Intimidated to return?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Intimidated to return?

Postby Teranoid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 am

It would have been interesting to have all dailies past the VP cap switch to JP. There's probably some glaring technical issues with that but hey.. it's a nice idea.

At least when it comes to dailies and whatnot they realized the mistakes they made with all the gating and how it relates to not only mains but alts as well. Judging by the latest round of dev interviews it's more than likely going to change going forward. The commendation thing is a nice step forward but it still needs a lot of work imo.

Looking back at the daily quests, anything that rewards player power feels mandatory to raiders, but this has to be balanced with giving purely cosmetic rewards. There has to be enough of a reward to encourage players to do some quests, but not so much that it feels mandatory for everyone.
Teranoid

Postby tlitp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

Shyrtandros wrote:I have been gone from WoW now for probably 18 months give or take (...) What are your thoughts, feedback & personal experiences when you have left and returned to a game after such a long absence?

Shrug it off and give it a go. Resubscribing for a month should clear the waters.

Off-topic : I did giggle a bit over those 18mo. My first alt (Prot Warrior) has been inactive since late 1.11. The main (Rogue), since 3.1 was on the PTR. Then again, I'm not resurrecting anything anytime soon.
tlitp

Postby Stubblerump » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

*sarcasm* WoW has gotten exponentially harder to play with every expac since TBC.

It's too easy. Between this site, Noxxic, and Mr Robot, all you've got to think about is smashing keys. The rep grind sucks, but most of it really is optional, unless you want the mounts or crafting patterns. The LFR gear, while 6 ilvls lower than valor, is still almost universally better itemized than the valor gear. And you can farm valor from dungeons for ilvl upgrades on LFR gear. Heroic dungeon gear and LFR gear is more than sufficient to go raid with if that's your thing.
Stubblerump

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm

halabar wrote:I'd love to see Blizz's numbers on the amount of time spent on "alts", I imagine it's slowing way down once people hit 90 and realize how much work it will be to get them geared.

I'd imagine alts are always low at the beginning of any new expansion/patch cycle due to all focus being put on the primary play character.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nooska » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 pm

*has 4 level 90's and gearing the second character for raids now - damn missing a tank*
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 am

Nooska wrote:*has 4 level 90's and gearing the second character for raids now - damn missing a tank*

All my alt playing stopped when I found out about the Rep Commendation addition in 5.1, hit 90 in Townlong with a little bit of Shado-Pan quests left so all of Dreadwastes to go. Now I'll pick it back up since I finished the 5.1 Rep on my main.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby DisRuptive1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:I almost get this feeling like I'll be climbing Mount Everest without any supplies. I feel intimidated to come back and try to catch up with everyone else when it comes to gear, knowledge, etc....

I had this same issue after a long hiatus (shorter than yours). My best advice is to just reactivate your account and start playing. If you run into problems ask questions here or look up stuff on WoWHead.
DisRuptive1

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 am

Also, if you haven't activated your account yet, and know of any friends that still play, have them send you a scroll of resurrection. That way, you'll get an extra alt leveled to 80 (or was it 85?) with two professions maxed out.

I was also coming back for MoP, but was unaware of this scroll thing, else I'd have asked someone to use it on me.

As for the grinding dailies for rep for valor items, that's not a must. You probably should grind the Tiller dailies (center of Valley of the Four Winds) until you're exalted for the 16 farm spot, but other than that... You can spend Valor either on buying these pieces or upgrade epics from other sources. At the start you won't have any epics, but it takes 3 weeks to reach the cap. Hopefully you have at least one nice epic looted from LFR to upgrade by then.

Even if you want to buy the epics, you only get so much valor at once, so you don't need to grind them all at once. Shieldwall/Offensive (Krasarang Wilds) is probably the place to start, considering these items are slightly higher ilvl.

Note that the upgrade NPC is currently not present on the PTR, so this might no longer be an option in 5.2.

Also, if the rep items become available for JP that changes things, as there's no cap on JP, so suddenly grinding out every single daily path to revered (and Klaxxi/Golden Lotus to exalted for the quest reward) might become a good thing.

(I hope Blizzard has some mechanic in play that doesn't force new level 90s post 5.2 to grind the heck out of all the dailies, and then grind the heck out of heroics for the JP to buy these.)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby twinkfist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 am

i have two 90's right now...warrior and paladin. my paladin is my main but my warrior gets some love. i have two other alts i play...86 shaman and 85 dk...i barely touch those. my shaman is my enchanter...but right now i just use him to DE stuff.

i'll maybe get around to leveling them...but right now...most of my time is spent on my warrior and paladin.

have a hunter at level 45...but i just forget to level him after running all sorts of stuff with the other toons.
twinkfist

Postby Nooska » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am

Upgrading is indeed not an option in 5.2
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Previous

Return to General