Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby samsara » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 am

Skyfyr is in retgear atm in my armory :)

@schroom

i would probably go for the heroic part without haste in this case but for me personaly it's more depending on the breakpoints so if you be somewhere >=20% you will get the additional tick out of sacred shield. As far i can see you would be with SOI and Raibbuffs (if you have spellhaste).

I tried quite a lot different combinations and most of the time i don't realy "feel" some difference for a few "%" of haste so i just decided to be over the 20% breakpoint for sacred shield as this is somehow something which is allways up and gets even stronger with vengeance.
samsara

Postby Schroom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

mh ok, could you tell me how to calculate my effective haste with all raid-buffs? so I can check this for myself in the future' :)
Schroom

Postby samsara » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am

your armory value + 10% Seal of Insight + 5% Spellhaste Raidbuff ( i don't think the meleehaste have any influence on sacred shield)

Raidbufflist: http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5 ... patch-504/
samsara

Postby Schroom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am

yeah that is basically what theck writes in his Blog. But the SS breakpoints are: 10%, 30%, 50% and so on. I don't see anything happening at 20%...

My actual Haste is 6.06 so with 5% spellhaste buf and 10% from SOI this gives me: 1.0606*1.05*1.1=1.224993 resulting in 22.5% Sp-haste if I understood Theck correctly.
so using the Heroic Belt makes me lose roughly 1.1% Haste on the charactersheet which puts me after buffs at: 21.23% Sp-haste. so it really doesn't matter at all for breakbpoints, BUT it maters greatly for meleehaste and HoPo generation I guess which is a complete different kind of monster.
Schroom

Postby Nooska » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Spellhaste buffs aren't multiplicative, they are additive, they don't increase you haste by 10% (respectively 5%) of what you have, they add 10% (respectively 5%) to your spell haste, so you have an actual 21.06% spell haste with those 2 buffs.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby theckhd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

What? No, they're multiplicative. SoI, the raid buff, heroism, and haste from rating are all multiplicative with each other.

Easily tested: 9.03% spell haste w/o SoI, 19.94% with SoI.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Schroom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 am

I was just applying what I read in Thecks Blog. If my math is wrong please tell ^^ nonetheless. I'm still split between the dessision between those two belts... if we are counting the meleehaste in.
Schroom

Postby Nooska » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 am

theckhd wrote:What? No, they're multiplicative. SoI, the raid buff, heroism, and haste from rating are all multiplicative with each other.

Easily tested: 9.03% spell haste w/o SoI, 19.94% with SoI.

My bad, I was confusing the wording of them with the crit, stats and mastery buffs - they do indded "increase your haste by 10%" (5% respectively).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Skyfyr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Sorry about the armory. Been a few days and forgot to make sure to log out in Prot set. Should be in the prot gear now. Thanks.
Skyfyr

Postby econ21 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Schroom wrote:yeah that is basically what theck writes in his Blog. But the SS breakpoints are: 10%, 30%, 50% and so on. I don't see anything happening at 20%...

Yeah, that was what I took from the blog: at my gear level (487), I don't think I could hit 30% if I want to be hard capped on threat stats. It's a minor nudge towards gemming for stamina rather than haste, something I am very undecided on. (I worked out it is a 5% haste vs 37k buffed health trade off for me.)
econ21

Postby Harb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi All,

Below is my current tank gear and spec. Now i am concerned about the threat gen that i am producing. I seem to hold off on the initial pull i generally pull with Avenging wrath, ss, judgement/Avengers shield, CS, Cons and then i i tend to lose threat really quick but if i taunt back i can hold it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... u/advanced

I am thinking of going from control/mastery to control haste would this help?

Thanks in advance.

Harb
Harb

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am

Harb wrote:i tend to lose threat really quick but if i taunt back i can hold it.
I am thinking of going from control/mastery to control haste would this help?

Haste does give more dps, although at your gear level (which is similar to mine), I doubt it would be a game changer. In fact, I doubt it's a gear issue at all - maybe your dps just need to hold back a bit more on the pull?

If you do want to adjust your gear, getting to expertise cap (15%) would help. It would probably require using some expertise gems. You could compensate by switching your dodge trinket for the DMF stamina trinket.

You could think about switching the glyph of dazing shield for arbalester shield or even focused shield. (I avoid the latter because unglyphed AS is so good for trash, but there's a strong case for switching to it on most raid bosses).

If threat on the pull is really an issue, you could open with holy avenger (I've macro'd it to avenging wrath).
econ21

Postby Ardrhyst » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm feeling somewhat lacking direction in what stat I should be prioritizing at this point, be it mastery or stamina.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... yst/simple

I've been attempting to hit caps on hit and expertise pretty hard, and am just about there. I've been using mastery as my secondary stat for gemming, but I'm not feeling whether that's paying off. We were doing Will of the Emperor 10 normal on Thursday and I had a couple of tank deaths. There were certainly healer complications, but I was dying to strings of four or five unmitigated hits.

The gear is a work in progress, certainly, but the ultimate question is whether I would be better off jumping on the stamina train or the mastery train now that I'm hit/exp capped. My guild's fairly casual 10 normal, and in the past I've eschewed some stamina stacking because it didn't feel necessary for normals... but now I'm just not sure anymore.

Suggestions on where to go from here?
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm up in the air on the issue of how much stamina to stack - it does not seem to be an issue where there is a clear right answer. You might pick up one or two stamina trinkets. Stamina from gems is twice as costly in terms of foregone ratings as stamina from trinkets. Plus trinkets are easier to swop around than regemming. The VP stamina trinket is a solid purchase and the Darkmoon Faire stamina card seems to be one of the cheaper ones (10k on my backwoods server, compared to 30k for dps trinkets).

Personally, I've decided to go haste rather than mastery, because of the dps and it seems better at stopping the worst damage spikes. But I've followed Theck/AskMrRobot's priorisation of stamina for gems, which means I have precious little haste after hitting expertise and hit caps. I might switch priority to haste if I could ever hit the 30% break point or feel the stamina is unnecessary.
econ21

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am

This is always a discussion every teir / expac. But there really is no magic number for how much stam you ~should~ have. It's just the point where you feel comfortable, your healers are comfortable and you dying is not the cause of a wipe (IE: not the first to bite the dust).

I sit with just under 600k and I have both hit and hard exp caps with around 6700 haste rating. I think I just put in my first hybrid stam gem cause I didn't need the haste/hit one. The only issues where my health have been a concern is when we're pushing new content and the healers aren't ready for the damage intake. But after a few attempts, they know what to expect, I know what to expect and we move from there.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice