Windows 8?

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Levantine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Oh thank god. I thought I was the only one who had a bad taste left in his mouth by trying to use metro on a desktop. If I'm forced to use it you can pry 7 out of my cold dead hands.
Levantine

Postby PsiVen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Windows 8 will probably be a big thing for Intel in the tablet market, if they can actually price competitively. But since they felt it necessary to make Windows RT, I don't think that will be true for years yet.

As a desktop system, it's already a flop. Businesses will ignore it and consumers will be annoyed by the needless changes. The Windows Store on a desktop platform is going to be a disaster; I don't think Valve has much to fear from the folks responsible for GFWL.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Koatanga » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 pm

At least we can look forward to there being no upgrade path from 7 to 9 except via 8, just like how you couldn't go from XP to 7 without going through Vista.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I think the desktop version will get some love from people using the tablets that want a similar interface. People just flat out upgrading from 7 to 8 though, I see that as less likely, unless something amazing comes out of 8.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

Koatanga wrote:At least we can look forward to there being no upgrade path from 7 to 9 except via 8, just like how you couldn't go from XP to 7 without going through Vista.

Oh, I dunno, it could be done with a clean install.
Legally and licensewise you were allowed to, just no out-of-the box upgrade options (and required changing something in the registry), overall not that hard.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:23 pm

I work for a Large Private School Organisation (130 schools and counting, 5 office sites).

For us the official line is that thre are no plans to upgrade to windows 8.
Our current SOE is Win7(32bit) and IE9, soon to be 64bit Win7 with the hardware rollover due before christmas.

Bottom line is that while yes, the metro interface may look good and work well on mobile devices, it is not at all suited to a desktop/laptop environment. And therein lies the issue.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 pm

To be fair, there isn't really much of an incentive to upgrade to 8 from 7 in the first place. If you're on Vista (god forbid) then I could maybe see jumping to 8. If you're still using XP, you really should upgrade to at least 7, as I imagine it's not going to be supported for too much longer (if it even still is.)

I do wonder what the US military's plans are, since we tend to be behind when upgrades are concerned (I know some places that are still working on a Vista upgrade... though I'm currently on a machine with 7.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby shadoh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Skye1013 wrote:I do wonder what the US military's plans are, since we tend to be behind when upgrades are concerned (I know some places that are still working on a Vista upgrade... though I'm currently on a machine with 7.)

With the migration rolling out, i find it hard to believe we will be rolling out win 8 anytime soon. Having finished our 7 push last year, and still running a few 2k3 servers... we are way behind the ball. For once it might be a good thing, looking at it from a network admin's point of view, win 8 would be a horrible idea for productivity and hopping to it right away scares me with vulnerabilities. But it is the military so who know what we'll get forced to push onto our users.
shadoh

Postby Mozen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm

I remember reading two main points why desktop users should not upgrade to Windows 8.

(1) You cannot turn off the Windows 8 UI interface (originally named "Metro"). There's no "Classic Mode" or anything.

(2) All non-Win8 applications are still accessible, but they will all use the ugly old icons instead of automatically default to a style that fits into the Windows 8 UI.

I'm not sure if anything have changed since then, but I sure am not going to upgrade. Touch oriented interface simply won't work on a desktop where the display is usually at an arm's length.

The Leap gadget looks very promising, though. If Windows is able to integrate it in such a way that I only have to lift my hands (or even just fingers) to point at the screen and it correctly detects my gestures, then it's perfect.

But still, since I work with text just about all the time, a touch interface is more a toy for me than anything. It would do more good for CAD people, maybe?
Mozen

Postby Arnock » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm

So, I bit the bullet and installed windows 8 on my desktop.

And... it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Dual monitor support is marginally better, the taskbar stretches across both monitors.

The start screen is definitely not designed for desktop use, but it does work, and I'm getting used to it. I find that I've been keeping desktop/taskbar shortcuts for my most frequently used applications, and leave icons/shortcuts for less frequently used apps in the start screen, and it's working out pretty well. I actually am starting to like it better than the old start menu.

If you really hate the start screen, you can more or less ignore it completely after booting up, and then the OS looks and feels almost identical to win7, if slightly prettier.

Some of the 'metro' (or whatever MS wants to call it now) apps are alright, built-in netflix is pretty nice.

IE Sucks... less.

But the real winner for me: Holy boot times batman.

From completely powered off to the windows login screen, it seems like it takes aproximately the same time to boot as windows 7. However, it's nearly instantaneous to go from the login screen to the desktop. Seriously, it's fast.

For $40 bucks, I'd say it's worth the upgrade for the boot time decrease alone, but I wouldn't pay full price. I like that MS is trying to standardize desktop and tablet OS/applications. iOS and android are both nice, but they're still not up to the functionality of a true destop OS, and Windows 8 is heading in that direction.

The only real downside I found was the start screen, but I've been getting used to it, and might actually start preferring it over the old start menu. The only thing that I can say that I probably won't ever like about the new UI, is that it's more annoying to power down the PC(hover cursor in top corner of screen ->settings->power->shut down.) I think think that's because most tablets are designed to hibernate/lock rather than powering down completely.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Talaii » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Arnock wrote:The only real downside I found was the start screen, but I've been getting used to it, and might actually start preferring it over the old start menu. The only thing that I can say that I probably won't ever like about the new UI, is that it's more annoying to power down the PC(hover cursor in top corner of screen ->settings->power->shut down.) I think think that's because most tablets are designed to hibernate/lock rather than powering down completely.

It's fairly easy to make a start menu shortcut to shutdown if you want. I have both shutdown and reboot on my start screen. The start screen is fairly nice in general - it needs one new feature to be ideal imo (live tiles from desktop apps). You can pin desktop apps to the taskbar, and you can still do the start button -> start typing trick, as in 7 (though it categorizes the search, rather than just presenting everything). Just make sure you have a look through the keyboard shortcuts (Win + C and Win + X get a lot of use here).

I'm liking win8 a lot. I was considering getting one of the start menu replacements and just treating it like 7, but I find that (limited) use of metro apps is even good - especially on a three-screen setup. I've got an IM client snapped to the edge of one screen constantly, and some of the metro-style apps are quite nice (they tend to look a lot cleaner than other apps - no taskbar and very little UI means more space for actual content). Additionally, there's a lot of minor improvements that are so much better than in 7 (file copy progress box is night and day, as is the task manager).
Talaii

Postby Arnock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 pm

I've found the netflix metro app to be quite nice myself.

Also, natively being able to have a wallpaper spread across multiple monitors.

I wish valve would get off its high horse and create a metro app for steam. It seems like that would be a pretty ideal type of program to work with the new UI.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

Arnock wrote:I've found the netflix metro app to be quite nice myself.

Also, natively being able to have a wallpaper spread across multiple monitors.

I wish valve would get off its high horse and create a metro app for steam. It seems like that would be a pretty ideal type of program to work with the new UI.

Valve's too busy getting into the PC console business.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Arnock wrote:the taskbar stretches across both monitors.

Ugh. Can this be changed? I have four monitors and would hate to have the taskbar run all the way across.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:33 pm

^same - well I only have 2 monitors, but one is my display, I don't want a taskbar there - the other is my "stuff" monitor where I keep the taskbar and all the files/shortcuts I want while I'm using my Display.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Stuff