The Secret World

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: The Secret World: How to get the most out of your trial

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm

GW2 dungeons are challenging...or at least hte constant repawning trash is :evil:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby d503 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 pm

bldavis wrote:GW2 dungeons are challenging...or at least hte constant repawning trash is :evil:

GW2 dungeons are amazing if you're a table tennis fan. I can't help but express my overall letdown on the PvE content in that game, but I guess that's my fault for getting my hopes up ;)
d503

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:00 pm

yeah
the dungeons are a bit meh, but i love the story

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Gracerath » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh man. This makes it MUCH more likely I'll pick this up. And the subscription perks are nice but not game breaking, unlike a lot of other cash shop perks in other games *cough*Planetside2*cough* I also like that they are setting the precedent for $5 DLC mission packs. Sounds a lot like the DDO pricing model. They are one of the few games who did that shit right. Hopefully they'll stay in that nice bite size $5 range. I loved the game setting so hard... it is a challenge to not buy this immediately. But I need to be more careful with my game purchases...

As far as GW2 dungeons, they certainly are less challenging than I thought some would be or at the very least inconsistently challenging. Some explorable paths are pretty damn easy. Others, not so much. I'm still of the opinion that it is probably the best PvE experience I've had, at least as far as leveling/exploring go.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm

oh god i hated doing a dungeon due to trash respawning constantly, but i am LOVING exploring and just roaming around doing w/e

bldavis

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm

So... what do you gain by still paying a sub? Or in the case of those that bought the "lifetime subscription" what benefit are they seeing, or are they just out $200?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Skye1013 wrote:So... what do you gain by still paying a sub? Or in the case of those that bought the "lifetime subscription" what benefit are they seeing, or are they just out $200?

From the link:

New Membership Available

For those who want to get the most out of their Secret World experience we have an optional Membership available. Being a monthly subscriber, for the same cost as before, now gives great benefits. For being a member you get the following:

Time Accelerator (Clickable item which increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour, 16 hour cool-down – only usable by Members and Grand Masters)
$10 worth of Bonus Points (given out every month)
Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month)
10% discount to everything in the in-game store

The Grandmaster pack includes all these benefits and gets an additional 10% discount to everything in the in-game store, for a total bonus of 20%. So being a Grandmaster is better than ever!
Through the month of December we have a special offer where we give 30% off on the first purchase on the 3, 6 and 12 month Membership plans.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 pm

I thought they meant it when they said "no plans for F2P". Joke's on me, I guess.

Am I reading it right that this is based on GW2? Box purchase, then pay for more content instead of a sub? Tbh I think this model seems fairer, at least it fits me more. I'm playing tSW for the missions, and if I'm now going to pay €5 for each issue instead of €15 each month, well...lot of cash saved.

I can't say I really see the point of being a Member, but if you got money to spare it's not such a bad deal I guess. I'll stick with buying each issue as it is released.

It still is and has always been an awesome game.
Paxen

Postby sahiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Yeah, i'm actually interested now and downloading it, I tried the beta and it was decent, but not enough so to buy a box, pay a sub and have micro transactions as well. Now, I'll give it a chance, especially with all the extra content and the time they've had to fix bugs, etc.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Re: The Secret World

Postby sahiel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm

For anyone still on the fence;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VTVKG6/

$15 atm.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Well, that sealed the deal. Picked it up.

So, this begs the question. How much of the game is solo friendly? I'm a dirty casual these days. Also, as far as the grouping goes, how easy is it to find groups? Is there a tool in game to help create them or do I stand around looking at chat hoping for a group? Etc.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby d503 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Gracerath wrote:Well, that sealed the deal. Picked it up.

So, this begs the question. How much of the game is solo friendly? I'm a dirty casual these days. Also, as far as the grouping goes, how easy is it to find groups? Is there a tool in game to help create them or do I stand around looking at chat hoping for a group? Etc.

The entire questing game is solo friendly (some are elite quests in the later zones, and harder to do unless you have a good build).

The dungeons are obviously all group, but I believe they put in LFD recently, so you should be set there.
d503

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:26 am

And unlike WoW the questing game is actually challenging. I wouldn't worry about it being solo-friendly, quite a few people complain that it's not a real mmo simply because there's so much you can do solo (and that there are parts you have to do solo, in solo instances).

I've always liked questing in WoW, but tSW blows it away. I've actually only done two dungeons, and one of those was two-manning the Halloween dungeon.
Paxen

Postby Gracerath » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I made an initial investment of points towards the Bounty Hunter deck. Of all the weapons, I like the shotgun the most and it seems to do really well with the packs of wimpy zombies in Kingsmouth.

Which brings me to another question, at what point in the game can you expect to finish the non starter decks? After clearing most zones? Some of the abilities take quite a large chunk of points to unlock.

Also, while I have two weapons (shotgun and pistol), how does swapping them work with the hotkey bar? Do I just put shotgun abilities on 1-3 and then pistol abilities on 4-7 (or however I want to distribute them) when I get them or does the hotbar actually swap over to the new weapon set? I did the whole switch weapon hotkey (default Shift + R) and nothing happened, though like I said, I don't actually have any pistol abilities unlocked yet.

God damn I love the music and setting. Rawr. The doctor guy at the start of the Illuminati area is so good. The voice acting is quite excellent.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 am

I didn't finish a deck before I was nearly done with Transylvania, but I think I could have made it long before that if I tried. But the decks aren't the ultimate builds in any way, after a while you should be able to create better builds on your own. For one thing they only have passives from two weapons, even though passives aren't limited to only the weapons you carry (my Pistol/Elemental crit/chain build suddenly became viable again after I put in the Hammer Elite passive Forged in Fire, which is massive for soloing). I only finished one for the outfit.

However, they are pretty nice templates to work towards when you're starting out. But after a while you want to find the synergies yourself.

Weapons get switched automatically as you use different active abilities, so no need to worry about that.

And totally agree on the voice acting. That and the writing is what makes the game really special.
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games