Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.1

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.1

Postby benebarba » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 pm

The Ruins of Korune

This one ended kind of oddly to me: somewhat anticlimactic, so much that I wonder if somehow it bugged out and I missed something important. Anywho... onto the dramatization!

****SPOILERS******
Connelly was right: the summons did come soon, about a day later. Thanks to my vision, and the hard work of the Explorers’ League and the Lorewalkers, we had determined the location of the crypt: it lay a short flight north-east of the Shado-Pan Monastery. A unit of night elves under Commander Skyglaive along with a contingent from the Explorers' League had been sent to begin excavations and secure the Divine Bell. My thoughts turned to the orc who’d seen the vision as well... and I prayed that our people were better than whoever Hellscream had tasked.

Admiral Taylor had my orders, and they were simple: Ensure the operation was a success. Fennie was again nice enough to provide me fast transportation to the site. The terrace was strewn with rubble, and the shapes of armed night elves, dwarves and a lone human (no less than Anduin Wrynn!) scurried about the newly opened crypt. I wondered if they’d been privy to all of the details of this place... and on seeing Brann Bronzebeard, I prayed that this would go better than our previous adventures.

Commander Skyglaive beckoned me to her side as she made final preparations for entering the cave. Somewhere below us lay the Divine Bell... somewhere in that unholy tomb, lit only by the werelights of long dead spellweavers and populated by an untold number of restless spirits. She was to lead the scouting party, and asked if I could lend my aid. Perhaps some of those spirits would soon find peace.

I found the architecture familiar... not unlike other mogu tombs in the region. So it was little surprise when we reached the threshold of the first chamber and saw the intricate tiling of the pressure plate traps favored by the mogu, and the too-real statues of warriors with weapons ready. What did come as a surprise, however, was the immense wraith floating at the center of the room, topped by a ghastly mogu face, twisted by suffering and the ravages of time.

The wraith looked straight through us, as though blinded by the little sunlight that made its way down the stairs. It spoke quietly with a voice that held power, but had found little use of late: “Light... I see... light. Finally, after centuries of silence, someone comes at last.”
The voice seemed familiar, but I couldn’t immediately place it.
“I have kept the bell safe as promised, Master,” it continued.
The realization struck me, just in time to see the wraith straighten angrily and somehow illuminate the room, then boom:
“You are not mogu! Intruders! Guardians, awaken! Destroy those who would steal the Thunder King's treasure!” It was the Korune spellweaver that had been entombed in my vision.

Suddenly, the two great statues flanking the wraith broke free of their bindings and lumbered towards us, weapons raised high. I would allow no harm to come to my companions and so calling upon the powers of The Light I rushed before Commander Skyglaive. I cast my shield at the constructs and engaged them head-on, trusting in The Light. The massive statues rained blows upon me as the night elves unleashed death. It didn’t take long to reduce the golems to rubble, but we’d lost sight of the wraith.

We delved deeper into the tomb, bringing a final rest to the poor souls left to wander this prison so long ago. Finally we came to another cavernous room with a large bell set on a dais at the far end, beneath a carving of a large mogu standing amongst the clouds holding two great orbs in his hands. In front of the dais was the wraith.

The wraith lashed out at us as we approached. Calling upon the power of The Light to shield me, I stood toe-to-toe with the creature. Skyglaive and her scouts unleashed their full might. But the wraith was not to be taken down so easily. It began to channel some foul magic, akin to that of the Sha themselves. Again and again it battered at us, my faith in The Light shielding me against the worst the wraith could conjure. Skyglaive proved a powerful warrior, using attacks the like of which I had not seen before. Finally the wraith dissipated, its bindings clattering to the floor. I did not know what, if any, peace that wretched soul would find but I prayed its rest would be final.

Before us lay our prize: the Divine Bell itself! Commander Skyglaive summoned the remainder of the team to secure the area as night elf mages prepared some manner of spell. Skyglaive turned to me, and dismissed me nearly as soon as the mages had arrived: apparently even I wasn’t to be trusted with the hiding place for the bell. And so I picked my way back through the tomb and finally flew back to my farm for some well-deserved rest.
****END SPOILERS******
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 pm

The Purge of Dalaran

Next chapter, alliance side.

I definitely didn't come out of it cheering for Jaina... so that comes out here. But man, the story's getting good :D

***** SPOILERS *****
The news came quickly: The bell had been stolen from its 'safe' location in Darnassus. Jaina Proudmoore had followed the signs left behind and found a portal that lead to Dalaran. Given recent events, her immediate conclusion was not a surprise: the Sunreavers were aiding the Horde.

She took me with her to confront Aethas Sunreaver in Dalaran.

I have been in many battles in my three decades on Azeroth, proudly wielding The Light as the righteous shield and sword of the Alliance. I have seen the horrors of war and the aftermath of many heinous crimes committed by all manner of being. I'd even been on the first Alliance ship to reach Theramore after the bomb. All of these things made the events that followed no easier to accept. I will not lie, not to myself nor to The Light: I was ashamed to be an Alliance Paladin that day.

It began when Proudmoore cut down Aethas' guards, who had barely had time to respond to her sudden appearance, leaving them little more than bloody chunks of ice on the floor of the Violet Citadel. Aethas appeared, regally descending the staircase as Jaina proclaimed that he, and the Sunreavers, had betrayed the Kirin Tor.

Aethas protested, saying that he had done nothing. Jaina's response seemed to indicate that was precisely the problem. In the same breath, she banished the sunreavers from Dalaran. When Aethas reminded Jaina that Dalaran was their home as well, she declared that they would be removed with force and encased Aethas in a block of ice before he could act.

With that, she turned and walked down the front steps. Already, I could hear the calamity building outside. Vereesa Windrunner approached me, and ordered - ordered! - me to help with their dirty work. Her bearing and speech left little doubt as to my chances of survival had I turned away. Perhaps I could talk some sense into some of these 'hold-outs'? After all, some of them had been people who I'd given much coin during the Northrend Campaign. So, I listened to the instructions.

I started with the Sunreaver dragonhawks: surely putting them to sleep wouldn't cause any harm, and may buy me some time to come up with an alternative to being party to a massacre. Windrunner didn't mention that the sleeping powder would only work on greatly weakened beasts, perhaps because she didn't care. I wondered what else she left out because she didn't care.

As I left Krasus Landing, I found the excitement on the street had died down, and scattered Sin'Dorei cowered at my appearance. I tried to reach out to one young man, cowering as though I were doom itself, when a screams down the street drew my attention. At once I understood why this man cowered before me: Walking down the street, flanked by two great water elementals was Jaina Proudmoore. She was yelling about betrayal and burning any in her path. He expected I would do the same.

Not wanting my mercy to be mistaken for weakness, or worse: complicity, I ran toward the Sunreaver's Sanctuary on my next grim errand. I tried to speak with the first guard, but he answered me with a raised weapon. And before I knew it, I had cut him down. Other Sunreavers had witnessed the attack… or at least the end, and immediately attacked me. By The Light, I killed many that day. In self-defense perhaps, but it was not battle. It was slaughter.

After my task had been finished, I returned to Lion's Landing. Not hours after returning, while trying to find drink strong enough to help me forget the days events, I was summoned to a meeting with the king. He was none too pleased by Proudmoore's actions, as he'd apparently been in talks with the Sin'Dorei to bring them back to the Alliance. Something which would never come to pass, as word of the massacre had already spread. Proudmoore seemed to almost taunt the king with her words: "Once a Horde, always a Horde. I see that now." and left him with the words: "Don't go soft on me.".

After the meeting I stumbled back to the bar, before flying back to the Shrine. Connelly had left me a message: apparently the Sunreavers blamed Hellscream as much as Proudmoore. Proudmoore had started down the same road as Arthas Menethil, justified or not. I recalled the Frozen Throne, and the chill of Icecrown. I shivered. My head hurt. I needed sleep.

May I be forgiven.
****** END SPOILERS ******
benebarba

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 am

In before Jaina the new lich king
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 am

Worldie wrote:In before Jaina the new lich king

Nah, Bolvar is just getting his butt-groove worked into the frozen throne.

I doubt she'll become a boss in the near future. At least I hope this isn't a setup for a raid full of lore figures on both sides that got touched in a naughty place by old gods/sha/whatever.

But my paladin did feel the purge was a bit too close for comfort... and I still don't know that I actually know what happened to the bell. It reeked of frame job from my view.
benebarba

Postby Sagara » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 am

benebarba wrote:
Worldie wrote:In before Jaina the new lich king

Nah, Bolvar is just getting his butt-groove worked into the frozen throne.

I doubt she'll become a boss in the near future. At least I hope this isn't a setup for a raid full of lore figures on both sides that got touched in a naughty place by old gods/sha/whatever.

But my paladin did feel the purge was a bit too close for comfort... and I still don't know that I actually know what happened to the bell. It reeked of frame job from my view.

Yeah. When I saw the whole thing in the end I wondered exactly where Fanlyr's loyalties lay. And axactly how much "cleaning up" he did behind us in Darnassus, and if he may have let Jaina find out to sabotage the Blood Elf/Alliance talks.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:07 am

I still don't understand where you guys are reading all this.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 am

They're not "reading" it. They're doing the quests then writing up what happened.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 am

Why I'm doing the new dailies and I ain't getting a single storyline quest? :\

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 am

Worldie wrote:Why I'm doing the new dailies and I ain't getting a single storyline quest? :\

Have you gone back to Lion's Landing (or the horde equivalent) to pick up the quests? Admiral Taylor on the Alliance side is the one who gives these out - IIRC, the first is to go do the 'A Little Patience' scenario, then you get more as you gain rep.

This site breaks down the quest/rep levels for the alliance side(I haven't verified them):
http://www.wowpedia.org/Operation:_Shieldwall

If you haven't gotten any of them, I'd contact a GM. It's the primary lore exposition of this patch.
benebarba

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:13 am

Sigh.

Sounds like more dailies... :\ I dinged friendly today >.<

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:15 am

It's a tad different - every time you reach a specific reputation cap, you become eligible for a one-shot series of quests that together form the overarching plot of this patch.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:20 am

Worldie wrote:Sigh.

Sounds like more dailies... :\ I dinged friendly today >.<

Thankfully, these seem to work as better breadcrumbs than gear alone. Kind of like how you learn more about the Klaxxi as you progress with them, but you get story bits more often (not just at each rep level). And after you get revered, it starts going really fast, because of the commendations.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 am

Sagara wrote:It's a tad different - every time you reach a specific reputation cap, you become eligible for a one-shot series of quests that together form the overarching plot of this patch.

I may have misunderstood when I made my last post: yeah, these story quests are one-offs sprinked in the rep grind, not more dailies. The number of dailies stays the same.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 am

The quests don't require you to do "A Little Patience", but if you've not done it, the ! marker from that quest will hide these ones when they appear (given by same NPC).

Also note, the quests don't seem to relate just to Friendly/Honored/Revered, but seem to happen based on the actual amount of rep you have (or maybe number of quests done?).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fenris » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 am

I finished the alliance quest line a week ago (after someone remembered me that the shieldwall commendation works on the main character too,not only on alts)

Garrosh looks even more stupid than before,while i see where they are going with Varian...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

PreviousNext

Return to General