved in favor of the attorneys running them.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Flex wrote:
Nooska wrote:What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.

ToS never really take away your rights, you're granting other people rights to use your stuff. Some ToS seem wonky on first glance, like all cloud storage services have a term about you granting them the right to duplicate and copy, which sounds bad until you realize that they mean they need to copy the file among their servers.

Right, and there are a number of similar important clauses... I think most take issue with when that article is not longer used to cover necessary use due to infrastructure or technology, and instead result in 'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.

I recall seeing something from some recent round of Facebook or Instagram TOS updates that said something like "we retain the rights until the user deletes the account, except when the content had been shared with others and they retain a copy" ... which *could* mean they never have to reliquish the granted rights since they can't really prove that a copy doesn't remain in someone's cache, or they specifically define the terms to exclude that type of copy.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General